FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1977926-lhr-strikes-hal-employees-23-24-aug-2019-called-off-now.html)

Greg66 Jul 13, 2019 7:53 am

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Unite announced yesterday six strike dates for workers at LHR, two later this month and four in August. I’m not especially clear as to which employees at LHR this would affect; it is being reported that they are customer service, engineering and security staff. LHR says it has contingency plans in place to keep things running.

Anyway, the point: I’m due to fly on one of the strike dates. Has anyone in the past flown on a strike day and experienced the efficacy (or otherwise) of the contingency plans. Idly wondering what I can expect...

Genius1 Jul 13, 2019 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Greg66 (Post 31299256)
I’m not especially clear as to which employees at LHR this would affect; it is being reported that they are customer service, engineering and security staff.

I think you just answered your own question ;) Also included are airside operational staff.

HAL staff have never striked before, so nobody has first hand experience of this.

orbitmic Jul 13, 2019 8:08 am

Would be nice to include the strike dates!

Greg66 Jul 13, 2019 8:13 am

Strike dates: 26 July, 27 July, 5 August, 6 August, 23 August and 24 August.

I can (obviously!) read the categories of striking workers, but I have no idea (for example) how many LHR customer service employees who might be striking do things that actually affect passengers. Are they sales staff in the shops? Or are they lounge staff? Or check in staff (who I thought we’re employed by the airlines)?

Anyway, sounds like it’s a first so a bit of a learning experience for everyone. What japes!

TimDP Jul 13, 2019 8:15 am

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ghlight=strike

Genius1 Jul 13, 2019 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Greg66 (Post 31299295)
I can (obviously!) read the categories of striking workers, but I have no idea (for example) how many LHR customer service employees who might be striking do things that actually affect passengers. Are they sales staff in the shops? Or are they lounge staff? Or check in staff (who I thought we’re employed by the airlines)?

The main population of HAL staff affected are security officers, and this would be the most notable interaction with HAL staff for the majority of passengers.

Most HAL customer service staff are behind the scenes (although trolley operatives are visible, for example), as are engineering (who maintain the infrastructure) and other operations staff (responsible for airfield safety, non-T5 stand allocation etc.).

Sales staff in shops are employed by the retailers, not HAL. Ground staff are employed by ground handlers or airlines, not HAL.

anniegray Jul 13, 2019 9:02 am

Oh dear, I also have flights on the 26th...

Greg66 Jul 13, 2019 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 31299316)
The main population of HAL staff affected are security officers, and this would be the most notable interaction with HAL staff for the majority of passengers.

Most HAL customer service staff are behind the scenes (although trolley operatives are visible, for example), as are engineering (who maintain the infrastructure) and other operations staff (responsible for airfield safety, non-T5 stand allocation etc.).

Sales staff in shops are employed by the retailers, not HAL. Ground staff are employed by ground handlers or airlines, not HAL.

Thanks. Sounds like this has the potential to be quite disruptive.

Balls.

ETA:

Originally Posted by TimDP (Post 31299301)

Oh, FFS!!!

mmxbreaks Jul 13, 2019 10:24 am

Different strike to the BA employees strike - which might actually happen at the same time in early August for some double mayhem.

Hoping my flight landing into LHR on the 6th August won't be affected. It'll need to depart LHR the bad before to position, so if that's affected then, well, who knows.

Brisbane Road Jul 13, 2019 11:56 am

I’m flying on the 26th too. As well as on a couple of the other days scheduled.

Predictable over reactions on this forum, people only read the headlines and panic.

Heathrow have said they have the contingency plans in place to deal with the strike and BA on Twitter have said they plan to operate a normal schedule. For now, chill out guys.

siw Jul 14, 2019 1:20 am

Typical, a friend is arriving into LHR T2 for her first visit to the UK on 23rd August.

I guess it's too early to know what issues will occur.

Tiger_lily Jul 14, 2019 1:27 am

So the first date is after many of the London schools break up for summer and the last one is the bank holiday weekend.

That’ll be fun

Grace B Jul 14, 2019 1:45 am

I have a paid BA ticket OTP-LHR for 6 Aug (when there may be a HAL and BA strike).

