Search

Flight delay BA0268 LAX to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ys-flight-los/

Reports coming out in the UK press seem to indicate the reason for the delayed departure

Currently showing an ETA 23:57hrs

Oh my word, I'm in complete shock (not really). I once had a woman in my seat at EWR who had a boarding pass for a different flight...
watersign and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for posting, this btw. I appreciate it!
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by unspoilt_princess
Thank you for posting, this btw. I appreciate it!
Your welcome. I Wish you all the best T
unspoilt_princess likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
in this case a solo 12 year old boy managed to board with no BP / documents then refused to leave the plane. Police then removed him but all passengers and the plane had to undergo additional security searches thus causing the delay.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 15, 2019 at 1:14 pm Reason: to comply with rule 22
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I expect this will now be EC261 exempt
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Quick update: arrived at terminal and was asked at Club World desk if I knew of the delay. There was a printed letter offering BA's 'sincerest apologies' and it stated that they 'took steps' to advise customers via SMS text (I never received a text even though I switched my service on -- incurring roaming charges and all -- to keep up to date with the flight). I asked if they were giving vouchers since the delay was so long and the gate agent said yes, but I had to ask twice to actually get the $19.00 voucher. This was better than nothing so I'm not complaining.

I enquired about upgrading to CW and was advised it would be £ 1,029. We both chuckled and she was like, save your money.

Thanks to those who provided support, info and just well wishes. I popped some painkillers and am hoping to get to London with a minimum of pain by 20:00.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I expect this will now be EC261 exempt
can’t see why

ba allowed him past the boarding gate onto the plane without a boarding pass.

He seemed to legitimately be in the terminal as a transit passenger so the fault lies with the ba gate agent and was wholly within ba control
simon stingray likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jeremyBA

can’t see why

He seemed to legitimately be in the terminal as a transit passenger so the fault lies with the ba gate agent and was wholly within ba control
Ooooo. Good point.

I anticipate lots of litigation on this one, with customers demanding compensation and BA claiming it was an act of god.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by jeremyBA

can’t see why

That's a good point, BA should pay and they should go after Kevin's parents for the money for leaving the juvenile delinquent unsupervised....
The projection is for 3:43 hours late arrival, so this is gonna be close....
wrp96 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
As BA don’t do the UM service anymore, what the heck was he doing in T5 anyway?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
HAL control entry via Flight Connections, and have already apologised for this mishap. This looks extraordinary to me.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
HAL control entry via Flight Connections, and have already apologised for this mishap. This looks extraordinary to me.
That shouldn't really matter. If he was just in the departures area, the LAX flight would not have been delayed. The fact that he got past the BA BP checks at the gate seems to be a BA issue. However, it must be difficult for the gate staff when a big family with a few kids (some of whom are kicking off) are trying to board. They generally just take the passports and BP from the parents, and just assume all the kids are there (maybe with a quick glance). So, it must be easy for one extra to slip through the net.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I was in palma several years ago. My son aged about 5 at the time disappeared behind a post. He did not re-appear. After a minute or so I heading off to investigate. No where.

A lady said I think he went that way pointing down the air bridge. Unchallenged I ran down it to find my son standing patiently at the door to the plane.

How he got pst was one thing but the fact no one stopped me was odd. I probably did look rather determined !
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by unspoilt_princess

I actually have a chronic condition so thank you for judging my comments as ‘ridiculous.’ Just remembered why I don’t post on forums. Oh well. 😅
Originally Posted by cauchy
And having a go at the OP is uncalled for. You don't know them, why this might be difficult for them, or appreciate that some people might not simply have the option of pulling out a corporate credit card to make the problem go away.

BA could actually try to help their passengers, but they just don't care. Give the OP a break.
I play the ball I can see. I am sorry for your condition but in isolation your comment remains ridiculous IMHO.

On a wider point, if someone genuinely cannot emotionally/physically/financially cope with a delay of a number of hours in a modern airport terminal then perhaps international air travel isn’t for them. If, on the other hand, it’s just an inconvenient pain in the a**e then you have my sympathies.

Before others inevitably pile in, I am not ‘having a go’ at the OP, just airing my views. FT is most helpful when we have a range of opinions rather than just parrot back platitudes. I know I have personally benefited most from reading different viewpoints to mine.
watersign and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If HAL pays BA compensation for this (which is not confirmed), then a tad unfair that BA takes all the comp and nothing to the passengers....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.