Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Here is the press release made by the Information Commissioner's Office, the organisation which has proposed this fine:
Following an extensive investigation the ICO has issued a notice of its intention to fine British Airways £183.39M for infringements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

The proposed fine relates to a cyber incident notified to the ICO by British Airways in September 2018. This incident in part involved user traffic to the British Airways website being diverted to a fraudulent site. Through this false site, customer details were harvested by the attackers. Personal data of approximately 500,000 customers were compromised in this incident, which is believed to have begun in June 2018.

The ICO’s investigation has found that a variety of information was compromised by poor security arrangements at the company, including log in, payment card, and travel booking details as well name and address information.

Information Commissioner Elizabeth Denham said: “People’s personal data is just that – personal. When an organisation fails to protect it from loss, damage or theft it is more than an inconvenience. That’s why the law is clear – when you are entrusted with personal data you must look after it. Those that don’t will face scrutiny from my office to check they have taken appropriate steps to protect fundamental privacy rights.”

British Airways has cooperated with the ICO investigation and has made improvements to its security arrangements since these events came to light. The company will now have opportunity to make representations to the ICO as to the proposed findings and sanction.

ICO has been investigating this case as lead supervisory authority on behalf of other EU Member State data protection authorities. It has also liaised with other regulators. Under the GDPR ‘one stop shop’ provisions the data protection authorities in the EU whose residents have been affected will also have the chance to comment on the ICO’s findings.

The ICO will consider carefully the representations made by the company and the other concerned data protection authorities before it takes its final decision.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA’s defence this morning seems to be that “BA responded quickly to a criminal act” and “we have found no evidence of fraud/fraudulent activity on accounts linked to the theft”
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I don't think that there is any great mystery around the size of the fine. GDPR allows for a maximum of 20M EUR or up to 4% of turnover in the preceding financial year. For a company the size of BA, this is going to be a big number.
SK, wrp96, Dover2Golf and 2 others like this.

Originally Posted by Cw novice
Will be interesting to see if this has any effect on AC's position. My only hope would be that frontline staff aren't made to bear the brunt of management mistakes.
The thing is Alex isn't 100% culpable of this (and it pains me to say so). The only IT blunder he's directly responsible for is the outsourcing of the BA App team to NIIT, a tits-up of such cataclysmic propotions, at least internally, that anyone else would've been thrown into the Waterside lake.

Those who are really responsible for the data breach - as well as the IT outage and the myriad of smaller issues snags and problems BA has faced in the last 3 years - are those who decided to go ahead with the IAG GBS plan: Willie Walsh, CEO. Enrique Dupuy, CFO. Bill Francis, CIO. One of the mysteries I've never quite come to understand is how on Earth did Bill retain his job after the massive catalogue of failures he's racked since the inception of IAG GBS.
wrp96, alpenlupe and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
AC comments: “We have found no evidence of fraud/fraudulent activity on accounts linked to the theft”

That is of course a correct statement given he has no access to any bank account or credit card data. The only accounts he has access to are BAEC which were found not to be compromised.

So, factual: yes, disingenuous: yes, borderline dishonest: yes.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by JimEddie
BA’s defence this morning seems to be that “BA responded quickly to a criminal act” and “we have found no evidence of fraud/fraudulent activity on accounts linked to the theft”
That's plainly BS, and the line they've been peddling ever since this occurred. Maybe they should just apologise, pay the fine and move on?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:20 am
Suspended

IAG shares are down.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's plainly BS, and the line they've been peddling ever since this occurred. Maybe they should just apologise, pay the fine and move on?
Agreed, because how would BA know whether there has been any fraud as a result of the interception of credit card, address and other personal data?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by muscat

With 45 million passengers per year, it’s only an extra £4 on every ticket. I do wonder what the point of these massive fines are when it is easy for a major company to pass the (minor) cost on to a large number of consumers. Surely better to fine board members or executives.
If BA could easily add an extra £4 to every ticket, don’t you think they’d have done that already..?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

If BA could easily add an extra £4 to every ticket, don’t you think they’d have done that already..?
They’ll probably just put up the prices of ancillary items like seat selection and extra bags
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JimEddie

Agreed, because how would BA know whether there has been any fraud as a result of the interception of credit card, address and other personal data?
they won't get the individual details but they will be getting a summary from their acquiring (card transactions) bank and the card brands that are dealing with a pattern of fraud that points back to cardholder data that was known to the compromised.

Oh and BA would have been and may still be paying penalties on every card transaction for quite some while due to the loss of cardholder data, the banks have had BA goolies in a vice for quite some time over this as contracturally they would have been over a barrel under the breach of the PCI regulations.

£183m announced today is not the whole story.
JimEddie likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 13901
are those who decided to go ahead with the IAG GBS plan:.
So just to explain that one a bit more, IAG Global Business Services is now responsible for procurement, central finance and IT services to IAG's airlines. It's office are just to the north of central Kraków (currently, they may be moving elsewhere in the city) but with staff in London, Dublin and Madrid. You will sometimes see their staff whizzing around Europe on BA's aircraft, they seem to come equipped with ThinkPads brandishing the IAG logo. They have a Security Operations Centre, and that got additional resources in the immediate aftermath of the hack.

The "no evidence of fraud" point by Álex Cruz is difficult to square with the evidence. I have sent to High Value Customer management a detailed list of the various fraudsters, all over the world, who have benefited from my Amex and the Bank of Ireland cards. Those cards appear on a list available for sale on the Dark Web. I am one of their customers, and I was a victim of fraud.
1P, Jimmie76, DYKWIA and 26 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Well, CWS has just beaten me to my point.

He (Cruz) said no evidence had been found of any fraudulent activity on accounts linked to the theft.
Is BA really arguing that? I've been hit by fraudulent transactions on my impacted AMEX last month, the first time I've ever had it happen..

Surely this can be simply proven? I'm keen for BA to avoid the pointless denials and get on with making things right.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:37 am

With the fine now announced, the court case can move on. I am sure BA will now settle, and I bet it will be more than £183 million.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by plunet
they won't get the individual details but they will be getting a summary from their acquiring (card transactions) bank and the card brands that are dealing with a pattern of fraud that points back to cardholder data that was known to the compromised.

Oh and BA would have been and may still be paying penalties on every card transaction for quite some while due to the loss of cardholder data, the banks have had BA goolies in a vice for quite some time over this as contracturally they would have been over a barrel under the breach of the PCI regulations.

£183m announced today is not the whole story.
Whilst we’ll likely never find out, I’d be intrigued to hear more about what the PCI thinks of BA’s security, and more importantly whether the payment process used is now compliant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.