Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USB Type C points on BA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
USB Type C points on BA

Does anyone know if the new A350s, 7810s and/or the remaining neos will come with USB Type C charging points? Or will the lounge re-fit program start providing for them?

Having been a little miffed when my new iPad arrived with one of these, I have since been impressed by their capabilities (not least on the fast charging front).
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Does anyone know if the new A350s, 7810s and/or the remaining neos will come with USB Type C charging points? Or will the lounge re-fit program start providing for them?

Having been a little miffed when my new iPad arrived with one of these, I have since been impressed by their capabilities (not least on the fast charging front).
No chance.

Just carry an A to C cable
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red
I'm confused. Isn't the Type C for the device with a standard USB plug at the other end? Or has the future moved on without me, again?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Sealink
I'm confused. Isn't the Type C for the device with a standard USB plug at the other end? Or has the future moved on without me, again?
Type C is the "new" reversible connector, and it's common to have a cable with USB-C on both ends these days.

Type A is the standard USB you are used to that every plane, lounge, train and virtually everything have on it.
As another said, you'll have to carry an A - C converter for the next decade or so.
BA or bust, RJD1983 and Sealink like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: Yes
Part of the problem is that “USB-C” is really just the connector, and there’s a whole raft of things you can do with it. For an iPad, I suspect a USB-A to USB-C cable will suffice. But if there were actual USB-C ports on planes, then people might conceivably expect to be able to charge their MacBook as well for example, or any of the other laptops with USB-C, which use USB-PD over USB-C to draw 45W or even 65W. Getting that to every seat is far less trivial then the usual 5W or 10W for mobile devices and tablets. There was an interesting Runway Girl article on that, which seems to be the go-to place for everything “Tech” on airplanes. There does not seem to be a real solution on that front yet, but ultimately I think we can expect the traditional power sockets disappear for USB-C - but that is a looong way off. We all know that airplane tech moves at a glacial pace (Empower or Composite Video anyone)?.

A bit like old 30-pin iPod connectors on a whole range of alarm clocks in “luxury” hotels, still all going strong!
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Whilst our friends at QR plan to have USB-C in their new Y seats (source: https://samchui.com/2019/03/25/qatar.../#.XPJVWZNKhL4), I think it'll still take BA at least a few years.

One of the things I like is the fast charging, but when you're on a longhaul flight, this is not usually an issue (for me anyway).
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I would just treat the iPad as if it’s a laptop - use the three-pin AC socket to charge it just like you would at home
Paren likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Apple have embraced USB-C in a big way. My MacBookPro has 4 of them and nothing else. It’s great at the office as a single USB-C cable does video, audio, data and power (via a USB-C hub). It’s a total pain in the backside on the move, if you forget the adaptor/dock.
The iPads have already gone USB-C and so have most high-end android phones. Once the iPhone gets USB-C, I think it will become ubiquitous pretty quickly. On the move a USB-A to USB-C is going to be necessary for a long time - no different to USB-A to Lightening/Mini-UUSB/Micro-USB today, I suppose.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
The problem is that Apple's new generation of fast chargers use USB-C to USB-C cables, although you can buy a USB-C to Lighting cable as well, so your iPad charger can fast charge your iPhone.

I have managed to find some adapters which enable you to convert a USB socket into a USB-C socket. They are about £3 each on Amazon and mean the number of cables needed can be reduced.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Why not just use a plug? Anker makes USB-C plugs the same size as the standard iPhone USB plug, all at 30W. (PowerPort Atom PD 1)

Plus if you use an A to C convertor, you will be charging at extremely slow 2.4W.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I carry adaptors for USB-C, micro USB, mini USB (Phillips Diamond Clean toothbrush, you are guilty of still using that...) and Lightning, and USB-C PD + USB-A charging unit.

The adaptors with a hole for putting a strap is great as I can tie it to cables so that they don't get lost (in fact 2 of my cables are 2.4A Micro-USB retractables for tidiness, to which I have tied Lightning and USB-C adaptors).

I also carry USB-C PD cables with USB-A adaptor attached to them.

There are also combination cables that have different plugs attached to them, but the ties for the plugs are often made of plastic and prone to snapping off.

Plus power banks that can do PD up to 45W.

I've also bought USB-C PD cable for Surface as well, which I have been trying out on this trip (so far, so good).
origin likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jun 1, 2019 at 7:12 pm
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: Yes
Yes, and I think the dream of “one cable to rule them all” will remain one for a long time, because of the examples you just mentioned
BA or bust likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:09 pm

So much about "universal"...
BA or bust likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Quark999
But if there were actual USB-C ports on planes, then people might conceivably expect to be able to charge their MacBook as well for example, or any of the other laptops with USB-C, which use USB-PD over USB-C to draw 45W or even 65W.
Macbook Pro is 87W over USB-C/PD.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Panasonic now is making IFE screens with the option of having an USB-C port on them, NZ has them on there A320/1NEOs.

You can’t charge an MacBook Pro with them, but you can use them to stop power being drawn from your battery with them.
BA or bust, RJD1983 and HFHFFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.