FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Steak in First (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1978008-steak-first.html)

Splotly Jul 14, 2019 4:42 am

Steak in First

How can we as a group help BA with this...

I’ve flown First about a dozen times over the last year on various different routes (before and after the change in soft product) and I continue to have mixed experiences with the steak onboard, where the vast majority of those are at the extreme end of poor - I.e. a borderline uncuttable piece of leather.

There’s a thread on here somewhere where someone has taken the time - alongside what sounds like a super crew to experiment with different oven/warmer settings - and come up with some pretty compelling results (including pictures) showing the steak can be cooked to different degrees. And none of them look like complicated instructions to follow.

It feels to me that doing so would be consistent with the new soft product and consistent with the individual and quality treatment which is an expectation of First (for me anyway).

I feel sure BA would want to provide us with the advertised level of quality and experience but simply don’t know how. I’ve asked the crews on my last few flights if they can do anything to help cook the steak differently and it’s clear from their reactions that they simply have a standard set of instructions and haven’t been advised/trained/talked to at all about what permissions they have to offer options.

Hence this post - any ideas how we might use this group to influence BA’s understanding that they can actually do something easy to change things....

Misco60 Jul 14, 2019 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Splotly (Post 31301638)
There’s a thread on here somewhere....

This one?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...s-plane-3.html

I feel sure BA would want to provide us with the advertised level of quality and experience but simply don’t know how.

I think you're being rather optimistic here. BA really don't give a damn.

bisonrav Jul 14, 2019 4:49 am

There's a thread somewhere on the form of words to use to BA crew, but it'll be hit and miss as to whether you can find someone who'll do it for you. I'm sure someone will be along with that soon.

My recipe for a perfect steak for a trip is to go to Waitrose (apologies, I'm middle class) pick up a 28 day aged sirloin around 3/4" thick with lots of marbling (flecks of fat) from the butcher counter, hot cast iron pan ideally with a tiny bit of lard so it's smoking, then three minutes a side and rest for five minutes. Then go to the airport.

Alternative approaches include landing and leaving the airport where in most destinations you'll find a plethora of restaurants who know how to cook a steak.

Expecting good steak on BA is an exercise in futility.

Splotly Jul 14, 2019 4:57 am

Yes that’s the link (in #2)... thanks.

Agree BA don’t seem bothered - but I’m just totally confused as to why - because that post seems to show how easily they could do it so transformationally differently.... and unless I’m missing something, at no extra cost.

I have, but chance only (ie not because I asked the crew to do anything different), had 2 or 3 steaks on BA that were excellent. I hear the cries that no steak can ever be that decent at 35,000 feet or on a plane because it can’t be cooked in the same way a restaurant has at its disposal. However, I don’t subscribe to that because I simply have had those few great steaks in the air.

We could individually write to BA with feedback and have it go into the usual ether. But seriously - I do wonder it they might respond differently if a group of a few hundred of us on here got together and dropped them a collective note that was actually useful to them?

nancypants Jul 14, 2019 4:58 am

This was my recent one which i’m disappointed to say a good vet could not have revived. Crew was otherwise excellent but it was a night flight and they were busy with a developing major issue in the cabin, also I had eaten well in the lounge and was not that hungry and didn’t fancy any of the options either. But still, disappointing
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d895653ec.jpeg

MFCC Jul 14, 2019 5:22 am

It’s a difficult one. If you choose to eat after the post takeoff rush, or on a quieter flight then you’d probably have more luck with the crew willing to have a play around with this for you.
The problem is, we have two ovens and one very busy galley operator. Your steak probably is going in the same oven as the chicken, the fish, the sides etc so the outcome is not going to be similar to that of a top restaurant on the ground.
When things have quietened down a bit, then crew may be able to have a play and follow the ‘steaks on a plane’ guide. The problem here though, is that our SOPs say that food has to reach a certain temperature all the way through, and this is tested before giving to the customer. If you like your steak particularly rare then it may not have enough time in the oven to reach this temperature. Crew may then not serve for reasons of food safety, though some may be more willing than others to bend these rules.

Theirin Jul 14, 2019 5:42 am

Originally Posted by MFCC (Post 31301711)
It’s a difficult one. If you choose to eat after the post takeoff rush, or on a quieter flight then you’d probably have more luck with the crew willing to have a play around with this for you.
The problem is, we have two ovens and one very busy galley operator. Your steak probably is going in the same oven as the chicken, the fish, the sides etc so the outcome is not going to be similar to that of a top restaurant on the ground.
When things have quietened down a bit, then crew may be able to have a play and follow the ‘steaks on a plane’ guide. The problem here though, is that our SOPs say that food has to reach a certain temperature all the way through, and this is tested before giving to the customer. If you like your steak particularly rare then it may not have enough time in the oven to reach this temperature. Crew may then not serve for reasons of food safety, though some may be more willing than others to bend these rules.

