Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by manymany
Have been stressing all day, have 3 flights on 17th! Looks like I should be ok now.
+1 flying out to France on 17th with family for annual holiday and have had squeaky bum syndrome for the last week since this all hotted up thinking of excuses why in-laws (travelling certain LCC!) made it and we are stuck at home! Just have to worry about return on 28th now!
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by gengar
Excellent (selfishly, as I have a flight 19 Aug)!
Also flying 19 Aug. Phew. Load off, even if some extra time in Norway would have been fun too.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Edited the Wiki as follows:

"Has a strike been called yet?
No, not at the moment but BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. However, the two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks are expected to continue into the week of August 5th. So there will be no strike for the time being, and any strike announced would normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

That removes any reference to August 16th being the first possible strike date.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Willie Walsh - The lost boys

I was almost wanting to start a new thread on this because I wonder if Walsh has joined the lost boys and is so far removed from the reality of the people he works with, employs and the people that pay to fly on his planes. He should probably join the lost boys and do all people a favour, he can take Boeing CEO Muilenberg with him!

You may all immediately think yes, some probably will defend him because of CEO title, others might not care.

BUT with his recent declaration, that MAX LoI (Boeing 737 Max letter of intent (to purchase)) and now this...

But IAG boss Willie Walsh told the BBC: "I think the pay deal that has been offered is a fair deal."
He thinks that the pay he’s offered his staff his fair, if it was fair, surely we wouldn’t be seeing these strikes, the dismay by staff and BA taking BALPA to court.

His job will undoubtedly be a little bit more scrutinised off the back of Q2 results, whilst he’s IAG, he still holds the purse strings for BA employees.

I’m truly fed up with corporates washing themselves in money and showing no or very little reward to their hard working employees who ultimately deliver this, without them they wouldn’t (as some say here in south east London) have a pot to p*ss in!! (Sorry mods).

Small yet reasonable end-of-the-week rant over.

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Aug 2, 2019 at 11:56 am
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I was almost wanting to start a new thread on this because I wonder if Walsh has joined the lost boys and is so far removed from the reality of the people he works with, employs and the people that pay to fly on his planes. He should probably join the lost boys and do all people a favour, he can take Boeing CEO Muilenberg with him!

You may all immediately think yes, some probably will defend him because of CEO title, others might not care.

BUT with his recent declaration, that MAX LoI (Boeing 737 Max letter of intent (to purchase)) and now this...

He thinks that the pay he’s offered his staff his fair, if it was fair, surely we wouldn’t be seeing these strikes, the dismay by staff and BALPA taking BA to court.

His job will undoubtedly be a little bit more scrutinised off the back of Q2 results, whilst he’s IAG, he still holds the purse strings for BA employees.

I’m truly fed up with corporates washing themselves in money and showing no or very little reward to their hard working employees who ultimately deliver this, without them they wouldn’t (as some say here in south east London) have a pot to p*ss in!! (Sorry mods).

Small yet reasonable end-of-the-week rant over.
A fair rant but it was BA taking BALPA to court.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
My flight on 17th Aug appears safe, so finally able to make more definitive plans! Still have flights on 31 Aug and Sept 5 and 24, but hopefully all will be resolved by then.

Having been raised in an airline family (father a pilot, step-mother a FA), I can't help but empathize with the employees especially when you see how much management pays itself.
flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex
A fair rant but it was BA taking BALPA to court.
Indeed it was.

That’s either a genuinely innocent typo on the part of rockerflyertalk. Or he’s been reading fake news

I suspect the former, based on the general tone of his post.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:48 am

Apologies yes. A silly typo whilst I thought I was on a roll.

About to hit the beers so I think I’ll stop with typing from here on in.

Edit: No Donald Trump is not involved, therefore any mention of fake news is indeed fake news in itself.
wrp96, subject2load and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by manymany
Have been stressing all day, have 3 flights on 17th! Looks like I should be ok now.
Originally Posted by gengar
Excellent (selfishly, as I have a flight 19 Aug)!
Originally Posted by malkie
Selfish delight from me too; flying family out on two PNRs on the 16th
Originally Posted by mwalsh
Also flying 19 Aug. Phew. Load off, even if some extra time in Norway would have been fun too.
My family and I are flying next week and return on the 19th (USofA-LHR-USofA) - seems like a sigh of relief (for now) as my kids are already going to be missing a couple of days of school.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mwalsh
However, the two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks are expected to continue into the week of August 5th.
Do they have face to face discussions, and if so what do they have to talk about that is taking so long?

Is it just a case that neither side wants to be the ones that say this is going nowhere so there's no point meeting again.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:44 pm
McG

Originally Posted by Agent69
Do they have face to face discussions, and if so what do they have to talk about that is taking so long?
This explains what ACAS does.

https://m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2012

From reading about previous disputes in the press (not involving BA), the parties are sometimes in different rooms with ACAS liaising between them.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:04 pm

Clearly the talks have made progress, otherwise it would be bruvvers out and all go home.

Lets hope further talks next week lead to a satisfactory solution.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Custardthecat
I am a customer, having paid a large amount of money for flights, caught in the middle of it all and have exercised my own opinion in this 'free forum'.
So am I; in fact given the number of bookings my family and I have in the 'sensitive' period, I’d bet almost anything that on paper, i am far more likely to be negatively affected by the strikes than you.

Yet, I do not appreciate attempts to cast suspicion on those who feel either that the pilots have a point, or at any rate that entering a strike is their right and a decision they must have taken with a heavy heart. I find the suggestion that somehow those people must have ulterior motives both inelegant and unnecessary (and needless to say, absurd).

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 2, 2019 at 2:21 pm
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Agent69

Is it just a case that neither side wants to be the ones that say this is going nowhere so there's no point meeting again.
I have no specific insight into this dispute. But bear in mind that the issues are complicated. They involve pay over a number of years as well as the share scheme. Different groups of pilots will be impacted in different ways by any offer.

If the company makes any revised offer BALPA will want to understand the details and undoubtably there will be points that need clarifying. Only when that’s happened will union negotiators begin to form a view on whether there has been sufficient progress to put something back to the members to vote on. In the process of doing that they will probably want to take soundings or even formally consult the wider group of union reps from the company.

If they do decide that there has been substantial enough change to put it back to their members they will also then need to decide if they recommend if the members accept the offer or not. Normally only when all those things have happened would they go public.

Some or none of that may be happening at the moment. I expect that only a small number of people in BA and BALPA know currently.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Jerseylily2
As someone very anxious and feeling sick with worry about my upcoming flights could I request that we stick to discussing strike dates and mitigation of consequences?

I am coming to this thread regularly to get ahead of any news but increasingly having to wade through bickering.

​​​​​
Hi, I would suggest always going to the first page of the wiki as that is being updated with facts. If you still don’t find the answer to your question, you can always post a reply (does not need to quote a previous message) asking for your specific info and someone will come along and respond.

Hope your travels are not disrupted too much.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.