Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Christmas Flights to Larnaca with Car from Avis ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:00 am
Original Poster

I have booked my flights and saw that by adding a car incurred no extra cost at checkout, for the 5 seater (group c) car it seemed like a no brainer to add the car and for the extra Avios points, I have my usual guy in Laranca I hire from but with this deal I thought I'd just get the car from Avis, BUT having looking as all the negative reviews I am thinking should I just not turn up to get the car, will I still be charged and if so how much? Or if I take the car is there anything you would recommend doing so I dont end up with any extra charges ? Do you HAVE to give a credit card ? All the reviews I can find on trip adviser are around 5 years old, so I am not sure if this is still an issue. I was wondering if there is anyone on here that has used Avis from Larnaca recently and could give me any suggestions or advise ? Thank you
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Nikki Spoiler
I have booked my flights and saw that by adding a car incurred no extra cost at checkout, for the 5 seater (group c) car it seemed like a no brainer to add the car and for the extra Avios points, I have my usual guy in Laranca I hire from but with this deal I thought I'd just get the car from Avis, BUT having looking as all the negative reviews I am thinking should I just not turn up to get the car, will I still be charged and if so how much? Or if I take the car is there anything you would recommend doing so I dont end up with any extra charges ? Do you HAVE to give a credit card ? All the reviews I can find on trip adviser are around 5 years old, so I am not sure if this is still an issue. I was wondering if there is anyone on here that has used Avis from Larnaca recently and could give me any suggestions or advise ? Thank you
I am not sure specifically about Avis in Larnaca, however, as far as I understand ALL the major car hire companies, around the world will insist on a credit card. This is usually in the name of the renter. I know from my work selling safaris, that anyone picking up a vehicle in South Africa/Namibia/Botswana etc has to have a credit card, in their name. Debit cards are seldom allowed, as the rental company will take a "hold" on the excess amount, which can only be done on a credit card - thus guaranteeing them payment if something happens to the car.
Nikki Spoiler likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:34 am

The current operator is not the same as the old reviews. You are safe to ignore them.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: BA EC Peasant, AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by JohnIreland
The current operator is not the same as the old reviews. You are safe to ignore them.
I was going to post similar. I go to LCA about once a year and the franchisees have changed every time- I would only look at recent reviews. I have some confidence that when I've (rarely) had problems with a booking through BA in the past, they've sorted it out.

OP, you will need a credit card though for any car hire...
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:41 am

I would think that if a major operator like Avis has no bad reviews for the last five years then there's not likely to be a problem.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, FB Gold, TK Gold
I'm not sure if it's possible to find rental car agencies without a slew of bad reviews. Most of them tend to be left by people who are unfamiliar with the process particularly in relation to insurance and credit cards. The following will ensure a smooth rental:

1: ALWAYS print out your booking so you have a clear record of what was booked or not. Ensure you book any extras at the time of booking even if you don't pay for them - then you have a record of what the cost is.
2: Read the T&C of the rental site when booking - this is particularly the case for opening hours since if you are delayed or early there may be nobody there (in Larnaca almost all are open 24hrs)
2: ALWAYS have your credit card - if you haven't got one don't even try and rent a car. The very small number of exceptions to the rule are not worth trying
3: Buy private cover for your excess online - this will cost about 40GBP for one year, and will likely be repaid within one rental of a few days given the prices charged by the operators (10-30GBP per day is the norm). You absolutely should NOT buy any supplemental cover and can refuse it when picking up the car. You will however have to pay for any damage found when returning the car and will then claim it from the third party insurer - I've done it, not too much hassle).
4: When you pick up the car take pictures of every side, and specifically of anything not clearly marked on the damage report. If you find something, get it noted before you leave. If it's dark, call them immediately the next morning

As for Larnaca - this is Cyprus - don't expect a flashy car. In dozens of rentals from most companies including Avis I've never had a problem. Just be prepared with the above points and you'll have no issues
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Thats fantastic thank you for that detailed advice, thats exactly what I was after ! who would you recommend for the "private cover for excess online" ?
Also will they try and add this without and asking and I do I need to make it clear that I have my own ? I have a revlout card and which is a visa debt I assume they won't accept this ? I dont want to give them a card with a high limit and find a £1000 charge when I get home.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

After speaking with others my OH has decided he definitely does not want the car from Avis, so should I just not collect the car ? it was booked as a package I am using the option to pay it off and its not quite paid off yet, So if I call and cancel the car what will happen to my booking ? I also wanted the bonus Avios so is the better option to leave all as it is and risk getting a £50 fine ?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Hi Nikki,

I agree with Bushwood. Take pics of everything and take your cc. If you have Platinum Amex, you’re insured already. We are regulars to PFO plus LCA at Xmas (crazy CE pricing this year!) and have used Avis many times at both airports without any problem. As it happens, we’re Europcar this year because there was a very small window of opportunity on one of the consolidator sites when they were just over £2 a day which would have been daft to turn down and we’ve never had any problems with them either. I’m not completely sure of the BA rules but if including the car as a package results in a saving and you don’t show, I can’t see any reason why it would be any different to a no show for the last leg of a multi-sector flight. I’m too much of a scaredy cat and have never tried either but is it really worth the risk? You might get a telling off as a first time offender but to be honest, you have a good value flight with the car you want and with a brand and you’re earning extra Avios from it too. Up to you of course and either way, have a super time there - Cyprus is just wonderful at Xmas and so nice to have some sunshine on Xmas Day. However, if you see someone having a heated debate at the Europcar returns counter on New Year’s Eve, please don’t say “I told you so” as you walk past smugly!

Last edited by PlaneSpeaking; Sep 26, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.