FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   When are you ‘safe’ from being downgraded or bumped from an oversold flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1974324-when-you-safe-being-downgraded-bumped-oversold-flight.html)

mastutio Jun 17, 2019 1:04 am

When are you ‘safe’ from being downgraded or bumped from an oversold flight?

If you have completed OLCI and downloaded boarding passes are you then ‘safe’ or could you still be downgraded or bumped at the airport?

(Thinking about oversold flights specifically here. I understand a seat can suddenly become unusable at the last minute due to tech issues, vomit, etc)

stewaran Jun 17, 2019 1:26 am

Originally Posted by mastutio (Post 31210181)
If you have completed OLCI and downloaded boarding passes are you then ‘safe’ or could you still be downgraded or bumped at the airport?

(Thinking about oversold flights specifically here. I understand a seat can suddenly become unusable at the last minute due to tech issues, vomit, etc)

I have only once at terminal 5 seen BA staff calling people to the gate desk and bumping them off, this was a long time ago on a flight to Boston.
So i guess it can happen.

eugegall Jun 17, 2019 1:29 am

Equipment change Is another.

A friend of mine a couple weeks ago got bumped, along with 40 other people until the next day because the original aircraft went tech and the new aircraft was smaller.

You're never safe!

fruitcage Jun 17, 2019 1:42 am

When the wheels leave the ground.

pythonisman Jun 17, 2019 1:46 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage (Post 31210259)

+1

Once you're in your seat you'd be pretty unlucky to be re-seated. :)

corporate-wage-slave Jun 17, 2019 1:47 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage (Post 31210259)

Sometimes after that if the seat is defective.

Few things in aviation are guaranteed, but having checked in with a seat allocated against your name is a very good start, particularly if you have status, but even more so if you are on carriage (have a connection) and more so still if you are not on a 125 or Joint Business ticket - BA are reluctant to muck up other airlines' tickets.

Statistically you are far, far more likely to be upgraded.

Davvidd Jun 17, 2019 2:12 am

I do not know how BA does it but with SQ it depends a lot on the type of passenger and his membership and also the connections. The connections play a major role. If you are connecting they try to keep you. If you are Elite and it was Solitaire then you fly no matter what. Gold they will not bump off. So it is the poor guy going on holiday with the lowest fare and no Frequent flyer is the first choice to get bumped. He is the one who may be mostly accepting the compensation and the opportunity to fly in a better class,

Katamarino Jun 17, 2019 2:49 am

Originally Posted by pythonisman (Post 31210265)
+1

Unless you're flying United :D

madfish Jun 17, 2019 3:04 am

+1

I’d argue it’s only when you get to your destination. Could easily turn around midair...

Have there ever been a case of a flight landing at destination, passengers saying onboard, and then the flight returning to its origin?

SK AAR Jun 17, 2019 3:22 am

Guys, let us be realistic and not cause unnecessary concerns for the OP.

As the OP has BP already he/she is almost guaranteed to fly as booked. The likelihood of equipm. change, seats broken/unuseable causing the OP to be bumped or downgraded is close to zero. Yes, it happens but is still very very seldom.

FlyerMU Jun 17, 2019 3:23 am

Originally Posted by madfish (Post 31210387)

I’d argue it’s only when you get to your destination. Could easily turn around midair...

Have there ever been a case of a flight landing at destination, passengers saying onboard, and then the flight returning to its origin?

I think this is what they do to passengers that undo their seatbelts after landing before the sign has gone off.

Sam Bee Jun 17, 2019 3:38 am

+1

I've been downgraded at the cabin door. Walked to the cabin door in J, was reseated in Y. :)

Was not BA, and was a completely free flight, and couldn't therefore whinge though.

*edit - of course I could whinge, and did, and still do

BarneyMcGrew Jun 17, 2019 4:41 am

Originally Posted by mastutio (Post 31210181)
I understand a seat can suddenly become unusable at the last minute due to tech issues, vomit, etc)

Reading other threads on here, vomit doesn't seem to be a reason to make a seat unusable. :rolleyes:

tmac100 Jun 17, 2019 5:22 am

+1

BUT, I was upgraded once from WT+ to upped deck om a 747 - just before take off when a family with 2 screaming children sat next to me at the bulkhead. Better than getting downgraded or bumped - and I was not even Silver yet ;)

Amun_ra Jun 17, 2019 5:58 am

Originally Posted by eugegall (Post 31210218)
Equipment change Is another.

A friend of mine a couple weeks ago got bumped, along with 40 other people until the next day because the original aircraft went tech and the new aircraft was smaller.

You're never safe!

I was watching exactly the same thing couple of weeks ago on Heathrow TV series, where a flight was downgraded from A380 to 777 due to technical issues.This left 40 odd people stranded for a day.Very unpleasant.