Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
Chatting to cabin crew on an outbound flight 2 days ago, they said that some of their colleagues will really suffer financially if the strike goes ahead. Part of cabin crew package is a component for hours flown and the strikes could impact this heavily depending on their rota.
The pilots should have borne this in mind before voting for the strike. Now they have to assume.
mhy likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by paulaf
Here's the statement from BALPA

Release date: 05/09/2019

The British Airline Pilots Association says it could call off proposed strikes set for 9th and 10th September if British Airways agrees to come back to the negotiating table.The pilots’ union has put forward a new proposal in a letter to BA CEO Alex Cruz in a bid to come to a deal with the company.

The strikes, voted in favour by 93% of BALPA’s BA members, could still go ahead if the airline continues to refuse meaningful discussions.

BALPA General Secretary, Brian Strutton, said:

“Our members’ resolve is very strong and they remain very angry with BA, but they also want to leave no stone unturned in trying to find a resolution to their dispute.

“Avoiding strike action and agreeing a deal with their pilots surely must be the desired outcome for British Airways.

“We urge BA to join us to discuss the new proposal – which shows pilots are willing to be flexible but still stand united in getting a better deal.”
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Is BA really going to reinstate the cancelled flights, at massive expense, after moving everyone? The environmental lobby will crucify them.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Raffles
Is BA really going to reinstate the cancelled flights, at massive expense, after moving everyone?
It's happened before when strikes have been called off at short notice. There are many other constituencies within the company that might value the chance to work normally if the pilots are not on strike.

This thread - Surprisingly, a positive experience from the strike - reminded me of an occasion when I picked up a dirt cheap day trip ticket the day before the day of the cancelled strike to pop over to AMS to have lunch with a friend.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Fingers crossed!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...esh-talks.html
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Keep tossing the coin. Head - passengers lose, Tail - passengers lose. Whether the strike is called off or not, the Pilots, BA and Passengers all lose.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
According to the BBC web site BA have said they will attend talks without precondition, but that they think the latest BALPA proposal is taking the p*ss.

I assume that BA have already incurred the cost of rebooking people they think will be affected, so I wonder what incentive there is for them to meet before the first round of strikes.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:25 am

Question

2 questions -
1. Does the recent news re the strikes on 9 and 10 September being called off mean that the strikes as a whole will be called off (ie that pilots will no longer be on strike) or does it just mean that the 9 and 10 strikes specifically will not go ahead?
2. I am flying BA on 3 October and am really hoping that the strikes are over by then - based on your experience do you think it will be still ongoing?

Edit - just seen BA rejected whatever BALPA offered today. How long does it usually take for airline strikes to be resolved!?

Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Agent69
I assume that BA have already incurred the cost of rebooking people they think will be affected, so I wonder what incentive there is for them to meet before the first round of strikes.
Public perception
lhrpete and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lucyjane
2 questions -
1. Does the recent news re the strikes on 9 and 10 September being called off mean that the strikes as a whole will be called off (ie that pilots will no longer be on strike) or does it just mean that the 9 and 10 strikes specifically will not go ahead?
2. I am flying BA on 3 October and am really hoping that the strikes are over by then - based on your experience do you think it will be still ongoing?

Thanks!
1. i don't think there has been any announcement the strikes on 9/10 September are being cancelled - just the offer from BALPA that they would be prepared to do so if BA came back to the table, albeit BA's initial response has not been positive
2. the next date announced is 27 september. no further dates are announced. a strike on 27 september should not impact flights on 3 october, but it is impossible to say at this stage whether this dispute will go in to october or whether there will be further strike dates in october
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:54 am

This is what is says on the BBC :

In response, BA said: "We do not believe the union is acting in good faith by making an 11th-hour inflated proposal which would cost an additional £50m"

I thought the strikes cost £40m/day so this offer roughly costs the same as the cost for the strike on 27th September, but its unclear if the £50m is a one off cost or yearly.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by paulaf
This is what is says on the BBC :

In response, BA said: "We do not believe the union is acting in good faith by making an 11th-hour inflated proposal which would cost an additional £50m"

I thought the strikes cost £40m/day so this offer roughly costs the same as the cost for the strike on 27th September, but its unclear if the £50m is a one off cost or yearly.
Here’s the link:

“BA strike still on after airline rejects union proposal”: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49591792
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:00 am

Just to be clear, none of the strikes have been called off yet.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by rapidex
Just to be clear, none of the strikes have been called off yet.
It will be an environmental PR disaster for BA if they reinstate flights which will, literally, be going out 95% empty. They would be mad to do it.

It would only work if they did a 'fly for £1' promo where suddenly every seat was offered for £1.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:32 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by Raffles
It would only work if they did a 'fly for £1' promo where suddenly every seat was offered for £1.
Don't you think that would drive the environmental lobby even more crazy? Promoting cheap flying in a week where Extinction Rebellion are still threatening to cause chaos at LHR next Friday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.