FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Christmas Flights to Larnaca with Car from Avis ?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:05 am
wijibintheair

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Nikki Spoiler
I have booked my flights and saw that by adding a car incurred no extra cost at checkout, for the 5 seater (group c) car it seemed like a no brainer to add the car and for the extra Avios points, I have my usual guy in Laranca I hire from but with this deal I thought I'd just get the car from Avis, BUT having looking as all the negative reviews I am thinking should I just not turn up to get the car, will I still be charged and if so how much? Or if I take the car is there anything you would recommend doing so I dont end up with any extra charges ? Do you HAVE to give a credit card ? All the reviews I can find on trip adviser are around 5 years old, so I am not sure if this is still an issue. I was wondering if there is anyone on here that has used Avis from Larnaca recently and could give me any suggestions or advise ? Thank you
I am not sure specifically about Avis in Larnaca, however, as far as I understand ALL the major car hire companies, around the world will insist on a credit card. This is usually in the name of the renter. I know from my work selling safaris, that anyone picking up a vehicle in South Africa/Namibia/Botswana etc has to have a credit card, in their name. Debit cards are seldom allowed, as the rental company will take a "hold" on the excess amount, which can only be done on a credit card - thus guaranteeing them payment if something happens to the car.