Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to get to hawaii with BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: BA GfL, Hilton Gold
On 23rd July I'm doing the following, booked back in Feb for £1600 per person in J:

ARN-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-KOA then KOA-LAX-JFK-HEL-ARN for 1000TP (couldn't get it to force a connection through LHR on the return). Booked directly with AA over the phone.

Overnight stop in New York on the way out, but will be on two overnight flights (KOA-LAX & JFK-HEL) on the return
TravelManBiz likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelManBiz

Did you check if you could add HEL also here for 160 more TP? I am looking at a HNL TP run myself from OSL but need to add HEL for more TP. I also try my best to use BA marketed flights for more Avios (I am BA Gold)

I guess I will see if I find OSL-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL. That would be 40+80+140+140+40 * 2 so 880 TP? Or is LAX-HNL 140 TP? Then it is 1080TP return trip
Yes - you *can* add HEL; on our days and routes it added £££ and made for some poor journeys but if you can get it to work out, it is indeed 1080TP and LAX-HNL (or any Hawaiian island is 140TP).
There was a whole thread about a year ago on maximising the route.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Nephoi
Im planning an Hawaii trip too. But in y. I got Arn-hel-Lhr-Dfw-hnl so far.
Which Island is the best for a first time visitor anyway? Any recommendations?
I'd say Kauai for the variety of things to do and the different landscape across the island, but ask enough people and you'll probably get each possible answer come up plenty of times. The Big Island would be my second choice.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
I often use the aacargo website to decide on routes to take if I am looking for widebody/lie-flat options.
https://www.aacargo.com/ship/schedules.html

You could do UK->DFW->HNL/OGG;
If you wanted an extra flight you could do UK->ORD->DFW->HNL/OGG provided you pick the right ORD->DFW flight.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Not sure about TP.

But based on my rough research, if you want lie flat all the way, you will have to do LHR-DFW-HNL, which DFW-HNL is operated by AA's 772. There are not too many HNL flights having lie flat that works with BAEC.
There is the option of the A330 into Phoenix which is Lie-Flat

ML
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by where2travel
I'd say Kauai for the variety of things to do and the different landscape across the island, but ask enough people and you'll probably get each possible answer come up plenty of times. The Big Island would be my second choice.
yep
now its:
Hawaii: 1
Kauai: 1
Maui: 1
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by Nephoi
yep
now its:
Hawaii: 1
Kauai: 1
Maui: 1

im going in Dec and was out off by the amount of rain in Kauai
So doing Maui, Big Island and Honolulu
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
I did this trip back in 2016 as a TP run, and my route was DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL and back, with breaks in NYC on the outbound and LAX/NYC on the inbound. I managed to fly transatlantic on AA metal, which I much prefer to BA, and somehow managed to score First instead of business on the JFK-LAX leg. Flat bed all the way, except for the LAX-HNL-LAX segments, where AA use some pretty shabby A320s/321s with standard recliner seats. You have to go United or Delta to get flat beds on the Hawaii route.

I spent about 9 days doing this, visiting friends along the way. The whole thing cost me around £1800 (a price I've not come close to matching since) and it scored me a sackload of TPs, enough to renew my Silver card from scratch. It was fun too.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Hi W213Sal. You ask an interesting question. I commute between LHR and HNL 12 times a year for work so I can give you some OneWorld suggestions. All the following suggestions are for one connection only, however, and I suppose you may be looking for more variety

The most comfortable route, with the best service, is via Tokyo, if you are not rushed. Lie-flat connecting to lie-flat, BA/JL to JL. This involves an overnight in one direction and is not as easy to book because (at least in the past) there were no published LHR-HNL fares with a NRT connection. So this is the most expensive option. But it's also the most comfortable way to get to HNL on OneWorld.

The second most comfortable route is via DFW, again with an overnight. Lie-flat connecting to lie-flat, BA/AA to AA. There is an excellent hotel (as airport hotels go) in the airport terminal at DFW.

The third most comfortable route is via ORD (when AA is operating their ORD-HNL flight). Also requires an overnight on the way to HNL. Lie-flat connecting to lie-flat, BA/AA to AA. There is also a hotel in the airport terminal but it's not as nice as the hotel at DFW. Again, this route only works when AA is operating their ORD-HNL flight.

The faster route is via LAX, as AA sometimes schedules widebody aircraft with lie-flat seats on the LAX-HNL route. But in my experience the same-day connections from LHR end with a narrowbody on the LAX-HNL segment at the end of the day. So I only take this route if I have to get there same day and don't mind the recliner seat for the final segment.

On the way back, the suggestions are the same as above. However, I really like the HNL-ORD-LHR route on the way home, as you arrive in London at night and can go straight to bed, then wake up in the morning as normal. It's brilliant. The schedule is an afternoon departure from HNL, overnight flight to ORD, early morning arrival, time for a shower and breakfast in the lounge, morning departure from ORD, evening arrival at LHR, and then home to bed. Lie-flat to lie-flat. But AA doesn't always operate the HNL-ORD flight.

