Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does BA take £15 to cancel a booking?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Why does BA take £15 to cancel a booking?

I have to cancel a flight i bought and with the £15 that they take for "admin" which will essentially have no human contact whatsoever as i am doing this online, what is the justification for them to take this money? I am slightly annoyed and what i am going to do is just check in so that they cant resell my ticket.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
How do you think they developed the system that let you cancel with no human contact? They paid someone to do this for them.

Albeit not as much as we would have all liked but a lot of thought and development went into that system and that's their charge. Simple as that I'd say.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
£15 sounds incredible reasonable to me, in comparison to Easyjet £25, Ryanair £Full-cost minus tax etc.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Its just infuriating that i will now get £10 instead of the allotted £25 from my taxes etc. They are already getting the cost of my ticket, albeit not much.. and will probably resell my ticket if i cancel as its months away.

The only thing that this is doing is making me keep the seat so they dont make more money on it. Yes it can be used as a no show but at least it wont be resold.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Reasonable is an interesting description - that others charge more doesn't make it reasonable - other airlines I use dont charge a fee ( beyond the cancellation penalty of the fare rules )
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
I have to cancel a flight i bought and with the £15 that they take for "admin" which will essentially have no human contact whatsoever as i am doing this online, what is the justification for them to take this money? I am slightly annoyed and what i am going to do is just check in so that they cant resell my ticket.
Is this a serious post? BA made clear before you bought your ticket what the cancellation terms were. If you chose not to read them that's your choice. Believe it or not it costs a company money to process a refund and there's no reason why that shouldn't be passed onto the consumer. Is there much point to keeping this thread open?
gilfiom likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navylad
£15 sounds incredible reasonable to me, in comparison to Easyjet £25, Ryanair £Full-cost minus tax etc.

Both easyjet and ryanair charge way less for tickets in the first place though. The reason im cancelling is because there is a ryanair flight that is going to get me home easier and it was a fraction of the BA flight.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by navylad
You're not really comparing like with like here are you? Many BA fares will get you the same as Ryanair.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jp-mco
Is this a serious post? BA made clear before you bought your ticket what the cancellation terms were. If you chose not to read them that's your choice. Believe it or not it costs a company money to process a refund and there's no reason why that shouldn't be passed onto the consumer. Is there much point to keeping this thread open?
Yes i did thank you and im a frequent flyer, albeit not always with BA because frankly, euro traveler isnt worth it at all.

My point is that should i cancel, BA will resell the ticket and make more money on it, especially the popular route i have the ticket for. Taking that amount of money and making the cancellation effectively worthless for me means that i will simply not cancel, meaning that they lose money on a ticket that they could have resold at the elevated price i have just seen they are selling the tickets for.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
BA also lost the ability to sell the seat to someone else while the OP was holding it. A percentage of cancelled bookings must result in the seat not being re-sold and so cost BA revenue.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
They’ll resell your seat anyway. Take what you can get. Without knowing details of your flight I guess Ryanair will get you to a different airport too.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:45 am

Yes i did thank you and im a frequent flyer, albeit not always with BA because frankly, euro traveler isnt worth it at all.

My point is that should i cancel, BA will resell the ticket and make more money on it, especially the popular route i have the ticket for. Taking that amount of money and making the cancellation effectively worthless for me means that i will simply not cancel, meaning that they lose money on a ticket that they could have resold at the elevated price i have just seen they are selling the tickets for.
You can't be that much of a frequent flyer if an airline cancellation fee surprises you. Which airlines have you flown that don't charge cancellation fees? You also don't appear to be familiar with the process of overselling (which a frequent flyer is). Even if you check-in BA can, and likely will, still sell your seat.
nancypants and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:47 am
Original Poster

They wont because it will appear that i am still flying.. i know they oversell but they only do that by a certain number.. they dont overselll a whole plane of passengers. For £10 im going to keep the ticket and if something goes wrong with the Ryanair flight at least i have a back up and i wouldnt have done that if i had the majority of my taxes returned to me, not taken by BA.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jp-mco
You can't be that much of a frequent flyer if an airline cancellation fee surprises you. Which airlines have you flown that don't charge cancellation fees? You also don't appear to be familiar with the process of overselling (which a frequent flyer is). Even if you check-in BA can, and likely will, still sell your seat.
Your post is extremely condescending. I am not surprised by it at all but i am asking WHY it exists. And as you can see by my post above, i am aware of overselling but i am also aware that BA MUST lose revenue from people like me who keep the flights and even check in.
SW7London likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

They wont because it will appear that i am still flying.. i know they oversell but they only do that by a certain number.. they dont overselll a whole plane of passengers. For £10 im going to keep the ticket and if something goes wrong with the Ryanair flight at least i have a back up and i wouldnt have done that if i had the majority of my taxes returned to me, not taken by BA.
They may still sell your seat. Even if you check in online, as soon as it's apparent you're not physically there (approximately 30 minutes before the flight), the seat will be available for somebody that is on standby.
Anonba and Oxnardjan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.