Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

*CANCELLED* BA100 : Heritage-liveried B747s on MAN/NCL/GLA rotations 25 Aug

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: peter h
Dear

We're looking forward to welcoming you on board your flight with us from London Heathrow to Glasgow on 25 August.

We wanted to let you know that we'll be making a change to the aircraft operating your flight. Your flight will no longer be operated by a Boeing 747.

We understand that, after speculation on aviation websites, some of our customers booked on BA1482 hoping to be part of our birthday celebration. We’ll happily offer a full refund to anyone who no longer wishes to travel.

You'll be able to view the timing changes to your flight at ba.com/mmb in the next 24 hours.

If you would like to make a change to your booking, please contact us.

If you booked through a travel agent, please contact them to make any changes.
On Sunday 25 Aug - the day of BAs 100th birthday - BA are operating these domestic rotations with 747s, reportedly the three heritage-liveried aircraft :

NCL (seatmap shows a Mid-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1326 LHR-NCL 0920-1035 (stop 2:05, MCT 0:30): aero404, george77300, jfallesen, Msm2000uk, peter h, Telecasterman,
BA1327 NCL-LHR 1240-1400: aero404, Bazza1603 x 3, Brighterside, Chris9642, corporate-wage-slave, Fontana, george77300, jfallesen, Msm2000uk, peter h, S_W_S, squawk, Telecasterman, WickedStepMother, VG31.

MAN (seatmap shows a Mid-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1386 LHR-MAN 1010-1120 (stop 1:30, MCT 0:30): 81romeo
BA1391 MAN-LHR 1250-1400: 81romeo

GLA (seatmap shows a SuperHi-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1482 LHR-GLA 1200-1330 (stop 1:30, MCT 0:30): bisonrav, IFE Wizard, McG, shl +1, Schwann, hodders
BA1487 GLA-LHR 1500-1625: bisonrav, IFE Wizard, shl +1, Schwann
Print Wikipost

*CANCELLED* BA100 : Heritage-liveried B747s on MAN/NCL/GLA rotations 25 Aug

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by nivsy
What you say is ofcourse true but in the this particular case I would suggest off mark. They went out if their way to out onto the market a "special one of flight" that they actively advertised and were selling" as a one off on the equipment specified. It generated one heck of a lot of interest where did done reason or another people were willing to pay as example something like 300 pounds one way from GLA to LHR on the advertised 747 where I recall seeing a flight 45 minutes earlier or so was available on a 319 at 89 pounds. As a one of BA must have done due diligence.gsbing said that ofcourse maybe BA simply do not do due diligence and fly by seat of their pants. 🙄
There was no active marketing of the flights, no press release. Bookings were fuelled by enthusiasts speculation of what was going to happen. We don’t know for sure the reason why it was changed, not sure we will do.
flygirl68 and Sealink like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Are you making an assumption here, is there any evidence this is the definitive reason?

Bearing in mind BA is comfortable to operate planes with no passengers (to retrieve luggage from North Africa) and happily operated (does it still happen?) a regular programme of ghost flights to Cardiff keep slots active.

I’m not buying the Damascene conversion on climate change I’m afraid.
was it a case of a flyertalk contagion:-)
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
There was no active marketing of the flights, no press release. Bookings were fuelled by enthusiasts speculation of what was going to happen. We don’t know for sure the reason why it was changed, not sure we will do.
They actively informed frequent BA flyers about the flights. This then leaked to the blogs.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by allturnleft
How crazy for environmentalists to be offended by a single event
There is nothing to suggest that environmentalists were "offended" by these planned flights, nor even that the flights were cancelled for environmental reasons at all.

I'd like to think that someone at BA belatedly recognised that celebrating their anniversary by flying one of the world's noisiest and dirtiest passenger planes around the country for the benefit of aviation enthusiasts was environmentally irresponsible and a PR disaster just waiting to happen. But that's a discussion for another forum.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:11 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Phoned up and cancelled this morning.
​​​​​​The £69 upgrade to CE is also being refunded.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
There is nothing to suggest that environmentalists were "offended" by these planned flights
Well, there's that Simon Calder Independent article that says an environmentalist was "angered", but whether that was because a provocative journalist rang him up to tell him about it and generate a story out of nothing, it's hard to know... Maybe Calder didn't get an invite from BA?
aero404 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:24 am

I suspect this has more to do with BA's lack of long haul aircraft. Probably not a good idea to pull 3x B747 from the program at the same time and run the risk of large EU261 payments elsewhere.

