Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flowers on plane

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by AceCobra1
Just going to Hong Kong - doubt they as strict as aussie lol
Cut flowers are fine to bring into Hong Kong. As are fruit and vegetables. Boxes of mangoes used to be a favourite carry-on item for people returning from Australia.

Consider orchids. They last longer (keep stem damp) and are usually packaged in boxes.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just going to Hong Kong - doubt they as strict as aussie lol
Probably:

Plants and plants pests

Under the Plant (Importation and Pest Control) Ordinance, Chapter 207, Laws of Hong Kong, it is illegal to import plants, plant pests or soil into Hong Kong without a valid licence / authorization issued in advance by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department.However, plants produced in and imported from any place in China outside Hong Kong are exempted from licensing requirement. The exemption also applies to the import of cut flowers, fruits and vegetables for consumption.
https://www.customs.gov.hk/en/trade_...nts/index.html
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: Tour Operator
Well, I think it easy if you put into a box with stick and should be hard to break. Cost depends on weight.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:50 pm

The missus brought back some orchids from BKK.....not the packaged variety you get in the airport, but an open bunch bought at a market which I suspected would be confiscated on our way back to the UK.

We were flying KL and had no issues with customs in AMS or the UK and as they were looking a bit dehydrated and sorry for themselves on the last leg from AMS to NCL, one of the cabin crew took them off us a plonked them into a glass of 7UP which we were reliably informed would refresh the now sad and limp looking blooms.

Surprisingly, by the time we arrived into NCL, the flowers had spruced up and the previously bent stems were rigid.

Sadly, the aforementioned beverage seemingly only works to ‘refresh’ flaccid plant stems.....much to my disappointment!��
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
Thanks for the heads up.

I just wanted to clarify, when they say " The exemption also applies to the import of cut flowers, fruits and vegetables for consumption." I assume "cut flowers" would be the flowers that had the stems removed?

Last edited by AceCobra1; Jun 21, 2019 at 2:53 am
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
On a more serious note It's actually a good question and not one I think I've seen before for travelling outwards. Where are you off to?

It may be that you are not allowed Flowers/Plants in other countries and Australia springs to mind as an example. I'm now curious as to what the official answer may be.
You can take flowers into Australia, you must declare them. I used to take Orchids from BKK or SIN for my late Mum all the time. They get inspected for bugs on arrival with an expert and a white tray. I never had a problem with flowers bought in either of those 2 airports.
PETER01 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I got very excited with the title of this thread..
Thought it was a sequel to "Snakes on a plane"... oh well
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: QF WP
Thanks for the heads up.

I just wanted to clarify, when they say " The exemption also applies to the import of cut flowers, fruits and vegetables for consumption." I assume "cut flowers" would be the flowers that had the stems removed?
cut flowers just means the stems have been removed from the plant. The stems will still be attached to the flower but not the roots etc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_flowers
PETER01, AceCobra1 and DeathSlam like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Surprisingly many countries allow import of cut flowers on a personal basis even if their agriculture requirement are otherwise harsh. For example the USA https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-united-states

Carrying them onto an aircraft is no problem, other than other passengers crushing them. Do be careful of placing a bunch of flowers on their side if there is any water-retaining material on the end of the stems, even one that claims to be nonsplillable. In my experience they tend to leak if not upright.

You can, on a shorter flight, take a window seat and put flowers by your knee between your leg and the fuselage. They usually survive that.

I bring flowers from Amsterdam to the UK every so often. The Netherlands has more interesting varieties of tulip flowers for sale than the UK does.
PETER01 and AceCobra1 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I’ve seen passengers, and often crew bringing flowers back from SIN. There’s no issue on that route,
Every time I visit SIN and BKK, I always bring back orchids. Normally the florist will package them for travel in the cabin. Just ask. I have never received or been questioned about my orchids.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:24 am

I've taken cut flowers on various trips. Given some countries are pretty fussy about what you can bring it, I've always been prepared for them to be confiscated but so far no problem.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I frequently brought orchids back from Sin. Asking the CC very nicely, they were always happy to look after them. (J n F)
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Make sure the florist is not doing one of those fancy cellophane wraps/balloons/test tubes at the bottom which they fill with water. Wet hand towels will help. Other than that it is really just a matter of trying not to squash them and hoping they don't wilt. Airports are crowded and there are plenty of people who will bump into you especially when you become a "wide load" because you have a bouquet in hand. It also makes it much harder to juggle your passport, boarding pass and hand luggage especially at security/border control. They're not likely to be in perfect condition by arrival (the same as any traveller) so something less fragile might be a better gesture.

I have taken flowers with me on a business trip before - a present before departure from the then-husband with the insistence that I should take them with me, with no real appreciation of the annoyance factor of having to carry and protect them all the way. I wonder sometimes if that was his real intention...
AceCobra1 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
No idea about flowers but I did once take a 2lb trout on a BA aircraft.

Unless there are import restrictions I can't see there being a problem. Making friends with the cabin crew will help.
How romantic!
HIDDY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.