Wiki Posts
Search

Why are air vents closed?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Why are air vents closed?

When you get on the plane, the overhead air vents always seem to be closed. I asked the FA why that was and she didn’t know. She also commented she would be surprised if the cleaning crew did it since they have so little time on board. So why are they closed and who closed them all?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
A lot of passengers don't like blowing air on their head so will close them. I see that a lot of the time.

Also as they're all individual does it matter?
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It can only be the previous customer, we do not touch them.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Maybe I’m imagining things , but s first flight out on an Airbus 3XX always seems closed up tight.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I find a mixture, more usually closed than open though. Also other interesting things spotted on the vents

Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
don't think I've ever touched a vent, does it make so much difference to comfort?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by endoman
don't think I've ever touched a vent, does it make so much difference to comfort?
Definitely. Especially if you're sat on the side with the sun blaring on the side of the aircraft.
endoman and kingstontoon like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, at least it does for me. I deliberately avoid seats with no air vents, and even those where the airvent is set back so far that the impact is too weak. Unfortunately on longhaul we miss out here, so for example 787s don't have them on BA but they are present on some other airlines' 787s.

Some passengers hate them though. I well recall (not on BA) an incident when an older Italian woman decided to turn off my vent without asking, because it was destroying (her words) her hair style. When I asked her why she didn't ask first, she said that no English people speak Italian!
squawk, george77300, SK and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I tend to turn them on when on the ground as it is hot and then off post takeoff when the ac packs are turned back on.

I see others doing the same.

I mostly fly short haul. Large long haul planes may have an ac cart to cool the plane which would render the extra ventilation unneccessary. .
callum86 and etiene like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Yes. I hate planes that don't have them. Even if I close it later, I find if for whatever reason I might be feeling unwell having the blast of air on my face/head, helps me feel better. Definitely needed if I get stuck in a middle seat!!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
It’s definitely not crew or cleaners turning them off! The temperature in the cabin tends to drop during descent so many people will turn them off.

Frustratingly on the Embraer the main source of fresh air into the toilets seems to be from the gasper vent and it gets smelly quite quickly if someone turns it off (usually the perpetrator is the same person as the one who made it smell bad in the first place!)
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
I always turn mine off, can't stand wind blowing on me.
Get enough of that on the east coast of Scotland lol
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
As above, I know I will often use them on the ground while the aircraft temperature usually climbs but then turn them off during the flight as the climate control cools things down in general. Don't recall being stuck on the plane at destination for long enough/in such conditions as to need to turn it back on - so it will generally end the flight closed.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by anniegray
I always turn mine off, can't stand wind blowing on me.
Get enough of that on the east coast of Scotland lol
Same here, I really dislike a draught on me so I turn them off immediately. I don't particularly like being too hot either but to me that's the lesser of two evils if the alternative is a cold air jet. It has to be incredibly hot before I'll turn them back on.

I do this in the car too - air conditioning is all very nice to cool down the cabin but absolutely cannot involve any cold air coming directly at me so all vents on my side have to be closed or angled sharply away.
anniegray and tilal6991 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m a air vents on man as well as air conditioning on full in the car and in hotel rooms, I hate being hot and would rather be cold.
EGW1, george77300, abligh and 15 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.