Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

We're using auto-land today, please turn off all electronics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
My understanding is that different aircraft types had different kinds of interference. Hence in the older days everything was switched off. The newer aircraft types have less interference now.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Remember for 20 years when pilots and FAs acted like having a cell on at any time during the flight would down a plane? instantly?

Remember those years of nonsense BS? cell phones..laptops..gameboys...Insisting it was an utter danger....

and it turns out to have all been a lie.

So now, when the pilot makes the announcement, it isnt surprising in the least for most flyers to think "lying again"

Just saying.

(yes, yes...it just took that many years to do all the testing...harden the equipment...blah blah)
Back in "those years of nonsense" at the end of the last century, I recorded an ECG from a patient in the Emergency Department. On reviewing it, I asked him where his pacemaker was hidden, as I hadn't seen it when I examined him. (there were "pacing spikes" all over the tracing) He didn't have one- the spikes were caused by interference from a patient on his mobile 'phone in the adjacent cubicle
trooper, flygirl68, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Gastrocnemius; Jul 3, 2019 at 1:43 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:12 am

I have long assumed that MOST modern devices do NOT cause interference with aircraft systems.... but that SOME may. Rather then than try to announce which can, and which can NOT be used... ( Im sure that would lead to awful confusion) it really is more efficient to just say "Turn them all off"....
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by golfmad
Have faith, we are not all complete idiots
Remember for 20 years when pilots and FAs acted like having a cell on at any time during the flight would down a plane? instantly?

Remember those years of nonsense BS? cell phones..laptops..gameboys...Insisting it was an utter danger....

So now, when the pilot makes the announcement, it isnt surprising in the least for most flyers to think "lying again"

Just saying.

(yes, yes...it just took that many years to do all the testing...harden the equipment...blah blah)
Glad I said "not all" upthread.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:02 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I deal with stuff like this for a living, and it's absolutely the case that consumer devices from supposedly competent vendors that have supposedly been through regulatory compliance testing at an accredited independent test house can generate spurious emissions or unwanted interference at unintended frequencies. ILS is known to be sensitive to this, and since we can have no idea what devices we might be dealing with in a plane full of passengers, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Not everything is a deliberate conspiracy.
deeruck, flygirl68, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:28 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
The CAA thinks differently to them, and really, why is it important to have your devices on at that time, are we as a society so obsessed that we might miss out that we cannot turn off our devices for 10 minutes?
Remember, we are on the BA forum here. The chances of being on a BA aircraft with some sort of WiFi connectivity is still pretty slim, so we are pretty used to "missing out" for the duration of our flights
Waterhorse, wrp96 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold

Just saying.

There are two broad brush approaches to safety. A wait-and-see attitude where new technology is permitted, until it is deemed unsafe/has claimed too many lives (see also: the 737MAX), and a more proactive and cautious approach where proscriptions are placed on new tech until there is enough data, confidence and understanding of the possible risks and how to mitigate them.

When it comes to public regulators in general, and the plane I'm flying on in particular, I know which I prefer.

And, FWIW, I don't remember ever hearing that cellphones, hand-held devices etc were ever "an utter danger" even when those devices were restricted in usage in-flight. I believe the wording was more along the lines of "FAA/CAA regulations prohibit the use of..." or "It is [insert airline name]'s policy not to allow the use of..."
wrp96 and argonath like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
Even if everyone is compliant with the FA's orders, this must be so hard to control for the FAs with current technology.

I can just imagine the "Great, I've finally got this customer to turn off their laptop, Bluetooth headphones and mobile phone... oh s**t their smartwatch still has its WiFi and GPS turned on..." Multiply by a plane full of passengers. Also the fact that noise-cancelling headphones mean that some of these passengers won't have heard the announcement in the first place and have to be told all over again. Probably individually.

I just hope most passengers are sensible enough to know what they have to turn off and do it as instructed as soon as possible once they (eventually) get the message. And don't waste time arguing.

Last edited by andimilk; Jul 3, 2019 at 9:13 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: Qantas, BA gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by andimilk
this must be so hard to control for the FAs with current technology....Multiply by a plane full of passengers....I just hope most passengers are sensible enough to know what they have to turn off and do it as instructed as soon as possible once they (eventually) get the message.
+1

I've had recent experience of this, seated in row 1 in CE on the last 2 of my BA flights to Europe in June (1 from LHR and 1 from LCY). Each time the passenger next to me was busy talking on the phone or texting and messaging on WhatsApp prior to imminent take-off. Each time I politely asked the person to put their phone into Flightsafe mode. The first time, a Russian-speaking man, glared at me and asked why? The second time, an Englishman nodded and completed his message before saying "I forgot".

What perturbed me was that we were in row1 and the cabin crew could see and hear the men on their phones but did not intervene.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius

Back in "those years of nonsense" at the end of the last century, I recorded an ECG from a patient in the Emergency Department. On reviewing it, I asked him where his pacemaker was hidden, as I hadn't seen it when I examined him. (there were "pacing spikes" all over the tracing) He didn't have one- the spikes were caused by interference from a patient on his mobile 'phone in the adjacent cubicle
Going back almost as many years my father was in Coronary Care Unit following a heart attack when someone a couple of beds up flatlined except hadn’t, the staff said that someone must have a mobile phone on interfering with the equipment!
Whilst I am always in flight mode I also turn off my iPad if requested, whether strictly necessary or not I would prefer not to take the chance.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I for one dont want to go back to the early days when cell phones, laptops and video equipment was causing planes to crash with regularity! You guys remember all those crashes, right?

but in all seriousness...I turn off my stuff; I dont argue. But for many years there was a cottage industry of people synthesizing danger and scare mongering. Not just 'we dont know, we need to study it', but the hyping of unproven events and reports as proof there was a present danger.

In my professional life I work in IEC certification for medical devices, electrical safety as well as different kinds of interference (RF, etc).

And my comments still stand- in the publics' view, all that fear mongering is hard to overcome. (This being FT, I expect folks just cannot leave the red meat alone... )
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:55 am

PEDs off when landing in LVPs

I know this has come up before but……..

Yesterday a sudden 25 minute hold inbound to LHR due to activation of LVPs. As we leave the hold and get the 10 mins to landing from the Capt, the CC PA that followed mentioned, very casually, that all PEDs must be switched off due to the potential interference with the AUTOLAND system.

i very much doubt if many folk adhered to this instruction - 75% of row 1 didn’t ! I was a good boy and turned my phone off only then to realise that my iPad (stored above row 1) was still on but obviously I couldn’t get out of my seat to turn it off!

So, I ask the great and knowledgeable amongst us - if it is really safety critical like seat belts, exit rows clear etc, why is this not checked by CC? They could have spent the 25 mins of holding checking that everyone’s phone was off ( yeah, I know they could easily be turned back on once CC had passed by!)

Obviously we didn’t crash and, AFAIK, there hasn’t been an accident when landing in LVPs due to someone’s phone being left on. Just curious really.

Thx
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LVPs? What is this?
Misco60 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
LVPs? What is this?
Low visibility procedures.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Some other threads about this

Instrument Landing - turn all electronic items off

Note comments from Waterhorse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.