Search

Thanksgiving cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Thanksgiving cancellations

Hi all,

I'm booked to go to LAS on an amex 2-4-1 redemption, out on the 25th Nov and flying back 29th. I'm aware that these flights are potentially vulnerable to being cancelled due the usual Thanksgiving schedule changes.

Questions for you experts:

1. When could I assume I'm 'in the clear' and the flights won't get cancelled?

2. If they do get cancelled, are the options just a refund or rebook for free?

If the answer to 2 is yes, I'm guessing I'd be snookered as there is unlikely to be redemption availability to get to LAS for my original dates. Don't know if it affects things but I'm in CW on the way out and F on the return.

Any experience / advice gratefully received.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Won’t any frequent reductions for thanksgiving already be loaded? I don’t remember seeing any posts in previous years about cancellations due to thanksgiving.

rebook or refund are usual options for cancellations. There are lots of options flying on AA To LAX/PHX etc to connect on to ba flights.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
LAS isn't at risk from this, NYC, PHL, ORD, SEA, IAH, ATL maybe, usually at least one service is maintained even so, but LAS isn't in the usual scope for this.
Markie likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Wow, extremely quick responses and very helpful.

Much appreciated!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Last few years LAX has certainly lost one or two ont the day but that’s it, not over several days and I have never seen once dailies such as LAS, PHX etc get chopped
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Aviator11
Wow, extremely quick responses and very helpful.

Much appreciated!
that is why FT is so great
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Aviator11
Hi all,

I'm booked to go to LAS on an amex 2-4-1 redemption, out on the 25th Nov and flying back 29th. I'm aware that these flights are potentially vulnerable to being cancelled due the usual Thanksgiving schedule changes.

Questions for you experts:

1. When could I assume I'm 'in the clear' and the flights won't get cancelled?

2. If they do get cancelled, are the options just a refund or rebook for free?

If the answer to 2 is yes, I'm guessing I'd be snookered as there is unlikely to be redemption availability to get to LAS for my original dates. Don't know if it affects things but I'm in CW on the way out and F on the return.

Any experience / advice gratefully received.
BA are unlikely to cancel any flights due to thanksgiving, indeed like the US airlines themselves, it’s a very busy time, the only flights I suspect go out emptier than usual are perhaps the weds and thurs from the US but will naturally be busy on the way in
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The day before Thanksgiving (Wednesday) and the Sunday after Thanksgiving are the two busiest air travel days of the year in the US. I cannot imagine BA cancelling service to its largest external market.

But, if it did, LAS has AA service from every US gateway and thus you would be rebooked on a connection. Award availability is irrelevant as EC 261/2004 provides for a refund or rebooking at the passenger's option.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:09 am
Suspended

It’s the busiest for domestic travel but slow for international. Few Americans go on holiday to Europe for thanksgiving (an increasing number go on holiday vs visit family but Europe is down the list due to the season) and business travel dries up that week.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I was booked LHR-PHL on AA last year over Thanksgiving. AA cancelled a large number of their international flights during the Thanksgiving week around 17 June.
I opted for some extra TPs and was rerouted on BA via JFK.

Last edited by gcuk; Jun 23, 2019 at 7:38 am
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
My mother flies over from the UK to see me every Thanksgiving and we have found the Wednesday into JFK to be exceptionally busy. I was expecting international flights that day to be pretty lightly loaded but it took her about 2.5hrs to clear immigration at JFK one time. I later looked up on the USCIS website and that evening was the busiest for immigration at Terminal 7 for the whole year.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
I travelled to Boston in 2017 the day before Thanksgiving and going to immigration went extremely smooth. I was able to use the automatic kiosks but had to wait on a friend travelling with me who made his first visit ever so he had to following the 'line-up for immigration' procedure. But even he was at the baggage claim area only a few minutes after our bags were on the carrousel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.