Wiki Posts
Search

A little help using ba avios

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
A little help using ba avios

So I’m looking at business class flights using ba avios btwn lax to Rabat one way - ba site has 18 Jan 2020 lax - lhr ba 0282 arrival on 19 jan then from Lgw - Rabat 2666. Not even close to sure how to make that connection btwn airports w/ luggage etc.
however, on 19 Jan 2020, American Airlines shows choice of lax -ord 1598 (AA), ord-mad IB6274,mad-raK IB3340 .... as a business saver 75k
the american, Iberia is my preference.,, can I call ba and ask them to book the american/Iberia flights with avios points?
I am always confused on this ability to use other one world sites for award avail for avios.

sorry in advance if this is stupid question. I’m not a frequent international traveler, but have gotten some really nice award seats , mostly through American airlines, but with credit card bonuses now have a bunch of BA avios and trying to maximize.

thanks for any guidance.

Last edited by happytravelskh; Jun 5, 2019 at 12:14 am
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happytravelskh
So I’m looking at business class flights using BA avios btwn LAX to Rabat one way - BA site has 18 Jan 2020 LAX - LHR BA 0282 arrival on 19 Jan then from LGW - Rabat 2666. Not even close to sure how to make that connection btwn airports w/ luggage etc.
<snip>
You need to make you own way from LHR to LGW with your bags. Bus/coach is the simplest.
BA thread-->Heathrow to Gatwick transport options: a pictorial guide

So a good reason to go with IB, if other considerations are the same
Using BA avios you book via the BA web site or phone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabat%...%C3%A9_Airport

Great Circle Mapper
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for quick reply... I couldn’t get the IB choice on the BA website. It was on the American Airlines website. Does that mean I call BA and let them know there is this one world availability business reward on American Airlines site for AA/IB but not on BA website and I’d like to book using avios? Is the mileage/ avios points (and fees) used the same as those listed on the american site (75k miles on american)? Likely not on BA site bc not direct flights.
This is what I’m confused about, having only read about this, never having done it.
Not sure if I’m asking the right question.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Thanks for quick reply... I couldn’t get the IB choice on the BA website. It was on the American Airlines website. Does that mean I call BA and let them know there is this one world availability business reward on American Airlines site for AA/IB but not on BA website and I’d like to book using avios? Is the mileage/ avios points (and fees) used the same as those listed on the american site (75k miles on american)? Likely not on BA site bc not direct flights.
This is what I’m confused about, having only read about this, never having done it.
Not sure if I’m asking the right question.
The BA site won't show more than one connection, as far as I am aware - you'd need to ring up to book. For BA to book it though, you would need it to be sAAver space on the AA flight[s] - I don't know if AA.com combines AAnytime with partner flights at the higher price point so can't be sure if you itinerary is bookable by BAEC. You might be able to check segment-by-segment - but that might get locked out by any married sector availability issues [though I don't think it would for AA-IB-IB].
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:52 am
Original Poster

It is a miles saver space.... so would it be for 75k avios also? And same taxes as on aa.com?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:00 am

It is a miles saver space.... so would it be for 75k avios also? And same taxes as on aa.com?
No, BA charges by segment - so add up the miles cost of LAX-ORD, ORD-MAD and MAD-RAK [which brings me to the fact that you said you want to go to Rabat but you're using the code for Marrakech...?].

Taxes and surcharges are almost certainly higher on BA - they are regularly pilloried around here for their high surcharges, and unfortunately they also actually charge them on some other airlines which would otherwise waive/lower them for award travel. You should be able to estimate this if you can price a cash ticket on ITA Matrix - then just subtract the actual fare.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by etiene
No, BA charges by segment - so add up the miles cost of LAX-ORD, ORD-MAD and MAD-RAK [which brings me to the fact that you said you want to go to Rabat but you're using the code for Marrakech...?].

Taxes and surcharges are almost certainly higher on BA - they are regularly pilloried around here for their high surcharges, and unfortunately they also actually charge them on some other airlines which would otherwise waive/lower them for award travel. You should be able to estimate this if you can price a cash ticket on ITA Matrix - then just subtract the actual fare.
The OP would almost certainly pay lower carrier surcharges if he redeemed IB Plus Avios rather than BAEC Avios for this particular itinerary. But booking the one-way segment on AA with IB Plus Avios might be tricky -- and IB is currently unable to book award flights on AA.

