Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free connecting flights

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Free connecting flights

I read somewhere (long ago) that you can get free connecting flights if the flight you need doesnt leave from your home airport.

So for me I need to fly from GLA - LON on my way to LAS. Question is should BA give me the GLA - LON part free ?

Hope this made sense
Old May 29, 2019, 7:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Hi. Yes if booking a long haul reward flight you do not have to pay any additional avios for the domestic connecting flight. There may be some extra taxes/fees/charges to pay but usually around £30-50.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

I forgot all about this so ive already booked 2 business flights for £25 and roughly 7000 avios each . Would it be worth me contacting BA about this or did it have to be done at time of long haul booking ?
Old May 29, 2019, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by calpsy
I forgot all about this so ive already booked 2 business flights for £25 and roughly 7000 avios each . Would it be worth me contacting BA about this or did it have to be done at time of long haul booking ?
they aren't long haul flights tho. the above only applies for long haul reward flights. for short haul flights you have to pay the normal avios rate for any connecting domestic flights - I think that changed around 2015.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

NO Ive booked LON - LAS which obv is long haul and needed connecting flights GLA - LON
Old May 29, 2019, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by calpsy
NO Ive booked LON - LAS which obv is long haul and needed connecting flights GLA - LON
Ah I see, yes call up and you should be able to add in domestic connections to your existing LON-LAS booking. As noted you will have to pay any additonal taxes/fees/costs which are usually £30-50 per added domestic flight.

Unfortunately if you cancel your existing domestic flights you will only get the avios back and you will lose the £25. You'll have to assess whether this is worth it, perhaps considering protection of the connection when on one booking vs no protection when on separate bookings.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
For the reasons mentioned by KARFA I may well leave it: you’d have to pay 1) change fee on the long haul, 2) cancellation fee on the short haul, 3) extra tax on the new long haul which may exceed those of the RFS. Additionally, you’d need the right availability on the short haul which may or may not be there (your cancelling two award seats does not necessarily imply that two would be added to inventory at all). What you gain is protection and seamlessness, so if there isn’t much time between your flights or plan to check luggage go for it but financially it’s unlikely to be worth it.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 30, 2019 at 1:42 am
Old May 30, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Did you book your long haul flight with cash or with avios?
Old May 30, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Still within the 24 hour cancellation window?
Old May 30, 2019, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Just gonna leave it as its not gonna be worth it financially but GOOD to know for future. Thanks for all your help
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Please note ( if you are not already aware) that bags will not be checked through on separate tickets so you will need to collect them at LHR ( both ways) then head over to/from T3 as GLA flights use T 5 and LAS uses T3

Regards

TBS
Old May 30, 2019, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Yeah i realise the bags wont go right through. Staying the night at Gatwick anyway but yeah bit of a pain collecting them. AND its business class so they are always off 1st ( if only lol )
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Gatwick?
Old May 31, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I assumed the OP was going via LHR as it is my normal route but I forgot there is a routing is via Gatwick ( so is the routing GLA-LGW then LGW- LAS?)

Regards

TBS
Old May 31, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Is this stuff about free connecting flights documented anywhere on the BA web site?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.