Community
Wiki Posts
Search

School dinner desserts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:45 am

I love rants like these! I agree, but I think the solution is to just vote with one’s wallet and fly CX instead, assuming schedule is acceptable.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:04 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
May be a minority opinion here, but I personally *love* BA desserts. Usually the favorite part of my meal on BA. So much so, I often do starter, soup, dessert and cheese while skipping the main.

Some of the recent ones on-board from the past couple of weeks - both the chocolate mille-feuille and orange sponge pudding have been divine. (Even the strawberry custard tart that graces the CCR menu these days is super!)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't know what has happened to this forum. It really is unconscionable that someone here is complaining their pudding was spotted dick. You won't get that delicacy on AA.
.... and you won’t get a loaded Ice Cream Sundae on BA.

Assembled from the trolley at your seat, toppings according to preference. I usually just say “Everything, please.”
Lefly likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Which cabin? I've seen ice cream as a pudding choice on an F menu recently (this month), at least ex-LHR.
I got apple strudel with cream anglaise and ice cream in F last week (very nice) . I also like BA's desert options as opposed to other carriers.

John
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I've generally always found the desserts on BA to be quite good presentation wise and taste wise but looking at it from a health perspective Desserts and Cheese are really not good for the old ticker so take note all you older ones here on FT.

*They really should not be eaten at all, they're high in saturated fat and the sugar content in the Desserts in also very high.

(*In the hope that anyone takes this advice that means I can go for a 2nd pudding or 2nd cheese plate )
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:32 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by icegirl
Desserts are one thing that very rarely go wrong on an airline. BA, in my opinion, do very well here, I would very much like to see a decent rice pudding or a riz au lait as in all my years flying no one has ever offered one.
God Forbid. You’ll be wanting Tapioca next. Utterly revolting.

Dear OP. You must realise that this is BRITISH Airways and not Air France and that desserts like a lot of the food are still at Infant School level. There may be any amount of discussion about the merits of whichever bling-bling Champagne marque they quaff, but scratch the service and I guarantee that if they served Rhubarb Crumble and Custard or Ice Cream and they’d run out by Row 3.

Reader I married one.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by T8191
.... and you won’t get a loaded Ice Cream Sundae on BA.

Assembled from the trolley at your seat, toppings according to preference. I usually just say “Everything, please.”
You will in First
MikeFromTokyo and T8191 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

God Forbid. You’ll be wanting Tapioca next. Utterly revolting.
Girl you need to come and try mine!

Never tried Tapioca so can't comment but you shouldn't write it off.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318411.php
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
...Rhubarb Crumble and Custard or Ice Cream...
Now, which is it? You can't sit on the fence here. Personally I'd go for custard

And would it be ketchup or brown sauce on a bacon sandwich? Ketchup all the time here!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by simonsmith

i am more your chocolate sponge and pink custard man , or sticky toffee or spotted dick or jam rolly polly ......

Oh now you have got me wandering back through school dinners. Anything but tapioca pudding, with a blob of jam in the middle, please.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Tapioca pudding. I diligently read the Health benefits.
However, many, many years ago I ate this stuff at school. Never again.
A Blumenthal bread and butter pudding would be good, though. Blumenthal's is not as good as the one that Warren House sometimes do.
PUCCI GALORE and Bogwoppit like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I guarantee that if they served Rhubarb Crumble and Custard or Ice Cream and they’d run out by Row 3.
I am totally certain you are correct, and if it was custard it would be easy to prepare, keeps well, inexpensive, taste good at 35,000 feet and would induce anguished expressions for "Seconds" from half the customers. It is even inexpensive just in case I haven't mentioned it. So goodness knows why BA haven't tried it, they could even get a foodie spin by originating the rhubarb from the Yorkshire Triangle.
T8191 and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Geordie405
Now, which is it? You can't sit on the fence here. Personally I'd go for custard
I love rhubarb crumble^
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Given that I mainly fly down the back, WT and WT+ but also twice in CW this year I have seen a variety of the desserts that BA have to offer and whilst the Do&Co desserts (small though they be) are tasty, I would surely love some traditional British school dinner desserts! Spotted dick, apple crumble with custard, even that weird (custard?) tart that seems to be a British school dinner favourite and brings back many memories of prep school!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:09 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by icegirl
Girl you need to come and try mine!

Never tried Tapioca so can't comment but you shouldn't write it off.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318411.php
Sweetheart I am afraid that I was put off it when in hospital as a child and the very thought makes me heave. No disrespect but I am very unfaddy with food, but that, Tapioca, Brussels Sprouts, Parsnips, and Swedes (unless they are called Bjorn or Sven) are things that I will never eat. Ever. Write it off? I've dimissed them from my table, kitchen, and life.

In fairness I am more of a Savoury than Sweet person .
DragonSoul likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.