Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed Baggage Expenses

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
When my bag was delayed 24 hours recently, at home, I did buy some razor and bits as I needed. Spent about £30 expecting them to reject but they paid no problem. I don’t know how you could get to £4-500 without looking like you’re trying to game the system.
LTN Phobia and Oxnardjan like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
I must admit I never even try to reclaim from BA I just go straight to AXA and let them deal with BA. On two occasions now I've claimed when on the way home and luggage was delayed at the transit airport (YVR/LAS/LHR and EWR/LHR/DUB/LH where the luggage went missing in LAS and DUB respectively). Initially they did try and deny based on "flying home" but more reasonable heads prevailed. They did try the "we're not paying the US service charge for the meal" trick too but I escalated to a supervisor and they saw the folly of this in a US context. In a super bonus ball moment, AXA paid out for the lost luggage from DUB (after about three months) and after about four months the luggage showed up - it had fallen off the belt in the bowels of the system in DUB and been found during a tidy up.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I don’t know how you could get to £4-500 without looking like you’re trying to game the system.
This is indeed spot on.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I don’t know how you could get to £4-500 without looking like you’re trying to game the system.
I think if you have an "important business meeting" and require a suit for such an occasion, it's possible you might need to get spenny. Pretty edge case, but I guess valid in the context of flying in business, first, etc.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Whether at home or not has no concern to BA's liability under the Montreal Convention. It is liable for up to XDR1133 regardless of where the travel is

If this is something that you purchased due to the delay of the luggage, then BA is liable

Given that its liability is clear cut, I can't imagine that it would put many obstacles in the way
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If this is something that you purchased due to the delay of the luggage, then BA is liable
But if you have just come home, there's unlikely to be much you need to buy due to the baggage delay. You are more likely to need to buy stuff immediately if you have arrived at a place which is not home. If the test is based on need, then in practice the question of "home" or "away" does make a difference.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Globaliser
But if you have just come home, there's unlikely to be much you need to buy due to the baggage delay. You are more likely to need to buy stuff immediately if you have arrived at a place which is not home. If the test is based on need, then in practice the question of "home" or "away" does make a difference.
Im just as likely to have items in my check in luggage that I need when I get home as I am when I am on the outbound journey

I could easily be needing a suit on return for example

In practice I do not have multiple spare suits
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In practice I do not have multiple spare suits
If you wear suits for meetings/work that a bit odd isn't it?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by PxC
Flew LAS-LAX-LHR yesterday in F and my bag didn't make it. Apparently its on a flight back today instead. Would be it 'reasonable', given I have come back to my home address, to spend £4-500 on things such as ( 1x shoes/flip flops/t-shirt/jeans/toiletries etc) given I may have it back within 24hours (or may not) and claim this from BA?

Thanks
I've had delayed bags on a couple of long haul flights now and on a euro hop with the family. In all instances looking at a 24 hour delay.

I generally Direct Message BA on Twitter and explain the situation and that I need to purchase some clothing for whatever reason - suit in case and have meeting in the morning, coat in case and it's bloody freezing etc.

I give them an estimate of the spend, not going silly but ensuring I get everything I need. I've had a quick response time once they've done they're checks and they've always said it's fine.

With that in writing I go ahead and feel I have suitable weight behind me if BA reject a claim, but they never have and a few hundred quid is the norm. I wouldn't make such a claim if my bags were delayed on my journey home as I'd obviously be at home with other clothes available, a point I think BA would go with also.

Last edited by tuonopepper; Jul 5, 2019 at 12:12 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PxC
Would be it 'reasonable', given I have come back to my home address, to spend £4-500 on things such as ( 1x shoes/flip flops/t-shirt/jeans/toiletries etc) given I may have it back within 24hours (or may not) and claim this from BA?
My answer to that would be "Absolutely not".

For a start, coming home usually does not allow you to make a claim - including insurance.

Additionally, how do you need flip flops AND shoes in addition to the shoes you would have been wearing when you came home, in 24 hours? How about laundering the clothes you wore home?

Bluntly put, I really fail to understand how it can possibly remotely seem reasonable to anyone to spend £100 for those items when coming home and having facilities at home in the absence of an extenuating circumstance, let alone £400-500 which IMO is utterly absurd (unless obviously the bag is declared lost).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 5, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I recently had a claim of about £200 approved after my bag was delayed for four days (three people travelling). I submitted receipts for new clothes (from Zara) and sundries. The money was in my account by the end of the week.

The bag showed up but had been damaged somewhat. They also agreed a further £100 towards the purchase of a new suitcase.

Everything was paid promptly and without any fuss. I was very impressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.