Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For goodness sake, stop queuing!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
One cause of unnecessary queuing (definitely not the only one) is simply that people arrive at the gate in plenty of time (as they are encouraged to do with scary warnings about being denied boarding if late, and by automated systems that announce final call far too early) then find there is insufficient seating. So as they are standing they may as well stand in a position ready to board. And unless they are the first person to do so, they will probably stand behind someone else. And now they are queuing, even if they had no intention of doing so.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
IME, notwithstanding the moans on US airline fora, it still seems to me that the boarding process works somewhat better in US airports than European ones. Two things, it seems to me, make it different: usually, there is more gate space than in Europe. Secondly, the boarding process also tends to start earlier, which gives GAs a little more headroom to enforce boarding procedures.

Forgot to mention a third one, partly linked to what orbitmic said regarding outstations: US airlines tend to rely less on handling agents than European airlines and, therefore, GAs are usually more familiar with the boarding protocols of their own airline.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I will add two more factors: gate agents in the USA have a less customer friendly, more brutal approach to their task. Whether that is good or bad is open to discussion, but if a gate agent wants people to clear out of the way this will happen. Also whereas BA services regularly have a quarter or even a third of their passengers with Silver status or above, and another large chunk in Club Europe, you are unlikely to get that sort of proportion in the USA, when many upgrades get cleared at the end of the process.
I agree with all of those points, they are all excellently made! I would add one further which is that I think that culturally, as much as the UK venerates queues, the US venerates statuses/metals/whatever. The country has been massive on elite status of various kinds for decades and I think that in that sense almost everyone in the US would expect multiple queues/calling orders etc. Conversely, I suspect it is much easier to enforce, say, priority of people with small children or the elderly in the near/Middle East than in the UK or US.
NickB and T8191 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
But where is that self-awareness/openness going to come from? People behave they way they do for a reason (or rather as a result of a complex map of conscious and unconscious reasons and processes). If you want them to behave differently, you need to change something in their environment or their cognitive mapping of the environment which is going to make them change. And, in our context, that can only come from the way you design the boarding process, both in its hard elements (infrastructure, etc...) and its soft elements (the announcements that you make, etc...)
Just wishing people to be different to what they are is rarely a particularly successful strategy, IME.
I completely agree with you that the self awareness is a big ask. It's just that conversely, so is (in my view) the boarding processes. I mean to the extent that you are dealing with sub-contracting staff who work for 10 or 15 different airlines and don't really care, how likely are they to tightly implement any strategy a given airline would conceive? As for the infrastructure, it is again likely to vary a lot across airports (and to an extent countries). If BA were to, say, ask their station managers to be more pro-active I would be a bit more optimistic. Till then it is a bit of a catch 22 with both hopes fairly remote, but to be clear, I would certainly be very happy to see airlines trying a lot harder, the only part I was disagreeing with in one of my earlier posts in answer to another poster was that it's not the queuers' fault I just think a lot of people do hear the announcements and do see that their flight is not boarding for a while and do choose to stay in the way anyway.
NickB likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is actually queuing to queue, which is mad.

