Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is British Airways really just London Airways?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is British Airways really just London Airways?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by seat 13a
BA have 39 daily London flights to/from Glasgow and Edinburgh between them.....Not pathetic. [and not complaining either....]
And 1 rotation per day to serve a northern county with a similar population.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
...Of course the fact that this route has been dropped does suggest it wasn’t hugely profitable.
AA is becoming an efficient B787 only for long haul airline, which means some routes may reappear as viability is re-assessed.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Of course the fact that this route has been dropped does suggest it wasn’t hugely profitable.
AA completely messed up the ORD flight after years of good (I guess profitable) service. Initially downsizing it to a B757 which meant it had to stop and re-fuel if the winds were against it. Then dropping rotations. And finally introducing the B787 that was unbelievably un-reliable. Of course, the high yield passengers had enough of being messed about and went elsewhere, leaving it flying half empty.

They're now doing the same with the PHL flight. Ending the A330 flights after years of service, and replacing with an ancient B767.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were no direct OW flights to the US from MAN this time next year.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.

Of course the fact that this route has been dropped does suggest it wasn’t hugely profitable.
I believe it was seasonal along with JFK. Think the expasion of the Virgin/Delta operation may have seen the off. I understand Singapore Airlines now do MAN - IAH which seems a bit strange....
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
AA completely messed up the ORD flight after years of good (I guess profitable) service. Initially downsizing it to a B757 which meant it had to stop and re-fuel if the winds were against it. Then dropping rotations. And finally introducing the B787 that was unbelievably un-reliable. Of course, the high yield passengers had enough of being messed about and went elsewhere, leaving it flying half empty.

They're now doing the same with the PHL flight. Ending the A330 flights after years of service, and replacing with an ancient B767.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were no direct OW flights to the US from MAN this time next year.
Yes, done the PHL many times on the ex US 330, worked well but can't face even a refurbed 767......you're prediction could sadly be correct.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Totally London airways and they even seem to be cutting back the number of shuttle services, making you pay the tier points the MAN/LHR sectors on rewards was another regional kick in the teeth.

MAN is my main airport too and the enforced Heathrow connection is a pain, mainly due it to it being at full capacity and unable to mitigate any delay factors. BA does have a couple of year round destinations with Sun Air and then there's the summer Cityfler stuff but other than that it's crap. That said if they did start doing other euro cities I'm not sure I'd fly with them, only benefit is the lounge access, tier points aren't enough to trump a scheduled based alternative and some of the other mainline co's still feed and water you en route (I don't generally fly club on euro short haul, don't find it value for money <3 hrs).

Even long haul now I tend to go from MAN with other OW carriers, AA to ORD (dropped off schedule now) was a 787 and PHL was an A330 (swapped to refurb'd 767 recently sadly) so gave good options direct into US, Finnair have some interesting connections and QR are running 787 and A350 down to Doha which makes heading south a pleasure.
Agree - Simply put BA et al..cant be arsed. I use CX east, Emirates on our flights to BNE on QF code share. AA are just rubbish going west. BA had a 767 usually G-BNWH great flight/crew. Then we had the BAC 1-11 followed by the ex LHR 737-200 again great crews.

BA would have packed services across the pond and into Europe because (and I hear you all) they are still very good at what they do. AC missing a biz op with the new modelling at MAN. A real shame...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.