Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA835 - 14/06 - Hard Landing then Go Around

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA835 - 14/06 - Hard Landing then Go Around

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
In military comms you will hear a two word response of "Wait Out", which means "I am going to have to do something and will come back to you". eg "Contact, Wait Out" which means "somebody is shooting at me, and as soon as I know what is going on I will let you know".

The radio net is supposed to go very quiet to allow them full precedence, a bit like "Mayday, Mayday"!
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:46 pm

All very similar to race control comms at motor racing track events, possibly because a lot are ex military. "Wait out" is very common if there has been an incident and race control are dealing with it...earily quiet over the radio. The longer the silence the more serious it tends to be.

anyways, back to touch n goes.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by antichef
In military comms you will hear a two word response of "Wait Out", which means "I am going to have to do something and will come back to you". eg "Contact, Wait Out" which means "somebody is shooting at me, and as soon as I know what is going on I will let you know".

The radio net is supposed to go very quiet to allow them full precedence, a bit like "Mayday, Mayday"!
In aviation terms I believe they use standby for this. I get it often flying light aircraft in and around Surrey whilst speaking to the very busy Farnborough. Especially at weekends.

Glad to hear that touching before going around is as rare as I thought. My wife backed up thought that we didn't bounce and go around. We were rolling for long enough for us to look at each other and say something about how hard the landing was, then we went around.

On YouTube there is a 787 doing a similar thing on the same runway although this was a bounce and we were rolling.

Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Caught a rather nasty gust at the last few moments, it seems.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:25 am

BA has a policy which states that after two missed attempts they would normally divert unless a significant improvement in the weather has happened or is likely to happen very shortly. We do not, as previously stated, take part in LAHSOs, and in the US you can be no9 on the Approach and still be cleared to land, it is the way the cousins do it. The last point of a go around is selection of reverse, only then are you committed to land. Pilots are taught early on to throw away a landing that isn’t right, it is the safest course of action, rarely would we consider continuing with a problem and KARFA outlines this well, a cargo fire would be a good example of continue with the approach. There is no shame in admitting you have cocked up a landing, safe pilots would do that, pressing on when things were not right would be dangerous. Bounce GAs are not common but a low level Ga can lead to a brush. A bounce can be better dealt with by Going around than attempting to continue with an already bad landing.
LTN Phobia and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
As another ATCO, I assume a slow clearance of the runway by the one ahead.

In Mil ATC, landing with one on is common ... but then arrestor hooks and brake 'chutes do help, as well as being able to pass to the side [fast-jets only]. I've cleared a/c to land in turn with 5 ahead and 6 on, in a very intense recovery period (34 RAAF Mirages)
As one who follows your interesting & often amusing posts, I can't be the only FT'r who now would love to know exactly what you did in the military. Unless of course it's obvious from the above ie take off / landing officer on a carrier (ATC) ?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:13 pm
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

i don’t think this is the case. There is at least one story upthread of landing on the third attempt and I have heard similar stories elsewhere as well. As always you are limited by your fuel and if the weather is really bad it may be there is no point continually trying the same thing and expecting a different result.

Why would there be blushes? I don’t see why they would lie? Wind is tricky, it’s not embarrassing to say the aircraft wasn’t stable because of it? On the 5/6 go arounds I have experienced (all BA) the crew have always been open about the reasons on the PA - there was one occasion involving an airprox which was subsequently investigated and reported on by the airprox board where the crew were very reticent to give a clear reason over the pa (they didn’t try and blame something else tho), although knowing they would be reporting it I can fully understand the crew’s wish not to say too much publicly.
In fairness I may be wrong. However we get a lot of weather related go arounds in JER, and I therefore have a pretty good sense of whether the approach is sufficiently stable, especially when it’s very gusty. This one just felt all wrong, and I wasn’t surprised to hear the engines spool up - I was then a bit disconcerted when he blamed traffic.

As for the two tries, I was told by a BA captain that generally they are only allowed two goes when the issue is weather. I have the utmost respect for aircrew professionalism generally - I have probably had 20-30 go arounds and have never felt unsafe. I have had an aborted take off only once, at LHR in the halcyon days of the BD Belfast shuttle...
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by 'andad
As one who follows your interesting & often amusing posts, I can't be the only FT'r who now would love to know exactly what you did in the military. Unless of course it's obvious from the above ie take off / landing officer on a carrier (ATC) ?
Flatterer!

RAF ATCO, 1965-1993 ... although my later years saw me spending much of my time either at MoD or NATS. Mix of Airfield and Area ATC, SATCO, Area Supervisor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.