Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is delay code ZO ?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
What is delay code ZO ?

I’m currently sitting in the much improved MUC lounge waiting for BA954 to get here from LHR to operate my BA955 back. Currently showing a 2:30 delay after leaving LHR at 19:02 instead of 16:30. ExpertFlyer shows the following:

DOBA954/23MAY
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 954 0 TH 23MAY19
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1900
DELAY ZO
LEFT THE GATE 1902
TOOK OFF 1921
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 2206 MUC
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 954 0 TH 23MAY19
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 1630 TH JCDRI/M YB/G 319 2:00
HKMLVNOQSG/G
MUC 1930 TH 2:00
COMMENTS-
1.LHR MUC - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.LHR MUC - DEPARTS TERMINAL 5
3.LHR MUC - ARRIVES TERMINAL 1
4.LHR MUC - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.LHR MUC - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
6.LHR MUC - CO2/PAX* 105.98 KG ECO, 105.98 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
319 C 24 M 107
>

What does “Delay ZO” mean?
Old May 23, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by Sigwx
As for 'Z CODES' The Z codes break down delays by department, and are further sub divided with three letter codes. However for reference;

ZA - ATC

ZC - CARGO

ZD - SECURITY

ZE - ENGINEERING

ZF - FLIGHT CREW

ZJ - INFORMATION MANAGEMENT (IT)

ZK - CABIN CREW

ZL - GROUND FLEET SERVICES

ZM - CATERING

ZO - OPERATIONS

ZP - PASSENGER SERVICES

ZR - RAMP

ZT - AIRPORT CENTRE (think load control/load sheets etc)

ZW - WEATHER (Micheal Fish gets his very own hurricane/not hurricane code)

ZZ - AIRPORT AND AUTHORIES.
found the above on a post from a few years ago might help
Flyiboy and Keter like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
found the above on a post from a few years ago might help
Ok, thanks, that is indeed very helpful.

Actually just received an email from BA and have to admit to being mildly impressed. There’s nobody in a BA uniform anywhere airside here but they did at least send the following message:

Dear MR Tafflyer

We would like to apologise for the disruption to your flight BA955 to London Heathrow. We understand any delay to your travel plans can be frustrating and stressful and we apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

The aircraft operating your flight has developed a technical issue prior to its departure from London to Munich which required us to perform an aircraft change.

I am pleased to advise you that the aircraft operating your flight is now on its way to Munich. The new estimated time of departure of your flight is 22:15 local time.

We apologise for the delay to this service, and any inconvenience caused. Please continue to check ba.com/travel/flightstatus for the most up to date information on your flight.

Warm regards,

British Airways Customer Service
Now, the information cannot be accurate since the aircraft since the time of departure mentioned in the Email is the estimated time of arrival of the inbound aircraft but it is an open and honest communication and in stark contrast to anything being provided here on the ground.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:13 pm

Deleted.
PETER01 and Tafflyer like this.

