Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:01 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by ihatechoosingusernames
Thanks for that - I'm fairly sure I used some Avios in part payment of the seat bookings, but I can't work out where in my account I'd see that...

Will have another look shortly and fire off another email to BA.
Try searching your email inbox for "Avios points debited" (thats how it appears for a Reward Booking in the email breakdown for Payment Information) for the period 21/04/2018 - 28/07/18. I did this simple search and i had 9 Reward Bookings during the Reward Booking Breach Period. Only 1 Cash booking between 21/08/18 - 05/09/2018
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
@ihatechoosingusernames It would appear in the 'recent transactions' section of your BAEC account - mine goes back to April 2018. So start there.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:59 am

Cheers, just had a look and I can't see any Avios redemptions for seats, so I think I just paid for them outright. I have the statement here with the BA payments on it from mid July so I know I definitely made them.

Just hope BA will reply to my email this time and clarify whether my details were compromised in the breach or not.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ihatechoosingusernames
Cheers, just had a look and I can't see any Avios redemptions for seats, so I think I just paid for them outright. I have the statement here with the BA payments on it from mid July so I know I definitely made them.

Just hope BA will reply to my email this time and clarify whether my details were compromised in the breach or not.
The May to July period specifically mentions Reward bookings. So if it was a normal cash booking between this period then you would not have been breached and hence you would not have received the email IMHO.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:08 am

You are possibly correct.

However, if I may, the card that was compromised was only used on Google and Bing ad spends otherwise and remained in a safe, I don't think it's ever been used in a shop or elsewhere as it's a corporate card and I rarely use it, just charge my personal card then claim back. I had the card chugging along on the Google and Bing ads for a couple of years with no need to re-enter the details as they are saved to my accounts.

I only suspect it was caught up in the BA breach as other people on here posted in the days before and after the attempted use of my card, and the fraudsters attempted to use their cards in the same place. Therefore I suspect it's probably on a list of compromised BA details somewhere.

Whether I'll ever be able get BA to look into and possibly admit my details were compromised is another matter.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
The latest from Hayes Connor who are still open to people joining their class action, it sounds like BA re in denial:

Good Afternoon,

Further to our last update, we made an offer to BA's lawyers (DWF), on your behalf, on the 27th of June. They have so far ignored that offer letter, and not even had the courtesy to respond. Our offer expires on the 19th of July. So what happens now? It is likely that this case will now go to court. And DWF have applied to the High Court for a Group Litigation Order. A Group Litigation Order allows several claims to be managed collectively where issues are the same. So, where different solicitors are pursuing a claim against the same organisation (in this case BA) for the same violation, all claims would be managed or heard together. With a Group Litigation Order in place, the solicitors with the highest number of claims would usually become the 'lead solicitor'. Law firm SPG is seeking this role as they have the largest amount of claimants.

However, as we are continuing to add new clients to the Hayes Connor group action, we might decide to apply for lead status when the hearing comes up. We are the only UK solicitors dealing with this case that has previous experience in data breach court action for multiple claimants. We did this in Ticketmaster data breach case earlier this year. As such, our expertise in this area is greater than the other firms involved. This might make us more preferable to the court when it comes to choosing a lead solicitor. We have also been contacted by some people who have signed up to SPG, but who want to join our group instead. This is because they are unhappy about some changes to the terms of their agreement with SPG. With this in mind, if you know anyone with SPG who might want to use a different/more experienced solicitor, please tell them to contact us or complete our enquiry form on the website www.hayesconnor.co.uk . We are still taking on new clients, and it is easy to make the switch. Likewise, if you know anyone affected by the BA data breach, who has not yet joined a group action, please tell them to contact us ASAP. We will as ever keep you updated with events as they happen.

Kind Regards,Kingsley HayesSolicitor
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
hahaha ... Lawyers trying to steal clients from another Lawyer. Who would have though it?
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by T8191
hahaha ... Lawyers trying to steal clients from another Lawyer. Who would have though it?
Agreed. However in this case I am one of those did move across after being left in a state of bewilderment over just how incommunicative and poorly prepared SPG seemed to be. HC seem a lot better, not that I have had much experience in this sort of thing you understand!
lhrpete, Tiger_lily and T8191 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I shall ride the storm with SPG from pure idleness ... I had no fiscal loss, just stress and inconvenience. Que sera sera
BAEC likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
I shall ride the storm with SPG from pure idleness ... I had no fiscal loss, just stress and inconvenience. Que sera sera
Strange, I had fiscal gains due to financial loss
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
At least H.C are using a properly qualified and admitted solicitor to sign their emails.
Too many law firms get their admin folk to send their emails. Even if this person is not the actual author, their name is on it.
T8191 and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

It might be easier to switch over than take out "After the Event" insurance. HC may have cover, SPG doesn't

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 18, 2019 at 10:41 am
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:51 am
Suspended

Ditto.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Agreed. However in this case I am one of those did move across after being left in a state of bewilderment over just how incommunicative and poorly prepared SPG seemed to be. HC seem a lot better, not that I have had much experience in this sort of thing you understand!
I agree with you on this one. I guess we shall wait & see what happens next
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
It might be easier to switch over than take out "After the Event" insurance. HC may have cover, SPG doesn't
That was my concern. SPG are supremely foggy in that respect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.