FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Why are air vents closed? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1978135-why-air-vents-closed.html)

buddman Jul 15, 2019 2:52 am

Why are air vents closed?

When you get on the plane, the overhead air vents always seem to be closed. I asked the FA why that was and she didn’t know. She also commented she would be surprised if the cleaning crew did it since they have so little time on board. So why are they closed and who closed them all?

nick.t.davies Jul 15, 2019 2:57 am

A lot of passengers don't like blowing air on their head so will close them. I see that a lot of the time.

Also as they're all individual does it matter?

Can I help you Jul 15, 2019 3:02 am

It can only be the previous customer, we do not touch them.

buddman Jul 15, 2019 3:14 am

Maybe I’m imagining things , but s first flight out on an Airbus 3XX always seems closed up tight.

KARFA Jul 15, 2019 3:20 am

I find a mixture, more usually closed than open though. Also other interesting things spotted on the vents :)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/KnVw1o.jpg

endoman Jul 15, 2019 3:24 am

don't think I've ever touched a vent, does it make so much difference to comfort?

Schwann Jul 15, 2019 3:31 am

Originally Posted by endoman (Post 31304615)
don't think I've ever touched a vent, does it make so much difference to comfort?

Definitely. Especially if you're sat on the side with the sun blaring on the side of the aircraft.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 15, 2019 3:32 am

Yes, at least it does for me. I deliberately avoid seats with no air vents, and even those where the airvent is set back so far that the impact is too weak. Unfortunately on longhaul we miss out here, so for example 787s don't have them on BA but they are present on some other airlines' 787s.

Some passengers hate them though. I well recall (not on BA) an incident when an older Italian woman decided to turn off my vent without asking, because it was destroying (her words) her hair style. When I asked her why she didn't ask first, she said that no English people speak Italian!

jeremyBA Jul 15, 2019 3:44 am

I tend to turn them on when on the ground as it is hot and then off post takeoff when the ac packs are turned back on.

I see others doing the same.

I mostly fly short haul. Large long haul planes may have an ac cart to cool the plane which would render the extra ventilation unneccessary. .

dddc Jul 15, 2019 3:46 am

Yes. I hate planes that don't have them. Even if I close it later, I find if for whatever reason I might be feeling unwell having the blast of air on my face/head, helps me feel better. Definitely needed if I get stuck in a middle seat!!

EJetter Jul 15, 2019 4:14 am

It’s definitely not crew or cleaners turning them off! The temperature in the cabin tends to drop during descent so many people will turn them off.

Frustratingly on the Embraer the main source of fresh air into the toilets seems to be from the gasper vent and it gets smelly quite quickly if someone turns it off (usually the perpetrator is the same person as the one who made it smell bad in the first place!)

anniegray Jul 15, 2019 5:02 am

I always turn mine off, can't stand wind blowing on me.
Get enough of that on the east coast of Scotland lol

etiene Jul 15, 2019 5:33 am

As above, I know I will often use them on the ground while the aircraft temperature usually climbs but then turn them off during the flight as the climate control cools things down in general. Don't recall being stuck on the plane at destination for long enough/in such conditions as to need to turn it back on - so it will generally end the flight closed.

gingerlucy Jul 15, 2019 6:07 am

Originally Posted by anniegray (Post 31304769)
I always turn mine off, can't stand wind blowing on me.
Get enough of that on the east coast of Scotland lol

Same here, I really dislike a draught on me so I turn them off immediately. I don't particularly like being too hot either but to me that's the lesser of two evils if the alternative is a cold air jet. It has to be incredibly hot before I'll turn them back on.

I do this in the car too - air conditioning is all very nice to cool down the cabin but absolutely cannot involve any cold air coming directly at me so all vents on my side have to be closed or angled sharply away.

Can I help you Jul 15, 2019 6:29 am

I’m a air vents on man as well as air conditioning on full in the car and in hotel rooms, I hate being hot and would rather be cold.