I have panicked and taken out some insurance in the form of a FR ticket OTP-STN for the same day (similar timings too) for £50. If the LHR option goes belly up I hope to be able to cancel for free.

nancypants Jul 14, 2019 1:58 am

I haven’t been back to the UK in 5 years and have been dodging strikes the entire way. Amusingly 26th July is my return date. I’ll be a transit passenger at LHR so hopefully will be OK but I have a nice long buffer of time ex BCN so perhaps will see if I can take an earlier flight to LHR, if IB do the business

NWIFlyer Jul 14, 2019 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Grace B (Post 31301376)
I have a paid BA ticket OTP-LHR for 6 Aug (when there may be a HAL and BA strike).

I have panicked and taken out some insurance in the form of a FR ticket OTP-STN for the same day (similar timings too) for £50. If the LHR option goes belly up I hope to be able to cancel for free.

I would be cautious about booking any FR back-up - there are also potential strikes at LGW & STN. At STN this could affect check-in staff, but clearly there is a possibility that if the STN-OTP flight doesn’t operate then nor will the return.

More details in the thread in the UK&I forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-...ug-2019-a.html

Grace B Jul 15, 2019 1:34 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer (Post 31301412)
At STN this could affect check-in staff, but clearly there is a possibility that if the STN-OTP flight doesn’t operate then nor will the return.

Yes, that could be the case, but from what I can see, the STN check-in dispute relates mainly to U2, and also, the aircraft flying OTP-STN typically does not arrive from STN (but from AMM perhaps - that's the nature of FR).

In any case, if the gods do not wish me to fly that day, I'll take the hint and spend a couple more days on the beach at Constanta...

flatlander Jul 15, 2019 9:17 am

Not only is there quite a summer of aviation discontent brewing, but we have no idea which disputes will be settled and which will continue and intensify. You might dodge one strike that's cancelled simply to be affected by additional action elsewhere.

I'm sitting on my current travel reservations until the situation matures (a phrase which can mean "is improved over time" or "goes rotten").

Deltus Jul 15, 2019 9:39 am

I have a *A ex-EU on 29th July, which is dependent on my BA LHR-GOT operating first thing in the morning. I have a 4 hour buffer in GOT, but the big unknown of these LHR strikes is making me nervous...

flatlander Jul 15, 2019 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Grace B (Post 31304413)
Yes, that could be the case, but from what I can see, the STN check-in dispute relates mainly to U2

Veering off-topic for BA, but the STN dispute is between Stobart Aviation and workers represented by the Unite union. Stobart do handling for Easyjet at Stansted while Ryanair are handled by OmniServ at Stansted. Omniserv are not, as far as I know, having any industrial disputes at the moment.

The Easyjet (U2) dispute is probably best followed at the thread I started in the Other European Airlines forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...rt-strike.html

lily23 Jul 15, 2019 10:04 am

Has anyone else been able to successfully reschedule their BA flights? I called the YouFirst line yesterday as I have a flight arriving into LHR on July 26 and departing Aug 6, but BA indicated they had no policy so far and wouldn't change my flights without being subject to change fee / fare difference.

Garimi Jul 15, 2019 11:25 am

I’m on 6 to MAD and back to test a350 or test strike situation;)

ahmetdouas Jul 15, 2019 11:35 am

Wow dodged a bullet there, flying one day before from LHR!

No idea how bad it will be or what contingencies are there, as without security staff BA can’t operate. Perhaps LHR is hoping some will come to work and work double shifts ?

BAEC Jul 15, 2019 2:05 pm

Seriously why are people overly panicking?

Take out Travel Insurance

Wait until there are knowns. At the moment these are all unknowns.

Do those posting here about their individual potential disruption think they are the only ones travelling on that flight on that day?

Can we try to keep this thread to actual facts and not about someone who is going to miss their connection to Zanzibar via Sudan on BA / OW.

Deltus Jul 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by BAEC (Post 31306627)
Can we try to keep this thread to actual facts

You must be new to this forum... :p (despite your name!)

golfmad Jul 15, 2019 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by BAEC (Post 31306627)
Seriously why are people overly panicking?