Respectfully, plenty of other airlines are able to accommodate these sorts of requests in First, NH and CX to give just two examples, notwithstanding BA's problems with not loading sufficient meals for First passengers. On ANA I've even had a steak that wasn't cooked properly sent back and they started over with a new one - which was done expertly the second time around.

rapidex Jul 14, 2019 6:08 am

How can we as a group help BA with this...

I’ve flown First about a dozen times over the last year on various different routes (before and after the change in soft product) and I continue to have mixed experiences with the steak onboard, where the vast majority of those are at the extreme end of poor - I.e. a borderline uncuttable piece of leather.

There’s a thread on here somewhere where someone has taken the time - alongside what sounds like a super crew to experiment with different oven/warmer settings - and come up with some pretty compelling results (including pictures) showing the steak can be cooked to different degrees. And none of them look like complicated instructions to follow.

It feels to me that doing so would be consistent with the new soft product and consistent with the individual and quality treatment which is an expectation of First (for me anyway).

I feel sure BA would want to provide us with the advertised level of quality and experience but simply don’t know how. I’ve asked the crews on my last few flights if they can do anything to help cook the steak differently and it’s clear from their reactions that they simply have a standard set of instructions and haven’t been advised/trained/talked to at all about what permissions they have to offer options.

Hence this post - any ideas how we might use this group to influence BA’s understanding that they can actually do something easy to change things....

Seems very simple to me. Crew follow BA heating guidelines and serve you a tough steak = nothing happens. Crew deviate from heating guidelines and you get sick for whatever reason = an investigation.

Why would any Crew member do anything different. Dont eat steak inflight.

PAL62V Jul 14, 2019 6:12 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav (Post 31301649)
There's a thread somewhere on the form of words to use to BA crew, but it'll be hit and miss as to whether you can find someone who'll do it for you. I'm sure someone will be along with that soon.

My recipe for a perfect steak for a trip is to go to Waitrose (apologies, I'm middle class) pick up a 28 day aged sirloin around 3/4" thick with lots of marbling (flecks of fat) from the butcher counter, hot cast iron pan ideally with a tiny bit of lard so it's smoking, then three minutes a side and rest for five minutes. Then go to the airport.

Alternative approaches include landing and leaving the airport where in most destinations you'll find a plethora of restaurants who know how to cook a steak.

Expecting good steak on BA is an exercise in futility.

It has to be a rib eye. About 400g and sourced from an independent butcher that sells properly reared animals.

Diver Boy Jul 14, 2019 6:27 am

My best steak on BA was when the cabin crew encouraged me to go for the steak with the words "I know how long to do it to make sure it isn't boot leather", that with the promise that they would reserve another meal in case I didn't like it.

Came out nicely medium rare, it was a point of pride for her that she could get them like that. I have also had a crew when I asked if they could take the steak out early "No, it has to stay in for the specified time".

I tend to weigh up the crew to see if they would be willing to reduce the reheating time or pick another meal. I'll also have my food later so not in conflict with other meal timings to increase chances.

T8191 Jul 14, 2019 6:35 am

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 31301797)

Why would any Crew member do anything different. Dont eat steak inflight.

Sadly, that last point sums it up. We have resigned ourselves to the endless ‘Chicken breast with sauce du jour’ with associated pretensions of various ethnicities ... that all taste much the same.

So sad, and as noted BA doesn’t seem to care. Do they ever get any indication of the number of half-eaten (or less) steaks in the galley waste bins?

Splotly Jul 14, 2019 6:37 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31301670)
This was my recent one which i’m disappointed to say a good vet could not have revived. Crew was otherwise excellent but it was a night flight and they were busy with a developing major issue in the cabin, also I had eaten well in the lounge and was not that hungry and didn’t fancy any of the options either. But still, disappointing
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d895653ec.jpeg

yep - that’s how mine frequently looks, and it’s no good enough and it’s not ok.

I get why others are saying eat before flying or eat afterwards, however BA doesn’t offer the option buy a seat in First without including food in the price - so I expect them to stand up their side of the bargain...

nancypants Jul 14, 2019 6:52 am

I know it causes great upset over in the AA forum but cuts like brisket and short rib, properly handled on the ground, seem to be much more resistant to the inflight cooking process. I had a lamb shank on QF to JNB and it was juicy and tender. Perhaps the error is trying to serve prime cuts of steak? I tend to avoid the chicken also as that has a habit of drying out. Which leaves what? Fish (can be tricky) or vegetarian (can be tricky...)

david55 Jul 14, 2019 6:55 am

Have the fish......

nancypants Jul 14, 2019 7:12 am

That’s how all the problems started in the first place!

Originally Posted by david55 (Post 31301880)
Have the fish......

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...25e3e284b.jpeg