Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by BuckeyeinVandyland
It looks like BA has updated their "latest information" link regarding the possible strike to say "we are continuing with talks at ACAS"
Am not sure that can be termed ‘an update’ - unless there is a date attached to the statement (??) which I may well have missed (and very happy to be corrected, if so)

I believe the same wording was on the site almost three weeks ago ..... so perhaps it has just sat there ever since.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
main thing they're looking for is profit sharing if I recall, which BA won't give into, so it's down to whether BA give into that, or if pilots accept increases in pay + allowances. Both parties are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by paulaf
Because I'm stressed out about it, trying to find time to investigate alternative routes and airlines and then hotels at 2 destinations near the 2 possible airports in Cyprus for a variety of dates, which I shouldn't have to be doing as I booked these flights last year, but need to be prepared so I can make an instant decision if strike dates are announced for when I call BA to rebook.
Then your best course of action is to do that which you can do, so that you are ready if you have to take action.

Reading what is posted to this thread will also help. But repeatedly asking questions which are not going to be answered will not help your stress levels.
flygirl68, KARFA and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by paulaf
Because I'm stressed out about it, trying to find time to investigate alternative routes and airlines and then hotels at 2 destinations near the 2 possible airports in Cyprus for a variety of dates, which I shouldn't have to be doing as I booked these flights last year, but need to be prepared so I can make an instant decision if strike dates are announced for when I call BA to rebook.
just because a strike date is announced it does not follow that there will be a total shut down.

BALPA does not have to call out every pilot. It does not have to be every date, it could strike on a Wednesday and Sunday but not Friday and Tuesday. It could call out just LHR Pilots but not LGW or only A380 pilots or only Boeing fleet or any combination of all of those factors.

Until BA gets that info and looks at its operations and pilots rostas and assess the affects it is simply not going to immediately allow people to rebook.

You really do need to calm down until firm information is available and that will come when it comes.

johnaalex, rossmacd, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Porky Speedpig
Interesting - spoke with a few BA pilots yesterday - their understanding was that BALPA had given BA a final final deadline of noon today. Its 1500 now. No announcement seen.
Ow damn... Ive got a BA flight to ARN on 6th (then QR later on the day) which is within that 14 day notice window
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: QF WP
In fairness to uncle @T8191 and others, and as much as I disagree with the concept of strikes being for workers not professionals etc, i’m glad he has raised his disappointment here as this blows the “September will only affect business travellers/little children shouldn’t be allowed to be disappointed” argument out of the water IMO

there is no “good time” for a strike

come on BA, sort it out!
tmac100, flygirl68, McG and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by W213Sal
main thing they're looking for is profit sharing....
I suppose an agrgument could be made to say that any sustained period of strike action would negate any gains on that front for all concenred!
APUBleed likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by johnaalex
I suppose an agrgument could be made to say that any sustained period of strike action would negate any gains on that front for all concenred!
I would think that this is probably the point which BALPA are trying to make to BA!
nancypants and ClosetoLHR like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Latest offer rejected by BALPA, message has just gone out to all members
T8191, wrp96, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
What slightly changes for BA in terms of alternatives is the ongoing dreamliner engine issues, no MAXs and the Hadj season

The likes of Titan, Wamos, EuroAtlantic, HiFly / HighFly Malta, Privilege, Eastern(US) and Air Belgium are already flying at full stretch. (on flight radar 24 yesterday), there were 6 x 767s in the air with EuroAtlantic covering for Icelandair, Norgwegian and others whilst HiFly had 4 x A340s operating, and WAMOS had 4 x 747 and 3 x A330s working various routes. Gatwick crews may not be available to operate Heathrow flights either.
Even QATAR who BA relied on last time for SH aircraft is covering 2 Air Canada european flights from Montreal (with A330s) and a RAM flight too and so with these ongoing issues, BA's ability to charter aircraft in is severely limited.

Unless the pilot's requests such as profit share are red line items for BA, it makes no sense whatsoever for the business to allow this uncertainty to fester. Bookings MUST be down and even over the life time of a deal, it will pale into insignificance relative to the loss of business, increased costs with charters and other carriers and loss of market share.
T8191, nancypants and ClosetoLHR like this.

Last edited by Mikey Mike Mike; Aug 21, 2019 at 10:01 am Reason: grammar and spelling
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by woody90
Latest offer rejected by BALPA, message has just gone out to all members
Ah man! Any news on when strike dates might be set?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by samfrost93
Ah man! Any news on when strike dates might be set?
just because the latest offer was rejected doesn’t mean that they will automatically go on strike right? BA can still negotiate or resume talks?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EchoCharlieX
just because the latest offer was rejected doesn’t mean that they will automatically go on strike right? BA can still negotiate or resume talks?
Yes poteentially, but my understanding from other messages in this thread is that BA labelled the offers as their "final offer"... so we'll see!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by samfrost93
Yes poteentially, but my understanding from other messages in this thread is that BA labelled the offers as their "final offer"... so we'll see!
I read it as similar to their "final position" when they reject a passengers 261 claim. It suddenly becomes a lot less final when it goes to MCOL.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I once ran heavy-duty UK IR for a major corporate, having been trained in it by the best. I have to say that words are very important. I do not remember ever using the phrase "final offer". The English language's complexities allow many ways to negotiate. The best TU negotiators do not ask for a final offer.
However, BALPA have not had a serious strike-level issue with BA for many, many years. Maybe both sets of negotiators are too inexperienced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.