Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ba website says no direct OW flights DUB-HKG!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3

I often fly with CX direct from DUB to HKG using the ba website.
Today I have checked many dates over the next few months and every search says 'No direct flights available'. Usually the message shows that that ba don't fly direct, then their connecting options, followed by the CX flights.
The CX site shows the one that I always take.
Any suggestions?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Stormbel
Any suggestions?
Try CathayPacific.com?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:24 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Are you looking for revenue or redemption availability?

Given BA has stopped selling flights by phone for itineraries which are not at least mostly BA coded, it seems perfectly possible to me that they have also withdrawn the ability to book on ba.com for a CX flight.

Did you previously book under a BA codeshare? Could this also have been removed given it isn't really a logical route to maintain it on?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jun 9, 2019 at 10:30 am
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

As I mentioned CX site does show the flights.
The booking is for revenue seats.
Is a OW airline not supposed to show OW options? Surely we are entitled to earn avios if the route is available or have I missed something?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
You can still earn avios and tier points if you book the flight directly with CX... Why do you want to use BA.com?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Is a OW airline not supposed to show OW options? Surely we are entitled to earn avios if the route is available or have I missed something?
You will get the TPs and Avios, whether booked on Cathay or BA. If booked under a BA codeshare (if one exists, I haven't checked) then you would get higher Avios, but you would still get a decent allocation on Avios on Cathay. Tier Points should be the same. The BAEC calculator on BA.com will show the precise details but you don't need to use BA.com to book Avios earning tickets. Ditto in the rest of oneworld travel. You would get more TPs if you went DUB-LHR-HKG. Even more if you did DUB-LHR-DME-HKG or similar.

BA won't sell a mainly Cathay ticket, but that shouldn't get in your way, Cathay equally won't sell you a mainly BA service either, but both would qualify for frequent flyer points, be they BA or CX.
Stormbel likes this.
Original Poster

This was as much a query as to why things have changed as much as anything else. I thought that all OW airlines could book for other OW airlines.
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
An alliance merely reciprocates with common benefits in some areas. An individual airline doesn't have to sell any flights it doesn't want to.

So, BA can show whatever it wants, you'd expect it to promote its own flights ahead of everyone else's, and indeed not advertise alternatives unless there was some money in it (i.e. it was sold under the codeshare number).

If you were previously booking on ba.com under the CX code, then you will get exactly the same TPs and Avios if you book it on Cathay's website. The only reason you'd get more Avois is if you could book under a BA codeshare number.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Is a OW airline not supposed to show OW options?
No. Ba will sell you itineraries involving ba flights (either only or sometimes in combination with other ow or even non-ow airlines). Cx wouldn’t sell you a pure ba itinerary either.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:49 am

As I mentioned CX site does show the flights.
The reason being Oneworld it is a marketing alliance which brings a range of services and benefits together accross the alliance members. Including mileage earning.
However this doesn't extend to alliance bookings. Otherwise there would be a centralised site at Oneworld.com - which there isn't. All you need to understand is each airline operates to their own agenda and competes for their own business. So with this in mind BA has as much interest in Cathay Pacific as Cathay Pacific do in BA. They aren't joint venture partners on the DUB-HKG route so therefor don't advertise each others services. Joint venture partners such as BA/AA/IB/AY on transatlantic routes are very much in these airlines interest to be featured and promoted so search DUB-PHL on BA.com for example and you'll likely see direct AA service as well and options via LHR and MAD being promoted within the confines of the joint venture, not under any pretence that they're showing because they're Oneworld members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.