FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   School dinner desserts (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1974694-school-dinner-desserts.html)

Sparkyfletch Jun 19, 2019 4:58 am

School dinner desserts

I've been mulling this over for sometime. Maybe it is just me, but for desert it is cheese and biscuits or something chilled. I remember a few years ago some really descent ice cream, particularly the matcha green tea and a very rich vanilla by the ice cream union from memory. I was just told its only on the summer menu, well it is June and on BA5 last week it was bloody spotted dick outbound and something equally school dinner on return. Three bits of fruit in a mini ramakin or a Magnum from the back outbound but never on the return. Why cant they do it like CX with the nice Hagen Dazs selection?

ajeleonard Jun 19, 2019 5:09 am

I like spotted dick and other 'school dinner' esque desserts

They will never please everyone's personal tastes

simonsmith Jun 19, 2019 5:12 am

I have always found deserts on planes a disappointment .

i am more your chocolate sponge and pink custard man , or sticky toffee or spotted dick or jam rolly polly ......

Deltus Jun 19, 2019 5:25 am

For me, desert is the big sandy thing you fly over on approach to PHX.

Sparkyfletch Jun 19, 2019 5:29 am

Then maybe keep the quintessential British desert with a nice ice cream alternative. They can store it with the frozen utensils!

Gastrocnemius Jun 19, 2019 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Sparkyfletch (Post 31217819)
I remember a few years ago some really descent ice cream, particularly the matcha green tea and a very rich vanilla by the ice cream union from memory.

I think the problem is they now only serve it at cruising altitude....

Diver Boy Jun 19, 2019 5:47 am

At least BA aren't as bad as some others, I have had plenty of flights where the only dessert choice is chocolate or worse a choice of chocolate, chocolate or more chocolate. As someone that that prefers not to eat chocolate I find I like the BA choices of the sponge puds.

13901 Jun 19, 2019 5:55 am

My pet hate is the Lily O’Brien pot in Economy. I know everyone else seem to be loving it but had I had it my own way it’d be banned and all references to it burned in a big pyre à la Viking funeral.

Oaxaca Jun 19, 2019 5:58 am

Which cabin? I've seen ice cream as a pudding choice on an F menu recently (this month), at least ex-LHR.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 19, 2019 6:14 am

I don't know what has happened to this forum. It really is unconscionable that someone here is complaining their pudding was spotted dick. You won't get that delicacy on AA.

nancypants Jun 19, 2019 6:16 am

Slightly off topic I suppose but does anyone have any insight into why the cheesecake base is always some horrid sponge cakey stuff instead of biscuit?

fotographer Jun 19, 2019 6:23 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31218008)
Slightly off topic I suppose but does anyone have any insight into why the cheesecake base is always some horrid sponge cakey stuff instead of biscuit?

that way you cant tell if its off

icegirl Jun 19, 2019 6:26 am

Desserts are one thing that very rarely go wrong on an airline. BA, in my opinion, do very well here, I would very much like to see a decent rice pudding or a riz au lait as in all my years flying no one has ever offered one.

irishguy28 Jun 19, 2019 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Deltus (Post 31217882)
For me, desert is the big sandy thing you fly over on approach to PHX.

BA can be a bit of a food desert, too!

At the weekend, the Cabin Services Manager (or whatever they are called) gave the tray she'd enquired if I'd like to someone else, then only realised her mistake when she came around with the bread basket.

T8191 Jun 19, 2019 6:38 am

Being something of a chocophile, some BA desserts appeal to me. But frankly I’m generally happy with the cheese plate ... provided it has some decent biscuits, and an extra fix of butter, please.