Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steak in First

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by nancypants

Or how about lasagne. A work colleague of mine always insists on having the steak when heading to the US.... the land of steak.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by PAL62V
It has to be a rib eye. About 400g and sourced from an independent butcher that sells properly reared animals.
Couldn’t agree more, doesn’t matter which supermarket you head to in the UK, the cuts available range from crap to average. There isn’t much of a pricing difference between Tesco/M&S/Waitrose and a decent independent butcher. It boggles my mind.

As for BA, the steaks are a waste of good meat.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I gave up ordering steak years ago. Despite their less than gourmet image, casserole dishes tend to survive and sometimes improve when they’re reheated. Curry, coq au vin or cassoulet beats a plane steak even on a bad day.
T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: QF WP
Bring on the generic food flavour space cubes
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
just dont expect a decent meal on the plane, and you wont be disappointed.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
The only reason BA can't manage a properly cooked steak in F is because it's not important to them. Other airlines do just fine in this regard. Below is a steak from a recent flight in CX F on BOS-HKG. Cooked medium, as I requested.

That said, I really would prefer a sirloin instead of a filet.

Steak

Cooked Medium
NoY, T8191, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by david55
Have the fish......
Invariably this is what I end up doing. I can tolerate dry fish more than an overcooked steak. I gave up on the steak or even meat option on BA about five years ago. Sad but true.

H
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Originally Posted by bisonrav

Expecting good steak consistency on BA is an exercise in futility.
fixed that for you
IntVic and HighwayToHEL like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Hoch
Invariably this is what I end up doing. I can tolerate dry fish more than an overcooked steak. I gave up on the steak or even meat option on BA about five years ago. Sad but true.

H
for me the NHS put me off fish for life very early on. So while I can tolerate a badly cooked piece of meat, badly cooked fish nauseates me
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
The only good steak I had that I can remember was on BA who my utter surprise. It was ex-TYO (I think it was HND), and while it was well and truly overcooked for my liking (I like it blue), it was totally tender. All other steaks I have had on board have been very mediocre to poor (most airlines) to very poor (BA, and LX - more about LX in the following paragraph). Maybe there was one more good steak, but that's about it.

The worst steak award goes to LX. I was the only person that I saw in the cabin (J) who finished it, and that was because I set myself the challenge to do so, not because it was remotely tempting for me to eat it. No-one else seemed to have eaten more than a mouthful. This was on a short haul flight, and in order to cut the steak, I had to support the tray table by crossing my legs as it would have collapsed under pressure without doing so. It took me about 45 minutes to eat a small steak but I was bored senseless so I took it upon myself to 'achieve' finishing this incredible leather boot steak. Stupid, yes, very. Quiet amusement for myself, yes.

I pretty much gave up eating steaks on flights but I recently had it on BA (I wasn't very hungry so I'd have been happy to leave it if I didn't like it), and it was well and truly overcooked.

The best way to cook, serve and eat beef that needs to be reheated is braising it. That pretty much prevents hard, dry meat, no matter what you do to it. I think BA would be better off giving up serving steaks and stick to braised beef, of which I had many dishes on BA and enjoyed.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
The only good steak I had that I can remember was on BA who my utter surprise. It was ex-TYO (I think it was HND), and while it was well and truly overcooked for my liking (I like it blue), it was totally tender. All other steaks I have had on board have been very mediocre to poor (most airlines) to very poor (BA, and LX - more about LX in the following paragraph). Maybe there was one more good steak, but that's about it.

The worst steak award goes to LX. I was the only person that I saw in the cabin (J) who finished it, and that was because I set myself the challenge to do so, not because it was remotely tempting for me to eat it. No-one else seemed to have eaten more than a mouthful. This was on a short haul flight, and in order to cut the steak, I had to support the tray table by crossing my legs as it would have collapsed under pressure without doing so. It took me about 45 minutes to eat a small steak but I was bored senseless so I took it upon myself to 'achieve' finishing this incredible leather boot steak. Stupid, yes, very. Quiet amusement for myself, yes.

I pretty much gave up eating steaks on flights but I recently had it on BA (I wasn't very hungry so I'd have been happy to leave it if I didn't like it), and it was well and truly overcooked.

The best way to cook, serve and eat beef that needs to be reheated is braising it. That pretty much prevents hard, dry meat, no matter what you do to it. I think BA would be better off giving up serving steaks and stick to braised beef, of which I had many dishes on BA and enjoyed.
Funny you mention steak ex-TYO, I had this ex-NRT a few weeks ago and it was surprisingly good.

Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
And even then it depends on the cut of beef! A few years ago BA did serve some braised beef in F but they had used fillet so it was effectively the usual piece of shoe leather but with more gravy.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I'd rather have the korma from economy than the steak in First.
Why anyone orders it baffles me (unless they love very very well done meat or haven't had to suffer it before).
The only good beef dish BA does/did is the cheeks in WTP (and maybe Club?) which I've not seen for ages so probably doesn't exist any more.
​Get the pasta, get the fish, get anything else. They'll be average too, but it'll feel like a sort-of win.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL
The only good steak I had that I can remember was on BA who my utter surprise. It was ex-TYO (I think it was HND), and while it was well and truly overcooked for my liking (I like it blue), it was totally tender.
So the new F menu has Wagyu out of Japan. It's dreadful in terms of what that's supposed to be but, as you say, will most likely be the best steak you'll eat on a plane.
S_W_S likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Does anyone remember Wardair? I seem to recall in the late 1970s early 1980s that airline cooked steaks to the customer's requirement. However, I only flew them a couple of times.

Doc Copper

Last edited by DoctorCopper; Jul 14, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.