Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A sad day for a leisure traveller.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thankfully, the times I've acquired airline or hotel status I didn't have the slightest desire to maintain it. So losing it never affected me.
SKT-DK, Stez, TedToToe and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Dropped to bronze recently, but in the transition booked 2 x BA short breaks to get my 4 BA flights in asap while still having silver benefits. Also booked 2 TATL so will now re-qualify for silver till March 2021. Not missed out on choosing seats immediately or lounge access.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Everyone here will one day be faced with the same thing. Unless there are those who will be Lifetime Gold, the majority of us will sink into obscurity.
Bulletin: obscurity is not so bad, and comes with more freedoms and fewer illusions. I have never been more than Blue here, but for 25 years I had all sorts of precious metal with half a dozen other network carriers. When it all falls away one day, you may see there was an emperor's-new-clothes aspect to the status derby all along.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Thankfully, the times I've acquired airline or hotel status I didn't have the slightest desire to maintain it. So losing it never affected me.
Likewise we’ve had, briefly, assorted hotel status Now we almost exclusively use privately-owned hotels, so we’re ‘status expired’ with all of them.

I really should start to think about private jets, and stop worrying about airline status altogether!
Cris L, SKT-DK, HIDDY and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I will lose Gold next year and I am already enjoying the freedom of not chasing tier Points etc.

Yes I will miss it but hey ho, it was nice while it lasted.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, Amex Plat, Hertz 5 Star, Global Entry
Will be dropping to Bronze come September after 4 years of Silver, not sure if I will go chasing the TPs, life has changed a bit in the past few years with less premium travel.

Considering Priority Pass (on its own or bundled with Amex Plat)
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

One day we will all be Blue...….literally

I'm enjoying being Gold, now in year 2 but will drop to Silver come the start of the year but I'm hopefully going to bet back up there with almost 2 years worth after that all going to plan.

As Stez has said the bigger drop is Silver to Bronze and Silver isn't overall that hard to maintain really for many and of course still comes with free seating, lounge access etc.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Currently Gold, but we might not earn a single tier point this year, so will drop to Silver.

At least I could book 1A and 1K both ways on an award flight next year to Miami

I suppose the only frustration will not being able to use the first class check-in if flying from Terminal 5 - apart from that Silver will not make a massive difference as we always fly at least business even to Europe.

It may be that next year we can get a few flights in to get back to Gold, who knows.....

I suspect we will try and keep at least Silver - but eventually even that will slip back to Bronze.

As we only fly for pleasure, from our own pocket, we tend to use money rather than points because of the race to get to Silver, Gold etc. especially when good deals come around. Does status help us? Probably not, except when booking seats at the time of booking. That is the one benefit I would not like to lose.
sunshinebob and Sealink like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GentleGiant

As we only fly for pleasure, from our own pocket, we tend to use money rather than points because of the race to get to Silver, Gold etc. especially when good deals come around. Does status help us? Probably not, except when booking seats at the time of booking. That is the one benefit I would not like to lose.
To have this benefit at any time all you have to do is fly literally any network carrier in the world other than BA. It may be hard to do if based in the UK, but no other carrier in the world charges passengers in biz class to select seats.
BearX220, choosethedrew and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by BearX220
Bulletin: obscurity is not so bad, and comes with more freedoms and fewer illusions. I have never been more than Blue here, but for 25 years I had all sorts of precious metal with half a dozen other network carriers. When it all falls away one day, you may see there was an emperor's-new-clothes aspect to the status derby all along.
Oh so true !

Reminds me , a few years ago traveling J on BA, transiting, waiting in a longish security line....saw an Ex CEO of the Big 3 domestic car mfgr. Knew him, walked up chatted...you could clearly see the chagrin on his face at being recognized standing with us all folks whereas his travels used to be on company jets even on vacation ! The fall from status hurts but is not intolerable
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:05 pm

I went from earning over 3500 Tier points a year (Gold), to zero last year (down to Silver) and now as of the other day down to Bronze. Fuel surcharges are one of the main reason.

When I can fly Qsuites, with superior service, to PEN or MLE from the US for under $2500 or fly BA in CW for more $ and thousands upon thousands of Avios, it's not even close.

I'll save my Avios for renting my cars in Germany where I can get an E class for 2 weeks for around 60k Avios.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Zebradome
Mr Zebradome and I are flying to London tonight as Silvers and coming back on Sunday as bronze :-(

We have only accumulated 30 tier points each this year due to using up lots of Avios plus one 2-4-1. We've been to the Caribbean, Florida and London twice for taxes only and we've also used a fair few hotel points for free stays so can't really complain.

We managed 2 consecutive years at Silver and have enough travel booked after 8th June to regain Silver around February. Obviously we've been able to select our seats, and the class of travel means we'll have lounge access while we are bronze. We'll miss the second bag on economy trips.

Does this seesaw happen to other FTers who travel on their own dollar? How do you cope?
I simply make sure to fly enough to retain AA EXP/OW Emerald. No seesaw! Haha
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by PETER01
One day we will all be Blue...….literally
Indeed, even lifetime Golds and GGLs, because it's after all not eternal - just a lifetime.

I personally will be easily Gold for a few years to come. Will see over time do I stay with BAEC or move to another OW FFP or even switch alliance. That's the way it has been so far. Nothing is ever eternal as a frequent flyer. However I'm almost mortified how my leisure travel for the just-about-to-start new membership year of mine will already with the current bookings be over 2600 TPs. No, I'm not going to be "Bisonrav II."

I'm in for a 1st world problem: what in the name of some deity am I going to do with my upcoming GUF2? Upgrade my second ego? Take some FT'er hostage to fly with me?
Crampedin13A and PETER01 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I have to pay to get what I want.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I'm on an upward slope and will make gold this year knowing hard to maintain as based out of Mexico and my work travel has dropped off for now. I'm sure I can do enough for silver each year moving forward. Hard to say how I'll feel when it's gone one day.

As for hotels, I have no interest. I'm almost exclusively Airbnb now. Stayed in Airbnb apartments or houses in Japan, USA, Argentina, Chile, Spain, Italy, Poland etc etc. Much prefer that. Each to their own.

Just make the most of what you have. When I didn't have status I enjoyed seeking out the best value beer in an airport.
PETER01, Sealink and Fatdickie like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.