Wiki Posts
Search

CW bed linen wrapped in plastic - why?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
CW bed linen wrapped in plastic - why?

I noticed in my last couple of flights that bed linen comes wrapped in plastic. As this already comes inside a protective pouch, why does BA do this? Doesn't anyone look/care about the unnecessary amount of waste generated?
​​​​​
Old May 20, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I’d rather have clean uncontaminated linen. It allows reuse of unused materials, and is hardly going to end up in a river in the developing world.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It would be so nice if CW had bed linen rather than just the mattress pad/blanket/day blanket combo. Missing that from the old Austrian service!
Old May 20, 2019, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
I’d rather have clean uncontaminated linen. It allows reuse of unused materials, and is hardly going to end up in a river in the developing world.
You make yourself comfortable on the fabric of a seat used by thousands of people and then your inflight linen needs to be "uncontaminated"? I really don't see the point.
dddc, Dambus, LCY8737 and 8 others like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
This has been discussed at great length internally and wrapping each item individually saves on a significant amount of waste due to less items being laundered. Those that aren’t opened are used again. More work is being done on this apparently.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Unfortunately, using plastic packaging is probably the only way to really know whether or not an item of linen has been used or not - if not, there is a considerable saving of water and detergent to be made by simply re-using it rather than sending every single item to the laundry...

Swings & roundabouts: however you look at it, the airline business is trying hard but will never be a 'low consumption' endeavour...
Old May 20, 2019, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by mario
I noticed in my last couple of flights that bed linen comes wrapped in plastic. As this already comes inside a protective pouch, why does BA do this? Doesn't anyone look/care about the unnecessary amount of waste generated?​​​​​
Your frequent flights contribute a great deal more to global warming and the destruction of the environment than does your bedding being wrapped in plastic.
mrow, Stez, Twickenham and 8 others like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Misco60
Your frequent flights contribute a great deal more to global warming and the destruction of the environment than does your bedding being wrapped in plastic.
Ah, so that makes it alright then 🙄
Dambus, burnsie21 and simonrp84 like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Misco60
Two wrongs don't make a right. We need to limit consumption where we can. Being a BA frequent flier does not entitle us to uncontrolled consumption in all other parts of life.
SK, Dambus, David_Doyle and 5 others like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
Two wrongs don't make a right. We need to limit consumption where we can. Being a BA frequent flier does not entitle us to uncontrolled consumption in all other parts of life.
I agree - but a frequent flyer complaining about a few grams of excess plastic packaging might, to some people, come across as ever so slightly hypocritical.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
This has been discussed at great length internally and wrapping each item individually saves on a significant amount of waste due to less items being laundered. Those that aren’t opened are used again. More work is being done on this apparently.
Absolutely, someone else reads Yammer.
nyjoe4, BingBongBoy, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
At least on the Heathrow end everything non-recyclable is incinerated by Grundon and turned onto cinder blocks and I believe that US airports also incinerate all their waste which means that the majority of BA flights do not send anything to landfill.

Landfill disposal might occur in other countries where they have fewer concerns around bio-security.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:33 am

I sort of question the point of the whole CW package. On a flight back from Denver, most people just dumped the "mattress" thingy in the overhead bin. Too much of a faf to use.

(and no point in asking the cabin crew - they were having enough trouble dealing with the meal service)

Glad to hear unused items are being reused since their individual plastic would have been unopened.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
OK, well I don't have my face and mouth in close contact with the "seat used by others", so I'm not sure how that's relevant. Unless the suggestion is that we just reuse the bedding without having it laundered. Good luck selling that one to J passengers.

The "war on plastic" is a very blunt instrument and arguably more to do with PR than reality. In many cases, use of plastic as an implement or barrier is far cheaper and environmentally sensible than alternatives, and it's used to prevent over-processing (including cleaning, which requires energy and chemicals) or waste. You have to be careful to consider the entire environmental impact of any artefact rather than greenwashing the obvious front end things.

The idea that eschewing a straw in your onboard drink, or plastic bag around clean bedding is "doing your bit to save the planet" is in most cases illusory, as BA will be managing waste responsibly. The problem of waste in the oceans is principally a symptom of the lower availability of infrastructure in the developing world, where in the first place plastic is used (to take one example) to bottle clean drinking water, creating the waste, and where that waste ends up in watercourses in significant quantities.

So actually that is the problem to solve, but noting also that Malaysia (to take a developing world example I know well) is already limiting single use plastics led by pressure from the younger population. But this is moving into omni territory - my conclusion in terms of whether BA are doing the right thing by using plastic bags is that in all probability they are, but as with pretty much every large organisation on the planet they will be looking to do more.
trooper, mrow, Greenpen and 5 others like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bisonrav
The idea that eschewing a straw in your onboard drink, or plastic bag around clean bedding is "doing your bit to save the planet" is in most cases illusory, as BA will be managing waste responsibly.
How about the waste created during the production of that item? And the disposal of that item? And the transportation of that item?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.