Take out Travel Insurance

Generally speaking I agree with you that there's no need to panic (I also have BA flights booked for the strike dates). However, there's not a lot of point taking out travel insurance at this stage. If you purchase insurance after a strike ballot has taken place it's unclear whether it will pay out in the event of a claim.

jason8612 Jul 15, 2019 11:07 pm

Hmm I just might miss the strike as I'm not due to fly BA on my OTP-PHX return til the 30th of Aug (which the only segment would be the last one LHR-OTP on BA). Let's see what happens....

BAEC Jul 15, 2019 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus (Post 31307161)
You must be new to this forum... :p (despite your name!)

I could be AC 😉 or WW 🤣

KARFA Jul 16, 2019 12:27 am

Originally Posted by lily23 (Post 31305655)
Has anyone else been able to successfully reschedule their BA flights? I called the YouFirst line yesterday as I have a flight arriving into LHR on July 26 and departing Aug 6, but BA indicated they had no policy so far and wouldn't change my flights without being subject to change fee / fare difference.

ba aren’t going to change anything for a strike that has not even been called yet (EDIT: i.e. the potential ba strike in August). If one is called then as with the MF strike ba will issue rebooking guidelines.

A P Yu Jul 16, 2019 12:40 am

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 31307604)
Generally speaking I agree with you that there's no need to panic (I also have BA flights booked for the strike dates). However, there's not a lot of point taking out travel insurance at this stage. If you purchase insurance after a strike ballot has taken place it's unclear whether it will pay out in the event of a claim.

There are no strike dates.

Tobias-UK Jul 16, 2019 12:43 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu (Post 31308142)
There are no strike dates.

Yes there are! If you have a look upthread you will see Heathrow Airport employees have announced strike dates and those strikes could impact BA (and every other airline’s) flights.

Greg66 Jul 24, 2019 3:57 am

In a (perhaps futile) to keep this topic separate from the possible BA pilots' strike, I thought I would give it a nudge.

First HAL strike due to hit in 38 hours (ish). Aside from the bland assurance of robust contingency plans to keep LHR open, has anyone heard or read any hard reliable data on how this (seemingly fantastic) objective is going to be achieved?

rapidex Jul 24, 2019 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Greg66 (Post 31336419)
In a (perhaps futile) to keep this topic separate from the possible BA pilots' strike, I thought I would give it a nudge.

First HAL strike due to hit in 38 hours (ish). Aside from the bland assurance of robust contingency plans to keep LHR open, has anyone heard or read any hard reliable data on how this (seemingly fantastic) objective is going to be achieved?

If the firefighters go out this objective will fall at the first hurdle.

DelTroon Jul 24, 2019 4:03 am

The press is now reporting that the Heathrow Fire staff will now join the proposed strikes, surely this will close the airport?

corporate-wage-slave Jul 24, 2019 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Greg66 (Post 31336419)

Good point. There has been an internal discussion about this within the Moderators and Ambassadors, so we will create a separate thread for the Friday / Saturday planned strike by HAL staff to give advice and tips to those travelling. At the moment a full schedule of BA flights is planned.

ajeleonard Jul 24, 2019 4:15 am

Originally Posted by DelTroon (Post 31336427)
The press is now reporting that the Heathrow Fire staff will now join the proposed strikes, surely this will close the airport?

Not for the first strike this weekend, they can only join the second strike onwards

KARFA Jul 24, 2019 4:25 am

Originally Posted by DelTroon (Post 31336427)

There is no fire service strike this Friday. They have given notice that they would join the strike action already announced for August 5-6 and August 23-24.

BKft Jul 24, 2019 4:49 am

Did LHR had any strike of this kind in the past? How was it deal with?

Mike Gold Jul 24, 2019 4:49 am

The BBC reporting that the strikes have been suspended for this Friday and Saturday!

rapidex Jul 24, 2019 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Mike Gold (Post 31336499)
The BBC reporting that the strikes have been suspended for this Friday and Saturday!

Sounds like progress at ACAS.
Time for BA to follow suit.

SteveWhite88 Jul 24, 2019 4:51 am

Yup, Unite have issued a statement saying the strikes for this weekend have been suspended.

https://unitetheunion.org/news-event...new-pay-offer/