Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExpertFlyer versus gate agent

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Rigid company policies that insist on Y or PE tickets - even if more expensive than an upgraded cabin.
Yes! Why I can often get full flex CE cheaper than full flex economy. I can then tell the client I saved them money by booking the cheaper fare - as I am doing today.
Sam Bee likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Expert Flyer isn't God-like: it simply gives a version of the world it's programmed to report. Reality rules.

Though I have seen a guy argue with a hapless agent about seat allocation on the basis of EF's infallibility ...
I always assumed that the airport took over the flight inventory at check in, at least at the gate I wouldn't have expected Expert Flyer to be "live".

But as others have said, the airline may be prepared to see 4 x Y seats in an oversold cabin rather than hope to get a big J class booking.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Is anyone able to confirm whether seating information on EF is always correct or not? By "correct" I mean that it's the same as gate agents or ticket desk airport staff see.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
Is anyone able to confirm whether seating information on EF is always correct or not? By "correct" I mean that it's the same as gate agents or ticket desk airport staff see.
No absolutely not. Expert Flyer takes the information from a GDS (what the airline is prepared to sell), Airline staff have actual load figures, which we'll (we being general public) never know except when a member of staff actually tells us. Which rarely happens on FT.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would slightly nuance the previous answer. Generally EF is fairly close to what you see on the ground, and if you check EF 8 minutes before departure, it generally shows accurately the final seating plan, subject to any onboard factors such as just discovered seats out of service or people moving themselves to other seats. Along the way, the seat plan isn't far wrong, however you have to take account of things like staff standbys and irrops, and you also have to re-interpret the TS blocks versus seats blocked for people who haven't checked in and/or involuntary upgrades. At T-72 you get a view of where things are heading but you need to interpret it somewhat. Before T-72 then the seat map basically shows status, paid seating, flexible ticket, some group travellers and corporate travellers. And things like blocks for curtain roulette and shorter runways on LCY services.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Thank you all for the info.

It definitely gave me some insight!

No, I didn't get an OpUp but one guy did as they had 5 no-shows. He must have had a higher status than my AA-based OWE.

Still had a great flight in 12A in the PE bulkhead (PHX-LHR 747) and the cabin crew was A+, as well.

Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Is it worth paying for the expert flyer?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by dav662
Depending on how often you fly, it is a very useful tool. For me personally, it is worth every penny. In particular, fare information/searching, flight availability and award searches are the key tools that I use on a near daily basis. If I was only flying 4 sectors a month, then it may not be worth it, but 4+ sectors per week means it is a very valuable tool.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:55 am

Thank you Rossmacd. No I do not do 4 sectors per month and also don't usually do 4 sectors per month but again may do 8 per month on some occasions. So when I travel which is about once in 3 months then I do a lot of sectors.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I’ve seen some N9 flights that were overbooked and some Y0 W0 J0 F0 which left with empty seats.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:32 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by dav662
It's worth it for me just for the upgrade alerts for all of my AA LAX-HKG flights. That flight is almost 15 hours and I have yet to sit in coach as they always release upgrade inventory throughout the year!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:00 am

Yes I understand that 355F!. I travel YYZ to BKK on BR mostly and cannot do economy so do now the PE. But I do not do so many flights every month. But when I fly it is during that period that I do a lot of sectors in Asia. I do use the low cost ones there too but prefer to fly the full service ones if the fares are reasonable.
355F1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.