Wiki Posts
Search

Bars open on the ground

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Bars open on the ground

Here’s something I don’t think I’ve ever experienced on BA before. Preparing to depart on the late flight from MUC to LHR - already delayed by 40 mins or so - the pilot appears at the front delivering the disappointing news that our slot has been pushed back and we’re facing another 80 mins at the gate.

In my experience, this usually means you get a hot towel and a glass of water if you’re lucky but to my great surprise the CSM (sorry if that’s the wrong term) popped up 5 minutes later and announced she was opening the bars: buy on board for ET and free for CE.

Very nice gesture, I think, and much appreciated as I sit sipping a G+T.

But honestly, I was not aware that the cabin crew even had the discretion to do this.

As I type, the pilot has announced that the slot has come forward. They are now furiously tidying everything away... so I must stop typing and start chugging.

TravelManBiz likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If customs in that country allow this then there is nothing wrong with doing this other than the problem they are currently experiencing when the slot comes forward.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I’ve had a Bloody Mary on the ground at EDI due to ATC restrictions.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Flew CE KRK to LHR and had 60m delay. Got two rounds in
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
No “duty-free” within the EU. Isn’t the duty liability the reason bars can’t be opened ok the ground rather than any operational or safety reason? It’s why the sometimes/often run out of pre-departure bubbles.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
A practical question. The doors are closed, who, how, why would customs (need to) know, that on single occasions the "bar" would have been opened on the ground??
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:23 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
A practical question. The doors are closed, who, how, why would customs (need to) know, that on single occasions the "bar" would have been opened on the ground??
Probably wouldn’t unless there are regular customs officers reading FT

S
nancypants and HIDDY like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nilsfr69
If you are an airport where that country’s law does not allow the bars to be opened then there is always a chance that the aircraft could get a technical delay and possibly be cancelled. The paperwork completed by the crew will have the original seal numbers written on it which won’t match the new ones and if customs board the aircraft to check BA would be fined for breaching the customs regulations.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
And you just know that the German customs officers would check and find out.

That MUC flight is always late in my experience.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
No “duty-free” within the EU. Isn’t the duty liability the reason bars can’t be opened ok the ground rather than any operational or safety reason? It’s why the sometimes/often run out of pre-departure bubbles.
Yes that’s my understanding - so on intra EU flights such as MUC-LHR presumably the bars are all duty paid and can be opened. If the flight had been from a third country to the UK (ie a non EU member state / member of the common customs area) then the bars would be duty free so could not be opened on the ground [without paying the tax]. The PDB bar is duty paid, hence why you can have champagne. That’s how I understand it, anyway.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
We got nothing on a 4 hour delay a few weeks ago on LHR to PHL.... many passengers asked.. they kept saying something about taxes and waiting for approval..
which of course I understood as...' we are not going to pay the taxes so you lot can have a few rounds...'
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Whereas a week ago (1 June) on the BA NRT-LHR service we were served on the ground a full bar service, lunch, wine etc., doors open all the time.

Doc Copper
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were you kept onboard for 4 hours, surely not?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Whereas a week ago (1 June) on the BA NRT-LHR service we were served on the ground a full bar service, lunch, wine etc., doors open all the time.

Doc Copper
Japan must allow this then, carrying any service on the ground has to be completed using using certain safely regulations re aisle and door access.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Were you kept onboard for 4 hours, surely not?
Surely yes. I jumped ship after about 4h - otherwise I would not have been able to get back to the UK. As far as I am aware it was approximately one hour later (5 hours total) that passengers were allowed off.

Doc Copper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.