Last edited by TCX69; Feb 10, 2020 at 8:31 am
Old May 23, 2019, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Lightning does, then, appear to strike twice at the same point. Looking at a 2:30 delay at this time of night is a right PITA as Mrs Tafflyer, who I was due to pick up at LGW from another flight will now be forced into the Hilton there. The delay is not long enough for either BA or my insurance to cover that either. Oh well, one of those things. At least the beer here is very good.
Old May 23, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Lightning does, then, appear to strike twice at the same point.
Random Friday night fact...
My students are often amazed by a time lapse video showing lightning strikes on the spire of the Empire State Building. To be fair, it's only about 22 per year, but, it strikes more than once in the same place!
Old May 23, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Random Friday night fact...
My students are often amazed by a time lapse video showing lightning strikes on the spire of the Empire State Building. To be fair, it's only about 22 per year, but, it strikes more than once in the same place!
Probably has so many strikes because it is one of the tallest buildings around and it has a lightning rod at the top to safeguard it and people around it. The lightning rod attracts lightning so that it does not strike something else. This provides a cone of protection around the building.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'll just add in a few comments about ZO since it is the most common delay code you will see in the system. It does indeed mean an operational cause for the delay. At LHR a non exhaustive list could include gate not being available, slot delays impacting take off (very common), a delay caused by the usual daily runway switch-over, poor weather (even though there is ZW). It's not really done from a perspective of (say) EC261, it's just how the turnaround manager sees the situation on the ground. So for example if the baggage loading was delayed due to some screw-up with the loading, that may well get ZO and it's purely under the airline's control. If there was a delay due to torrential rain, it could easily be ZO and there wouldn't be much anyone can do about it.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Slightly OT, but looking at the detail you get on EF, what do GRND and TLL mean? I think I can work out the rest.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'll just add in a few comments about ZO since it is the most common delay code you will see in the system. It does indeed mean an operational cause for the delay. At LHR a non exhaustive list could include gate not being available, slot delays impacting take off (very common), a delay caused by the usual daily runway switch-over, poor weather (even though there is ZW). It's not really done from a perspective of (say) EC261, it's just how the turnaround manager sees the situation on the ground. So for example if the baggage loading was delayed due to some screw-up with the loading, that may well get ZO and it's purely under the airline's control. If there was a delay due to torrential rain, it could easily be ZO and there wouldn't be much anyone can do about it.
Thanks for that. It sounds to me like it’s the default code then for anything. I really wasn’t looking at it from the EC261 perspective this time as BA not only appeared to do all they could to rectify the situation but for the first time I can remember they proactively contacted me with a clear reason for the delay and an apology. I have always said that when you travel a lot, things will go wrong. It’s how you handle it that counts. The MUC based ground agents were noticeable by their absence though and even made a last and final call the moment the inbound aircraft landed. Waiting in a bus on the apron watching the inbound passengers disembark into their bus is not really my idea of a premium ground experience.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Thanks for that. It sounds to me like it’s the default code then for anything. I really wasn’t looking at it from the EC261 perspective this time as BA not only appeared to do all they could to rectify the situation but for the first time I can remember they proactively contacted me with a clear reason for the delay and an apology. I have always said that when you travel a lot, things will go wrong. It’s how you handle it that counts. The MUC based ground agents were noticeable by their absence though and even made a last and final call the moment the inbound aircraft landed. Waiting in a bus on the apron watching the inbound passengers disembark into their bus is not really my idea of a premium ground experience.
If things are running very late then third party ground handlers tend to do everything to speed things up before they can go off to other duties. BA doesn't get any latitude these days, not least because BA doesn't give latitude in their direction either. So getting you on the bus and off the gate means they can clock off and it's just the bus driver - who would presumably be there anyway. Do complain about it, though I doubt it would make a lot of difference. The email indeed is helpful when information is otherwise in short supply.

But yes, I would share your view that ZO is more or less a default here.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Does anyone know if delay reason ZO makes a flight eligible for EC/UK261 comp if the resulting missed connection is scheduled to, and actually does, arrive over four hours later than the first connecting flight was scheduled?

details: JFK-LHR-LIS on BA112, BA500 missed connection and put on later BA flight to LIS

Comments:

DOBA112/11AUG
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 112 -1 TH 11AUG22
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

JFK ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1830
LEFT THE GATE 1847
TOOK OFF 1934
DELAY ZO
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 0629 LHR
LHR AIRCRAFT LANDED 0631
ARRIVED 0657
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 112 -1 TH 11AUG22
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
JFK 1830 TH FAJCDRIWETY/M 77W 7:00
BHKMLVSNQOG/M
LHR 0630 FR 7:00
COMMENTS-
1.JFK LHR - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.JFK LHR - DEPARTS TERMINAL 7
3.JFK LHR - ARRIVES TERMINAL 5
4.JFK LHR - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.JFK LHR - SECURED FLIGHT
6.JFK LHR - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
7.JFK LHR - CO2/PAX* 315.21 KG ECO, 630.42 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
77W F 8 J 76 W 40 M 130
>
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:03 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by salut0
Does anyone know if delay reason ZO makes a flight eligible for EC/UK261 comp if the resulting missed connection is scheduled to, and actually does, arrive over four hours later than the first connecting flight was scheduled?

details: JFK-LHR-LIS on BA112, BA500 missed connection and put on later BA flight to LIS
Depends. What time was it originally scheduled to land, doesn't look like a big delay. What was the expected connection time for your next flight?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by firstlight
Depends. What time was it originally scheduled to land, doesn't look like a big delay. What was the expected connection time for your next flight?
Not mine, a friend’s. Connection booked was 1hr to BA500. They’ve ended up on the next flight to LIS which arrives more than 4hrs after the original connection was meant to
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by salut0
Not mine, a friend’s. Connection booked was 1hr to BA500. They’ve ended up on the next flight to LIS which arrives more than 4hrs after the original connection was meant to
ZO does not automatically give a green light to EC261. It depends on the cause of the operational delay, which is usually explained by the flight deck in the preflight briefing. However as a very general point, a 1 hour connection means that almost any fairly trivial event can cause a misconnect so the risk of this happening is high and the chance of it being an EC261 event is not high. So the usual thing, it depends on the details. At a guess from the data above, it seems that there may have been a short delay on take off, quite normal at JFK, another delay in the landing approach to LHR and another short delay in getting to the gate, weight of traffic, so it won't take much of that to miss a connection and it would not be in scope for EC261.
salut0 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.