Brits love to queue, and have all sorts of weird and imaginary hierarchies in place to make it suitably complex for their emotional needs. easyJet and Ryanair start this process when the aircraft is 100 miles from the airport, and no-one seems to complain. Detaching oneself from this process is quite liberating. Just turn up when the red FINAL CALL thing goes up, you'll be on swiftly, and at stage they will just have to find somewhere for any baggage. I appreciate it's not a good way of working as far as the ground agents are concerned. Nice is excellent, like Newcastle, in that you can sit in the lounge and watch it all play out whilst sipping coffee.
You’re right that it’s madness, c-w-s, but unfortunately unless you’re in Club or better (or possibly WT+), boarding last is pretty much a guarantee not to find space for even a reasonably sized carry-on bag. So one is ultimately forced to participate in the madness, at least up to a point. Now if there were a way to stop the pre-queue queue from forming, that would solve the problem before it really gets going. But once a bit of a pre-queue builds up a critical mass, it’s very difficult to reign it in, and people get sucked into it!
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:55 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
The trouble is that the people who commission systems have ideas about solutions and constraints.
I think the rest of the posts here prove my point.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
3 minutes to boarding AA650 PHX-LAX which GA said is a full A320 flight and a total of 6 people queuing. Americans do seem to be better at this than the Brits.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Gate lice.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I was in MXP (Malpensa) last year. Interesting system that Lufthansa used. They would pre-split the groups in to two zones. So those with priority boarding were allowed into a small holding area next to the door to the jetbridge and then the other groups were left in another area. It was a simple right/left kind of scenario before boarding even began. Ensured anyone in the priority group got on first. Not sure it's the most efficient always, but seemed to work well. Of course, it did benefit from their being suitable space
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It is both the fear of losing the hand luggage to the hold and also people who fear that they will not have a place to put their own hand luggage though they are only carrying one piece. I think boarding EC starting from the back and be forceful with it is a good idea. Yes in CMB they all will jump up when the Gate is open and the business class passengers will also have to fight their way through to the Gate.
Some airlines like EVA hold a board that has the Zone on it and all have to queue in front of that. Zone 1 is the priority and business class and they mostly have no issues with it. Zone 2 is the Silver and PE and there you have everyone queuing up including Zone 3 and 4 too. That creates a lot of confusion and also stress but from what I have seen the Ground Staff are fairly strict with their boarding procedure.
I have also seen some Asian airlines where it is a free for all.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by TTmex
I was in MXP (Malpensa) last year. Interesting system that Lufthansa used. They would pre-split the groups in to two zones. So those with priority boarding were allowed into a small holding area next to the door to the jetbridge and then the other groups were left in another area. It was a simple right/left kind of scenario before boarding even began. Ensured anyone in the priority group got on first. Not sure it's the most efficient always, but seemed to work well. Of course, it did benefit from their being suitable space
Same at JER (Jersey C.I.) ... varies by gate design but generally the groups are separated as you describe on reading the gate. But all our gates are 'holding rooms' off the main corridor, with BP screened as you enter, which makes it much easier to manage.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by dav662
It is both the fear of losing the hand luggage to the hold and also people who fear that they will not have a place to put their own hand luggage though they are only carrying one piece. I think boarding EC starting from the back and be forceful with it is a good idea. Yes in CMB they all will jump up when the Gate is open and the business class passengers will also have to fight their way through to the Gate.
Some airlines like EVA hold a board that has the Zone on it and all have to queue in front of that. Zone 1 is the priority and business class and they mostly have no issues with it. Zone 2 is the Silver and PE and there you have everyone queuing up including Zone 3 and 4 too. That creates a lot of confusion and also stress but from what I have seen the Ground Staff are fairly strict with their boarding procedure.
I have also seen some Asian airlines where it is a free for all.
I have seen the queuing up phenomena in US and elsewhere also. What I have concluded is , people are like sheep, they want to follow a "leader" If one starts a line, notice people will join him / her! A cpouple of months ago I saw a domestic pax in F stand at the sign that said First Class only. I wondered why he needs to line up and that too before any announcements are made. Of course there was a long line that formed behind him.
Seen this in INTL airports too. Primary reason can be cultural upbringing, systems, mind sets etc.. It also the NEED to have "my carryon right over my head" need (security, access in flight etc. My last flight out of FRA there was a sort of a stampede, Business class was called up, I got up and there was a mini stampede around me . Fellow pushed me and all I could come up with was " relax we all will get there at the same time"!.,
TTmex likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HMPS
What I have concluded is , people are like sheep, they want to follow a "leader" ,
Yep, just look at an Apple Store.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

I observe most answers pertain to the queues at boarding (probably because they are the most commonly experienced!) but for what it’s worth, I’m my experience, the blockade at check in was the most problematic,if only because in some cases it could lead to some people missing their check in deadline and being denied boarding, and also because the nature of check in gates means you can’t pass people queuing in front of you and go sideways as recommended by Swanhunter. You have to literally ask them to get out of the way to go forward which many less confident passengers will find very embarrassing to do.

in busy outstations with many flights to different london airports (and man etc in summer) such as NCE, AMS, AGP etc it can be a real and persistent issue.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Gate lice.
This was a huge deal with UA more so than AA a few years back, but happens in the US and the term is funny, but apt. That said with my home airport being SFO, I remember a flight to IAD on a Sunday morning being well over half GS and 1K for a full 757, so hard to avoid a pile up on the old queuing rules.

US airlines now have much more fine grained boarding grouping and take more than a half-hearted stab at enforcing this. CK first, then F, then status passengers etc etc. At outstations for BA in Europe no one cares and reverts to local custom. In Italy you don't queue, you scrum, and for those familiar with the layouts of departure areas in places like PSA it is a scrum. Pisses off the brits no end
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by prof

You’re right that it’s madness, c-w-s, but unfortunately unless you’re in Club or better (or possibly WT+), boarding last is pretty much a guarantee not to find space for even a reasonably sized carry-on bag. So one is ultimately forced to participate in the madness, at least up to a point. Now if there were a way to stop the pre-queue queue from forming, that would solve the problem before it really gets going. But once a bit of a pre-queue builds up a critical mass, it’s very difficult to reign it in, and people get sucked into it!
There is a way to stop it. Change the queuing discipline from First Come First Served to Last Come First Served.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.