Also what happens if one goes tech like LY in LAS. All those people who paid extra would not be happy being stuck in a B777.

A great idea by BA but doomed to failure by reality.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They actively informed frequent BA flyers about the flights. This then leaked to the blogs.

How did they actively inform frequent flyers? From what I can see they changed the aircraft type on 6 flights on the same day and people put 2 and 2 together to make 5. With nothing confirmed publicly if ever there was a case of Chinese whispers on the Internet this is it. .
TPRun and BAEC like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I wasn't booked on any of these flights, because I had no idea about them. I hadn't visited the BA/BAEC subforum for many days, so the whole opportunity was lost in the first place.

However I'm never the less miffed by the situation on the behalf of those who were eager to participate in what was supposed to be special BA themed merryment on board the Queen of the Skies and a unique day, which won't be repeated. And yes, it would have been a special occasion, eventhough some sourdoughs will argue that "it's just a normal 747-400", "it's not worth the price", "actually memorable flights are something else" etc. Each to their own, but I personally would have liked to participate just for the sake of celebrating BA 100 years, flying with the Queen of the Skies on an usual route and more so: share a great, special occasion with other likeminded people from FT and the rest of the aviation geek community. If anything, one can't say it's commonplace to have a widebody Boeing aircraft filled with FT'ers for a special flight. All those occasions are special, just for the likeminded mingle it entails, even if it wouldn't be the last scheduled BA flight with a 747 or 767, or some other similar landmark event.

I personally would have probably executed this in the following manner:
  • Announce this officially well ahead of time, so that people would have had a chance to book without this kind of an odd cancellation without any explanation. I'm personally irked by the fact that BA hasn't announced any possible public festivities well in advance for August (or later during the year, for that matter), which makes it harder for us from further away to participate. Furthermore some would've perhaps appreciated a chance to organise their own schedules accordingly.
  • Engage the public with "save the date" type of PR. If you intend to organise something for a special day and the day is already set, plus you intend to make it accessible to a broader group of BA junkies, then it would be sound to make it known well in advance, even if the actual details would still be open. At least then one would know something of interest would be coming up on the Xth of Y-month 2019. As they seem to leave it to the last minute and announce it in e.g. the BAEC monthly newsletter of August, then I really commend them for absolutely no understanding of how to engage your loyal customers and rather treat them as loyal idiots.
  • Sell all ET tickets for the 747 flights as booking class Y and £100 for a return. Y would have been a traditional airfare and given extra perks as a loyalty thank you for BAEC members. And of course CE would've been sold as C. I'm not suggesting this as a naivety, but simply for the special occasion. We've anyway seen the 100 % Avios bonus already.
I very much second this:

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Acknowledging and recognising that the passengers who booked these flights did so because they were enthusiastic about joining BA for what was shaping up to be a special event ought to trump any consideration of these passengers' status, in my view.
So true. I'm not envious of GGLs, Premiers or other important BA affiliates, but sure one must be pretty BA savvy, if one booked ET or CE on one of these flights.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
How did they actively inform frequent flyers? From what I can see they changed the aircraft type on 6 flights on the same day and people put 2 and 2 together to make 5. With nothing confirmed publicly if ever there was a case of Chinese whispers on the Internet this is it. .
Read upthread... c-w-s says he was informed prior to it hitting the blogs. No doubt others were as well.
wrp96 and george77300 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Read upthread... c-w-s says he was informed prior to it hitting the blogs. No doubt others were as well.
I was not informed 🙄
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by BAEC

I was not informed 🙄
Maybe you're not one of BA's most valued customers...
tigertanaka, James91 and BAEC like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Deltus
Maybe you're not one of BA's most valued customers...
This mornings flight ... crew seemed to think I am 😉
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
@BABenchley posted the info first. Maybe s/he has the reason behind the pull too?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Deltus
Well, there's that Simon Calder Independent article that says an environmentalist was "angered", but whether that was because a provocative journalist rang him up to tell him about it and generate a story out of nothing, it's hard to know... Maybe Calder didn't get an invite from BA?
I don’t blame whoever didn’t invite him. Thank heavens you can’t use newspapers as chip wrappings these days as that’s too good for his articles.
cjb666, volar and aero404 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.