Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using Avios at Airport to Upgrade - Trial 03-30 June 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Avios at Airport to Upgrade - Trial 03-30 June 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Will100

Thats how I read it too.

The rates seem very high (they may be, but so are AUP usually looking at that thread) but if there is no tax to pay on top they may not be as bad as they first seem.

The difference between WTP and J is a lot tax wise so simply comparing to the redemption chart is misleading.
Taking the last post from the AUP thread:

WT>WTP £381
WT>CW £1095

If we assume an exchange rate of 0.5p per Avios then this gives (rounding up) 80000 Avios to WTP and 220000 Avios to CW which seems inline with what people have seen?

EDIT: yes the prices are absurd!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Surely this is not aimed at the savvy traveller.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Surely this is not aimed at the savvy traveller.
It may be aimed at those who regularly complain that they are Avios rich but are unable to spend Avios because they have to travel on particular days (due to school holidays etc.).
Sealink and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Here is the desk where these UuA-AUPs can take place, the screen says "Avios Upgrade".

H16 is the last desk of the Club World / Sapphire check-in area, and the nearest to the entrance of the First Wing at the South end. There wasn't any such signage in the First Wing that I could see. Unfortunately this was rather early this morning, before the service opened up, so I was unable to enquire more (e.g. if the ticketing ends up in the main AUP buckets).
TTmex likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Will100

I assume this is why Raffles has quoted some quote toppy pricing, must include taxes uplift too.

Probably will suit some
yep, looks that way. Let's see how it develops
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I was in transit on Sunday morning and, while in the First lounge, asked about upgrading from Club to First on LHR-Haneda. In spite of valiant effort by customer service desk in the lounge to make this happen, they were told that upgrades were only available in person landslde at H16. I didn’t even get as far as a quote for number of Avios to upgrade....
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
The guy i travelled with yesterday was quoted 60k for WT to WTP upgrade on a LHR-ORD. WT to CW was 120k.
Mental!
Yea that was the case (I'm this guy), seems absolutely insane and was told that it was purely based of the number of points that cover the cash value of the upgrade. They also can't even process these upgrades themselves and have to call the Avios offices to almost process like a redemption of avios for cash (that's why it is only being tested M-F during business hours).

They did have a member of staff there taking comments down and I mentioned (and I believe I'm right in saying this) that literally no one who is in any way savvy with Avios will EVER use their points to upgrade this way. I also made a point of pointing out that 60k points from WT to WTP was more expensive than just a simple CW award ticket.
msm2000uk, nufnuf77 and ubiest like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by peter.r.erskine
I also made a point of pointing out that 60k points from WT to WTP was more expensive than just a simple CW award ticket.
That's not quite a fair comparison, though. The at-airport upgrade was available to you even if a conventional award seat wasn't. So the theoretical price of a seat that you can't buy isn't really comparable to the price of a seat that you can buy.

Of course, that doesn't mean that 60k Avios was good value for what you were being offered. Everyone will have their perception of what they're prepared to splash out. But in theory, if you have a couple of million Avios that you find very hard to use and you're about to board a 788 in Y ...
Stez, T8191, mikeyfly and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Extortionate Amount - live from LHR

Currently at LHR, booked on a flight to Washington. To move from WT to WT+ was 70,000 EACH and WT to CW was 120,000 EACH!

Even the really nice person at the desk said, “this is far too much I can’t understand why”. For info, a standard WT redemption is about 30,000 return.

Madness.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by OftenLost99
Currently at LHR, booked on a flight to Washington. To move from WT to WT+ was 70,000 EACH and WT to CW was 120,000 EACH!

Even the really nice person at the desk said, “this is far too much I can’t understand why”. For info, a standard WT redemption is about 30,000 return.

Madness.
Why couldn't he understand why? It is £350 / £600, the walk-up rate he presumably charges people all the time, x 0.5p per Avios.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
So how are BA going to judge the success of the trial?

Looking at the number of people that have actually upgraded, the amount of Avios they've managed to take?

Hopefully they'll look at the low uptake and realise that the amount they're trying to charge is a little excessive.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:00 am

By looking at the number of people they have frightened off, and say no one was interested. Trial canceled.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
It would be interesting to see what price (p/Avios) people here would be willing to pay to use Avios to upgrade.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
It would be interesting to see what price (p/Avios) people here would be willing to pay to use Avios to upgrade.
Exactly half what BA is charging.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BA GGL
Really positive news in general. However!

1. It does concern me regarding catering - because BA can barely cover that for existing loads.

2. The cost not being in-line with other Avios upgrades just seems an oddity. Why not just leave an Avios seat open until the day or departure, then permit in-person upgrades last second if it's still there?

Hopefully they'll see the necessary feedback in the four-week trial to get it right. Because in the future this could be very useful, just as it is with Virgin Atlantic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.