Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using Avios at Airport to Upgrade - Trial 03-30 June 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Avios at Airport to Upgrade - Trial 03-30 June 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2022, 12:13 am

Is this still a thing? I have a upcoming BA flight on AA ticket stock. So I cant upgrade in advance.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 11:54 am

Can you still upgrade with avios at the airport? I have a ticket paid for with avios but there’s been no availability to upgrade online.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's not something I would do, given the truly terrible implied exchange rate, but the signs are still up for it in T5. Essentially if you look at the AUP thread to see the cash cost, then make it about 0.5p or 0.6p per Avios, that will be the approximate cost in Avios. They have to make at least 2 phone calls to make the booking and I think that means that if the flight is early in the morning or very late at night then it may not be possible to contact the BAEC team that can confirm and then process the Avios transaction.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ICPUI
Is this still a thing? I have a upcoming BA flight on AA ticket stock. So I cant upgrade in advance.
You can’t upgrade any ticket on AA 001 stock with avios, at the airport or otherwise. Best (only) option is cash at check in. AA call it an LFBU, equivalent to BA’s AUP.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RichieMc
You can’t upgrade any ticket on AA 001 stock with avios, at the airport or otherwise. Best (only) option is cash at check in. AA call it an LFBU, equivalent to BA’s AUP.
Are you certain about that? It's not a redemption ticket, it's an AUP paid via a humungous amount of Avios. In other words BA simply charges Avios for the ticket instead of sterling.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Are you certain about that? It's not a redemption ticket, it's an AUP paid via a humungous amount of Avios. In other words BA simply charges Avios for the ticket instead of sterling.
Fair point. I’m not certain of it to the point that I would bet my life on it. I’ve obviously never tried to. But seems like the admin would be complicated being on an AA ticket. Just can’t imagine the system would be capable of processing it. I guess the OP can give it a go and report back here.
ICPUI likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.