Wiki Posts
Search

BA35 [LHR - MAA, 19 Jul] diverted to IST

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
BA35 [LHR - MAA, 19 Jul] diverted to IST

Anyone know what is happening to this flight? Seems to have divertednto Istanbul. Hoping it carries on to Chennai soon to bring me home.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
ExpertFlyer suggests that it is due to a reported technical defect. It is marked as continuing on to Chennai this evening after 2 hrs 20 mins in IST but I fear the crew hours are running out. It isn't going to make up much time now, so I think the return leg will be delayed at least.
dobba and george77300 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:39 pm

And because it is now 2 sectors, that also reduces the permitted crew duty hours.
dobba likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't understand, their would be fresh crew in Chennai for the return?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by seaskybound
I don't understand, their would be fresh crew in Chennai for the return?
They wont be much use for the aircraft in IST.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Well the plane made it to Chennai some five and half hours late. Must have been a very close call on crew hours as it sat in Istanbul for two hours forty minutes.
watersign likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by martin102
Well the plane made it to Chennai some five and half hours late. Must have been a very close call on crew hours as it sat in Istanbul for two hours forty minutes.
forgive me, where does the other ~3 hours delay come from? Late departure initially or some kind of slower than average speed flight due to the MX issue?

Not picking just trying to get my head around it
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by nancypants

forgive me, where does the other ~3 hours delay come from? Late departure initially or some kind of slower than average speed flight due to the MX issue?

Not picking just trying to get my head around it
Some of that delay will be the time taken to divert to IST. A flight LHR-MAA is a lot less flying time than LHR-IST-MAA. There must also be time lost elsewhere, possibly late leaving LHR.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by rapidex
Some of that delay will be the time taken to divert to IST. A flight LHR-MAA is a lot less flying time than LHR-IST-MAA. There must also be time lost elsewhere, possibly late leaving LHR.
just looked, 1 hour and 6 minutes late taking off which won’t have helped
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
The FR24 track shows that the aircraft was already approaching being overhead IST before it started descending from cruising altitude, so additional time was taken in doubling back to the airport.
nancypants and dobba like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.