Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Fun and Games on the 2688 Today [BA 2688 = LGW-GOA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 6:04 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold

I think we are all used to the occasional pax glitch on a flight but today on the 2688 to GOA we had two.

1. A GA came on at the end of boarding and asked a family of pax to identify themselves with BP's and also all their hand-luggage too in the overheads. Then all surrounding pax too in the 2-3 rows ahead and behind, basically all to show our BP's then the CC pulled each bag out of the bins above all these 6 or so rows and ask, "whose is this?" and each had to be claimed by the owner. All was OK though in the end and we pushed back only about 15 mins late.

2. But....then after a very short taxi out we had to wait some 15-20 minutes at the runway before departure (not unusual for LGW during the Spring-Summer months). Then just as we finally moved onto the active runway to line-up a pax 2 rows behind me suddenly stood up, opened the overhead and started rummaging through his bag! The CC quickly and firmly announced on the PA to "please sit down" but was ignored.

Then as we came to a stop on the active runway, just before the engines spool up he was still up and rummaging and a CC shouted up from the back "Sit DOWN, we are about to take off" and he shouted back, "ok, ok, no need to shout"....but continued to stand up and rummage in his bag. The CC repeated even more loudly the "Sit Down NOW" command but astonishingly he shouted, "Only when you stop shouting at me". By this time a CC from the front rapidly came down the aisle and repeated the command in his local language directly at him but still he refused, saying he would only when the shouting at him stopped!! By this time the engines were spooling up so some surrounding pax were also shouting "SIT DOWN" at him and he reluctantly did so, grinning to himself. The "urgent" item he retrieved from his luggage was.....a ballpoint pen!

I wondered how close we were to returning to the terminal and him being offloaded - I half-wish he had been for that behaviour although of course that would have meant a further delay. He tried to banter a little with the crew and make humour of it when the trolley came down but they were having none of it. Great to see the usual BA CC professionalism ^
SK, Jimmie76, so3003 and 13 others like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There are a lot of stupid people in the world, sadly some of them also fly. Whilst we all have a lot of disagreements on FT about various issues, I think we all at least agree that standing up like that is stupid and dangerous.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by KARFA
There are a lot of stupid people in the world, sadly some of them also fly. Whilst we all have a lot of disagreements on FT about various issues, I think we all at least agree that standing up like that is stupid and dangerous.
Stupid absolutely. Dangerous not so much.

The probability of injury during take off and landing is definitely the most significant during the flight, but overall it is still fairly low. On most flights you could probably take off while standing in the aisle without any problems. It is about the few times where severe turbulence occurs - but statistically that is an event that thankfully very few people will ever experience.

Oh, and just to make it clear: Absolutely stupid, not recommended.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Does an incident like this usually have follow up. Being it was seemingly a coin toss from delaying the take off would BA just decide to never fly him again? Is it any way acted upon?
moonunit likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:48 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737

The probability of injury during take off and landing is definitely the most significant during the flight, but overall it is still fairly low. On most flights you could probably take off while standing in the aisle without any problems. It is about the few times where severe turbulence occurs - but statistically that is an event that thankfully very few people will ever experience.
I think the real and high danger during take-off is most defintely if the roll is aborted and heavy braking results - really heavy braking. If someone is not belted in their seat they can get seriously injured because during the rapid deceleration they can become a projectile. Not to mention if the overhead bin is open too (as this potentially was) - a 10kg case(s) flying through the air would not be pleasant for the recipient, probably even fatal if the take-off is aborted from a reasonably high speed.

Having been on a plane whose take off was aborted from a high speed I can personally say those brakes are very, very effective when applied to abort a take-off from a high speed.

The guy today was an utter idiot, not just for the standing up and opening of the overhead as we lined up on the runway but more for the refusal to sit down when instructed multiple times coupled with, "I'll sit down only when you stop shouting at me to sit down"
Old May 30, 2019, 7:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Dangerous not so much.
I would disagree. Even without issues like rejected takeoffs or wind/turbulence I don't think it would be trivial to remain upright. Whilst I wouldn't be bothered about the offending passenger injuring themselves, there is a lot of potential for them to fall and injure a nearby innocent passenger.

Absolutely stupid, not recommended.
Agree
awayIgo, flygirl68, so3003 and 2 others like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I think this happened at BOS but anyway we landed a fair few minutes early. Flight deck mentioned that despite having stopped near the terminal we weren't at the gate. Therefore for you own safety the seat belt sign will stay on and please remain seated. Not thirty seconds later a few idiots in the club cabin (777) stood up. Crew told them to sit down which was ignored. Plane started up again with a jolt and said passengers almost ended up on the floor. A voice from another cabin yelled "Serves you right!"
IntVic, flygirl68, atcer28 and 8 others like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:43 am

It is not only about the passenger standing get injured, but their action could potentially injure other passengers. What if a bag from overhead bin falls down on another passenger? I could never understand why some people don't understand the potential outcome of their stunts in a plane
origin, awayIgo, flygirl68 and 1 others like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder

Oh, and just to make it clear: Absolutely stupid, not recommended.
it most certainly is dangerous, please see definition of dangerous, it should not be confused with risk which is what you appear to be referring to (Risk=Likelihood x. Consequence).

Even then I would suggest that the risk of moderate overall, likelihood of minor injury is common but consequences low whereas significant harm is rare but consequences severe
Crofton138 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

On most flights you could probably take off while standing in the aisle without any problems. It is about the few times where severe turbulence occurs
I don't think you appreciate the hazards inherent in acceleration and braking even at quite low speeds.

Turbulence is another thing.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Should have been arrested at the end of the flight. Disobeyed a lawful (and eminently sensible) instruction from cabin crew.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I was sitting on the back row of the BA269 to LAX a few years ago (a 747) in world traveller plus and a guy stood up to go into the overhead bins during a steep climb. He was told in no uncertain terms to "SIT DOWN SIR, NOW!" from a voice behind me. He was in that solo WT+ seat at the front of the cabin and sat down rather casually, shoes off. I just remember thinking: What a PRAT.
BOH, wrp96, mikeyfly and 1 others like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I was on an AA flight into CLT when a 70yo guy stood up to go to the toilet 15 seconds before the wheels touched the ground. Crew yelled at him but it was too late. We touched down and when the breaks were applied someone had to grab hold of him to stop him falling over. Guy just seemed confused. I think he just didn't understand what was happening as a whole. Crew were very good and realised it was just a case of an infrequent flyer who might have been a little overwhelmed with the whole experience.
BOH and wrp96 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
As navylad has rightly pointed out, risk is a combination of probability and impact. If we only look at the impact, flying is about the most dangerous thing you can do (it falls down, you're dead). It is mitigated by amazing safety and security standards, which means the probability of this happening is extremely remote. As a consequence, the overall risk of air travel is pretty low.

Standing in the aisle during take off is absolutely stupid. It is however not absolutely dangerous.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: ECH Gold
Originally Posted by gcuk
Should have been arrested at the end of the flight. Disobeyed a lawful (and eminently sensible) instruction from cabin crew.
quite right!
Self entitled ignorant selfish individual
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.