If the OP has an IB Plus account that has been open for at least 90 days and has at least one earned Avios, then he should be able to transfer Avios from BAEC to IB Plus, and vice versa.

The OP might book the AA segment with BA Avios, and the IB segments with IB Plus Avios. If there will be checked baggage, the OP would have to claim them at ORD, and re-check them with IB, as AA policy is not to through-check bags on separate tickets.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by etiene
Not on an award itinerary involving two or more BA partners. For that, BA's multi-partner award chart would kick in:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_us

(120K BA Avios + carrier charges and taxes for the OP's proposed itinerary in Business Class.)
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:33 pm

Small query - if you're wanting to get to Rabat, why are you checking availability for RAK (Marrakesh) which is nowhere near?

Nearest oneworld destination to Rabat would be Casablanca (CMN) which is served by Iberia to/from Madrid.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Not on an award itinerary involving two or more BA partners. For that, BA's multi-partner award chart would kick in:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_us

(120K BA Avios + carrier charges and taxes for the OP's proposed itinerary in Business Class.)
Good point - failed to twig that. This is a bit of a waste of the multi-partner awards if OP is only doing one way - or looked at another way: the return would only cost another 60K. Finding a longer segment than ORD-MAD on the return to fly in Y [daytime, Westbound] would bring the whole thing down to 90k too.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

I screwed up in saying Rabat... Marrakech was what I was looking at. Couldn’t find flights into Casablanca, but maybe not looking at correct way. I usually look at a lot of these flights one way bc often more flexibility and less miles, but it seems in this case, you all seem to be saying i would do better roundtrip? Lax-rak? 19 Jan - 1 feb?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:01 am

I screwed up in saying Rabat... Marrakech was what I was looking at. Couldn’t find flights into Casablanca, but maybe not looking at correct way. I usually look at a lot of these flights one way bc often more flexibility and less miles, but it seems in this case, you all seem to be saying i would do better roundtrip? Lax-rak? 19 Jan - 1 feb?
For this particular itinerary, yes: involving two [or more] partners puts you on the multi-partner award chart which is mileage based. The mileage bands are such that short trips are generally expensive, but longer trips can be worthwhile. It also means that you can effectively include more flights for zero extra Avios to "max out" your award.

In your particular case the is ~6,600 miles which is not close to one of the bands. You would pay for 9,000 miles of flying [120k Avios] - so you could add any extra flights [up to 8 total] totalling 2,300 miles or so and pay just the extra taxes/fees/surcharges. On the other hand, just turning round and doing the return is in the 14,000 mile band - so would only cost 180k Avios.

I suggest having a good read of that thread before proceeding.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Ok... did a little more flight research using qantas and changed dates a little - and found following flights that are ba/Ib combo, so only one partner... used reward flight calculator as much as I could on ba site to convert to avios. Little glitch trying to find the 3 segments bc site kept saying nothing btwn lhr/Rak.
here’s what I found RT
12 feb 20: AA 2431 lax-ord, ba294 ord-lhr, ba 668 lhr-rak. This would be an off-peak day... would it still be 79.5k avios and $687 taxes fees
25 feb 20: Ib 3340 rak-mad, ib 3170 mad-lhr 26 feb, ba 281 lhr -lax; Off- peak day again so looking like 79.5 k avios with lesser fees at $353.

have I done this correctly?

thanks again for double checking my searches
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok... did a little more flight research using qantas and changed dates a little - and found following flights that are ba/Ib combo, so only one partner... used reward flight calculator as much as I could on ba site to convert to avios. Little glitch trying to find the 3 segments bc site kept saying nothing btwn lhr/Rak.
here’s what I found RT
12 feb 20: AA 2431 lax-ord, ba294 ord-lhr, ba 668 lhr-rak. This would be an off-peak day... would it still be 79.5k avios and $687 taxes fees
25 feb 20: Ib 3340 rak-mad, ib 3170 mad-lhr 26 feb, ba 281 lhr -lax; Off- peak day again so looking like 79.5 k avios with lesser fees at $353.

have I done this correctly?

thanks again for double checking my searches
What's your reluctance to transfer Avios from BA to IB? Your travel is not until January of next year.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Messed up in reply ... see below please.

Last edited by happytravelskh; Jun 9, 2019 at 2:45 pm Reason: Incorrectly posting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.