Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When are you ‘safe’ from being downgraded or bumped from an oversold flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:04 am
Original Poster

If you have completed OLCI and downloaded boarding passes are you then ‘safe’ or could you still be downgraded or bumped at the airport?

(Thinking about oversold flights specifically here. I understand a seat can suddenly become unusable at the last minute due to tech issues, vomit, etc)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by mastutio
If you have completed OLCI and downloaded boarding passes are you then ‘safe’ or could you still be downgraded or bumped at the airport?

(Thinking about oversold flights specifically here. I understand a seat can suddenly become unusable at the last minute due to tech issues, vomit, etc)
I have only once at terminal 5 seen BA staff calling people to the gate desk and bumping them off, this was a long time ago on a flight to Boston.
So i guess it can happen.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Equipment change Is another.

A friend of mine a couple weeks ago got bumped, along with 40 other people until the next day because the original aircraft went tech and the new aircraft was smaller.

You're never safe!
whherron likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
When the wheels leave the ground.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by fruitcage
+1

Once you're in your seat you'd be pretty unlucky to be re-seated.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Sometimes after that if the seat is defective.

Few things in aviation are guaranteed, but having checked in with a seat allocated against your name is a very good start, particularly if you have status, but even more so if you are on carriage (have a connection) and more so still if you are not on a 125 or Joint Business ticket - BA are reluctant to muck up other airlines' tickets.

Statistically you are far, far more likely to be upgraded.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I do not know how BA does it but with SQ it depends a lot on the type of passenger and his membership and also the connections. The connections play a major role. If you are connecting they try to keep you. If you are Elite and it was Solitaire then you fly no matter what. Gold they will not bump off. So it is the poor guy going on holiday with the lowest fare and no Frequent flyer is the first choice to get bumped. He is the one who may be mostly accepting the compensation and the opportunity to fly in a better class,
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by pythonisman
+1

Unless you're flying United
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
+1

I’d argue it’s only when you get to your destination. Could easily turn around midair...

Have there ever been a case of a flight landing at destination, passengers saying onboard, and then the flight returning to its origin?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Guys, let us be realistic and not cause unnecessary concerns for the OP.

As the OP has BP already he/she is almost guaranteed to fly as booked. The likelihood of equipm. change, seats broken/unuseable causing the OP to be bumped or downgraded is close to zero. Yes, it happens but is still very very seldom.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by madfish

I’d argue it’s only when you get to your destination. Could easily turn around midair...

Have there ever been a case of a flight landing at destination, passengers saying onboard, and then the flight returning to its origin?
I think this is what they do to passengers that undo their seatbelts after landing before the sign has gone off.
Carter633 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
+1

I've been downgraded at the cabin door. Walked to the cabin door in J, was reseated in Y.

Was not BA, and was a completely free flight, and couldn't therefore whinge though.

*edit - of course I could whinge, and did, and still do
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by mastutio
I understand a seat can suddenly become unusable at the last minute due to tech issues, vomit, etc)

Reading other threads on here, vomit doesn't seem to be a reason to make a seat unusable.

BA6501 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
+1

BUT, I was upgraded once from WT+ to upped deck om a 747 - just before take off when a family with 2 screaming children sat next to me at the bulkhead. Better than getting downgraded or bumped - and I was not even Silver yet
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by eugegall
Equipment change Is another.

A friend of mine a couple weeks ago got bumped, along with 40 other people until the next day because the original aircraft went tech and the new aircraft was smaller.

You're never safe!
I was watching exactly the same thing couple of weeks ago on Heathrow TV series, where a flight was downgraded from A380 to 777 due to technical issues.This left 40 odd people stranded for a day.Very unpleasant.
eugegall likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.