Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Departure Gate Information For Next Flight Whilst In The Air. New Part Of Service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Departure Gate Information For Next Flight Whilst In The Air. New Part Of Service?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:34 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Evening all.

Just flown to LHR from GLA. During the flight, the Purser was doing a walk along, speaking to quite a few people. I thought it was maybe him speaking to the Goldies on board as there seemed to be an awful lot of people in the group 1 boarding lane. I was waiting to go to the toilet when I saw him start and he hadn’t made it halfway along when I came out to return to my seat at row 5.

The purser stopped me mid-stride and asked if I was the gentleman from 5D to which I replied in the affirmative. He then told me that he had some gate information for my onward flight (DME). He asked where I was going, I told him and he informed me that my next flight was due to board at A13 but to confirm when in the terminal.

I did think to myself that this was a welcome piece of information as it’s usually the high C gates I have to run over to but what was surprising about this little nugget of information is that my next flight was three hours later than when we were due to land. Have never had that before. Is this new?

S

Last edited by Saltire74; Jul 22, 2019 at 11:01 am Reason: Spelling corrections.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Not exactly new, but it's not always the case the SCCM can get a signal on their iPad or indeed the time to do it. Generally it gets done for the anxious who ask about it mid trajectory, or for those on tight connections when the flight is a but late. Now that most A320s have wifi I guess it's a bit easier. A few weeks ago I had an AA style announcement on either an EDI or NCL to LHR, listing the relevant gate numbers. It's a service that AA have largely stopped doing and I kind of missed it, so it was nice when the SCCM did a PA on it as we trundled up to the gate.
Saltire74 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:55 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Saltire74
He asked where I was going, I told him and he informed

Wasn't that obvious? The loo!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
except our OP was on the return leg of that particular mid trip nested journey!
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:02 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

Wasn't that obvious? The loo!
Don’t You Know Where I’m Aiming!!

Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
LX puts connecting flight depature gate information along the the arival gate info and an airport map on the screens on finals, if they get the info.
Sometimes you also get an annoucement too.
Can be very useful on a 50 min connect at ZRH.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
AA do it on the App, as well as showing where the next aircraft has come from, or is coming from.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:52 am

If this information is available in flight why cant they show the departure gate info earlier within the terminals?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
LX puts connecting flight depature gate information along the the arival gate info and an airport map on the screens on finals, if they get the info.
Sometimes you also get an annoucement too.
Can be very useful on a 50 min connect at ZRH.
BA are in the process of ripping out their drop down screens on short haul aircraft. Go figure....
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by SW7London
If this information is available in flight why cant they show the departure gate info earlier within the terminals?
Because they want you to stay in the shopping mall in T5A until the very last minute.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by aristoph
Because they want you to stay in the shopping mall in T5A until the very last minute.
Where are if they re-thought it all out and made it easier to get to and from the different gates (A, B & C), they could have a more diverse shopping experience, let passengers roam more, and make more profit.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I do always like how EK flights list the gates for flights on final. Especially as I can plan which lounge in DXB I'm going to.

I've heard it over the PA I think once on BA but was so confused and the speakers were so quiet that by the time I worked out what they were listing I think I had missed my mention.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am sure everyone is aware of this, but with Wifi pretty much to norm on shorthaul, 777s and 747s, that BA.com is free to access under this wifi and it will show your gate number on it at the same time as Heathrow's IDAHO system.

-----

Originally Posted by aristoph
Just to scotch this canard one more time. Apart from the fact that the main retail outlet (WDF) is in all three terminals, people who buy things don't do it at the last minute, and so the usual 75 minute notification for B and C isn't going to change shopping expenditure one way or the other - and HAL is fully aware of that. The problem is that until the aircraft is definitely at the departure gate, BA and HAL are loathed to tell people to go to the wrong gate. And that's one thing you rarely hear in T5 compared to many other airports: "Attention please for a gate change..." Though there are passageways to get people between terminals, experience has shown that the public tend to get horribly lost if you have to change terminals. The one time that I have had a terminal change, in a large number of flights, I think we lost about 20 passengers from the 777 in the process.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Cathay also do an excellent job of sharing this, albeit not always consistently, where my connecting flight wasn't shown but many others were. I guess they only have a limited number of slots.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The problem is that until the aircraft is definitely at the departure gate, BA and HAL are loathed to tell people to go to the wrong gate. And that's one thing you rarely hear in T5 compared to many other airports: "Attention please for a gate change..." Though there are passageways to get people between terminals, experience has shown that the public tend to get horribly lost if you have to change terminals. The one time that I have had a terminal change, in a large number of flights, I think we lost about 20 passengers from the 777 in the process.
Yes not only this but also people just stop paying attention once they know their gate, so there's a good chance people won't notice that it's changed until the very last minute - you'd end up waiting for a few stragglers that arrived at the original gate with a few minutes to spare but now need to find the new one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.