Again, my suggestions are limited to single connection routes on OneWorld. Others will have more expertise about different types of routes (for example, I like HA's longhaul flights, but that opens up a totally different set of non-OneWorld options). Hope that helps.

PS: If there are any other decent lie-flat routes on OneWorld with a single connection, please let me know!
W213Sal likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Hi W213Sal. You ask an interesting question. I commute between LHR and HNL 12 times a year for work so I can give you some OneWorld suggestions. All the following suggestions are for one connection only, however, and I suppose you may be looking for more variety

The most comfortable route, with the best service, is via Tokyo, if you are not rushed. Lie-flat connecting to lie-flat, BA/JL to JL. This involves an overnight in one direction and is not as easy to book because (at least in the past) there were no published LHR-HNL fares with a NRT connection. So this is the most expensive option. But it's also the most comfortable way to get to HNL on OneWorld.

The second most comfortable route is via DFW, again with an overnight. Lie-flat connecting to lie-flat, BA/AA to AA. There is an excellent hotel (as airport hotels go) in the airport terminal at DFW.

The third most comfortable route is via ORD (when AA is operating their ORD-HNL flight). Also requires an overnight on the way to HNL. Lie-flat connecting to lie-flat, BA/AA to AA. There is also a hotel in the airport terminal but it's not as nice as the hotel at DFW. Again, this route only works when AA is operating their ORD-HNL flight.

The faster route is via LAX, as AA sometimes schedules widebody aircraft with lie-flat seats on the LAX-HNL route. But in my experience the same-day connections from LHR end with a narrowbody on the LAX-HNL segment at the end of the day. So I only take this route if I have to get there same day and don't mind the recliner seat for the final segment.

On the way back, the suggestions are the same as above. However, I really like the HNL-ORD-LHR route on the way home, as you arrive in London at night and can go straight to bed, then wake up in the morning as normal. It's brilliant. The schedule is an afternoon departure from HNL, overnight flight to ORD, early morning arrival, time for a shower and breakfast in the lounge, morning departure from ORD, evening arrival at LHR, and then home to bed. Lie-flat to lie-flat. But AA doesn't always operate the HNL-ORD flight.

Again, my suggestions are limited to single connection routes on OneWorld. Others will have more expertise about different types of routes (for example, I like HA's longhaul flights, but that opens up a totally different set of non-OneWorld options). Hope that helps.

PS: If there are any other decent lie-flat routes on OneWorld with a single connection, please let me know!
There is now DUB-DFW-HNL, possibly same day? I'll have to look into it! but I think DUB-DFW is seasonal!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by W213Sal
There is now DUB-DFW-HNL, possibly same day? I'll have to look into it! but I think DUB-DFW is seasonal!
That sounds like a great routing - before you leave DUB you will complete US immigration and customs formalities in DUB , so will have a nice easy connection as you would do if just connecting domestically

Backtracking to London and missing out on that facility seems a mad choice
ExpatExp, T8191 and W213Sal like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Backtracking to London and missing out on that facility seems a mad choice
But... you'd also miss out on 40 TPs!! You do realise this is *Flyer*Talk, not *GetThereQuickly*Talk, yeah...?
T8191, wrp96, TravelManBiz and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Deltus
But... you'd also miss out on 40 TPs!! You do realise this is *Flyer*Talk, not *GetThereQuickly*Talk, yeah...?
do you know where i can find *get there with a bunch of TP and its still affordable*Talk section?
Still waiting for a HNL or OGG deal...
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Deltus
There are a lot of people who are interested in maximising value, but not taking flights to get themselves further away from their destination - even more so in this case missing out on an easy domestic connection and having formailities completed before departure

Getting there quicky is my preference but costs also impact and can create detours - I do my best to not fly from A-B-A and then on to destination , but make sure that I am progressing to destination

40TP loss only matters if that would be the make or break on attaining/retaining status
T8191 and Nephoi like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I spend nearly 6 weeks a year in Hawaii, so here are my thoughts:

Kauai is beautiful, but in the winter you run the risk of torrential rain. Stick to the South side. The North can be very wet any time. Great for hiking, scenery. Beautiful, but small. Not a lot of nightlife or shopping. Oahu is over touristy.. Decent hiking, nice, but not the most scenic of the islands. Lots of night life and shopping. Big Island is scenic but in a stark way. Lots of lava with no vegetation, and black sand beaches. Not a lot of nightlife or shopping. Great to see the volcano National Park, good hiking and lots of scenic variety. Maui is a great blend of tourist activities and scenery, but stick to West Maui, the Kihei area in the South is way over populated and touristy. Lots of whales breaching close to shore December thru March. Excellent scenery, decent shopping and some nightlife, but nothing like Honolulu.

If you have one week, hands down I would pick Maui for first timers. If you have more than one week, do some island hopping. I would spend at least 5 days on whatever island you pick. Book an Airbnb, or VRBO, much less expensive than a hotel. You can get a great place, beachside, wonderful views in the area north of Lahaina, for way less than what a hotel will charge you. You can BBQ and make friends with other holiday makers, cook a meal inside, or get a takeaway. Eating out anywhere in Hawaii is expensive.
T8191, seat 13a and W213Sal like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.