Search

For goodness sake, stop queuing!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Holler bomb and they will run.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson Gold
I've given up caring about it as it happens every single time in BRU, usually at B04. To be fair, the flight is always packed and people are desperate to board so that they can store their cabin luggage.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:58 am

LGW “we are now boarding those in group one and those with small children or requiring assistance” those in front of me were largely groups 3/4 and had no small children or needed assistance. They weren’t turned back....
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
My own 2 cents is that the airlines, not just BA, have brought this on to themselves.
Insufficient space in the gate area. The pressure is on providing opportunities for retail sales, passengers hanging around gate areas aren't contributing anything, so give them as little room as possible, with no possibility of arranging an organized queuing system.
Pressure on space for cabin luggage. Passengers know that the first passengers to board get first choice on space in luggage bins (it suffices to bypass a check-in agent to avoid getting the silly yellow sticker (or else just pull it off). Hence the gate-lice phenomenon. Airlines have brought this on themselves by charging for checked bags, and generally being incapable of delivering the checked bags efficiently at the destination. I wouldn't even mind checking bags if I knew I would get them within 5-10 minutes of getting into the arrivals hall.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Savvysaz
LGW “we are now boarding those in group one and those with small children or requiring assistance” those in front of me were largely groups 3/4 and had no small children or needed assistance. They weren’t turned back....
I agree they're very laid back at Gatwick in my view. Pushing and shoving, pax often just barge their way through. Gate angels don't do much to stop them.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Savvysaz
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I agree they're very laid back at Gatwick in my view. Pushing and shoving, pax often just barge their way through. Gate angels don't do much to stop them.
Sadly true. The LGW problem is that the Ground Agents stay at their desks at the entrance to the gate area, and do NOT move to the door to the airbridge when boarding starts. There is thus NO CONTROL of the boarding process.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Good point T8191 ; though this problem is far from unique to LGW.

Even at stations where ground staff do reposition themselves, the overriding factor will always, always, remain that of effective enforcement.

The reality is that a very sizeable percentage of passengers have come to edit mentally any announcements of the type quoted above by Savvysaz (“we are now boarding those in group one and those with small children or requiring assistance”), such that the invitation includes the words “......and also anybody else who prefers to board right now rather than wait until their own group is actually called”.
Savvysaz likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by subject2load
Good point T8191 ; though this problem is far from unique to LGW.

Even at stations where ground staff do reposition themselves, the overriding factor will always, always, remain that of effective enforcement.

The reality is that a very sizeable percentage of passengers have come to edit mentally any announcements of the type quoted above by Savvysaz (“we are now boarding those in group one and those with small children or requiring assistance”), such that the invitation includes the words “......and also anybody else who prefers to board right now rather than wait until their own group is actually called”.
And also anyone who doesn't speak English. Even if the announcement is made in another tongue, by the nature of being an international airline, several of those present can understand neither the English or local language version.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
One has to ask.. has this been brought upon us passengers by most if not all airlines charging to check bags (elites in this case dont apply)
and for those like myself who never checks a bag, unless I am forced to by some over zealous agent at check in..
After all , everyone is going to the same place, and trying to get on board early can only mean we have space for our carry on.

Although my memory with age has well according to my wife, been missing for a while, I dont remember the mess in front of a gate for boarding prior to airlines charging for checked bags
You are correct in my experience. BA is a LCC who even with status of you turn up last to board have been known to say your bag needs to be checked in. They have brought this on themselves. At some outstations I now notice they even board groups 1 and 2 together. Hate it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.