Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inadequate F Catering Levels

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Why don’t they lose a bottle of champagne and double the food budget?

It seems daft that they’re willing to spend top dollar on alcohol but penny pinch on food.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I have had meals that had a production date sticker on them that was 6 months prior to the flight, so obviously produced in bulk and frozen. Should be fairly easy to order as many as needed on the day of flight, just pull them from the freezer.
Valid point. But are frozen meals loaded on to the aircraft? And where is the freezer?

Sorry, but this could be a stupid question, but where do the catering carts/trolleys get filled? At the supplier or at the airport? This could affect the time to react to different loads.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Why don’t they lose a bottle of champagne and double the food budget?

It seems daft that they’re willing to spend top dollar on alcohol but penny pinch on food.
But unopened bottles can get recycled - food with a use by date can't.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by lloydah
Having been one of only two P pax on Air France TATL I can assure you the choice was the whole menu "The choice is yours Sir, we have everything..." .
FWIW I was the only pax in F on a BA flight a year or so ago and they had the entire menu, there were no no shows as I’d been regularly eying the cabin on EF. I know I shouldn’t be, but I was surprised. Crew were a bit upset with my dessert choice because they’d been eying it up for themselves!
stephenjc likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Going from memory ( and I may be completely wrong) I think I saw somewhere that the food portion budget was £3-4 per passenger in F. £1.50 in WT.
Yes; lets use that as fact and continue the thread for a few more days.

It's a shame that environment and food waste are not part of the forum consciousness.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Interesting to read this just days after I caught (probably a repeat) on Dubai Airport and it showed two J class passengers wanting an upgrade to F, but being held back by the gate controller until she could find out if they could load 1 of everything on the menu for each of them. Not a random number of items based on an algorithm that is never right, but 1 of everything for each 1st class passenger. It may be wasteful if the rest don't get eaten, but if you're paying to travel First, you'd expect your first choice is the only choice you have to make.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
I cant help feeling that first class should mean exactly that and, in what is a relatively small cabin, they should just suck it up and provide everyone with the full menu.
Don't you think that a terrible waste of food?
Andriyko, HIDDY, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Don't you think that a terrible waste of food?
No, because the meals not chosen by passengers can be used as crew meals. From any logical perspective F is wasteful by definition, look at how much more floor space per passenger it consumes compared to Y. The relative fuel burn per passenger is way higher in F than any other class.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
No, because the meals not chosen by passengers can be used as crew meals. From any logical perspective F is wasteful by definition, look at how much more floor space per passenger it consumes compared to Y. The relative fuel burn per passenger is way higher in F than any other class.
The crew choose from the leftover Club meals, so I suppose they could be thrown away instead? Either way, it appears a terrible (and unnecessary) waste to me.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Quite recently, I flew SQ Suites from HK to Singapore and was the only passenger in the cabin. They had loaded 2 of every single item on the very extensive menu and I was encouraged to eat as much as I could manage. When I expressed concern that the rest of the food would go to waste, they reassured me that the cabin crew would enjoy what was left - but not until I had made my initial unlimited number of choices.

These anecdotes suggest that BA is cutting too many corners when it comes to catering in First, and the lower proportions of choices loaded on smaller cabins, or when bigger cabins are less full, is clear proof of it.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Just to be clear, on BA if you are the only F passenger, they will load 1 of everything. The issues come up when there are a small number of passengers - I believe F is somewhat overcatered but if there are 5 pax and 4 main course choices you could have 1 of each loaded plus 1 extra of something and still end up disappointing 3 passengers. In a cabin of 14 that is less likely to happen. Clearly, you can’t load 14 x 4 (56 main courses) for 14 people ‘just in case’!
Andriyko, flygirl68 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by subject2load
And what about a straight comparison between F class air passengers who are based in London, and those based in Paris ?? The cities are around 40 mins apart.

Why, one wonders, is it that those using AF should be offered a ‘full choice of meals’ (as you put it) whilst those using BA are not ??

I don't know whether AF actually offers a full choice of meals. People complain about not getting their first choice on the AF forum as well, so perhaps AF does not carry one of everything for each F passenger.
As to who should be offered what when flying on a particular airline - that is not a question to me. I simply pointed out that in when comparing flying LON-IAD and LON-CDG-IAD, the difference is much more than just about meals.
I personally believe that loading one of everything is hugely wasteful, so a balance needs to be found, and I am happy to accept that I may not get my first choice sometimes. Those who believe that it should never happen either in F or in J won't be happy with that approach of course, which seems to have been adopted by the majority of airlines. It is obviously a non-issue on the large scale, so either BA is good at guessing what to load and not getting one's first choice does not happen that often or passengers for the most part do not care and are easy about not getting their first choice.

Originally Posted by abligh
That rather assumes you are starting out in LON.

And the post I commented on was about getting from London to Washington, DC, either directly or through a connection. There was no assumption there.

Last edited by Andriyko; May 21, 2019 at 10:32 pm
Old May 22, 2019, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
I cant help feeling that first class should mean exactly that and, in what is a relatively small cabin, they should just suck it up and provide everyone with the full menu.
On most full flights would mean they would need to find space in the galley for 14 x canapes, 14 x starter 1, 14 x starter 2, 14 x starter 3, 14 x starter 4, 14 x main 1, 14 x main 2, 14 x main 3, 14 x main 4, 14 x dessert 1, 14 x dessert 2, 14 x cheese, and repeat accordingly for 2nd meal. This would be a ridiculous extreme, and as Tobias-UK said, what a waste of food.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
On most full flights would mean they would need to find space in the galley for 14 x canapes, 14 x starter 1, 14 x starter 2, 14 x starter 3, 14 x starter 4, 14 x main 1, 14 x main 2, 14 x main 3, 14 x main 4, 14 x dessert 1, 14 x dessert 2, 14 x cheese, and repeat accordingly for 2nd meal. This would be a ridiculous extreme, and as Tobias-UK said, what a waste of food.
Agreed. There has to be a happy medium however where the catering doesn't feel inadequate OR overly wasteful. Other airlines manage this. What BA currently do doesn't resemble this - it's just (another) a cost cutting measure that chisels away at the overall experience.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Agreed but loading more extras for a light load (when the issue of lack of choice seems more frequent) would use less space and wastage would not be high ( especially if the crew have those items not selected by pax).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.