Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 e-gates now open: Australia, Canada, Japan, NZ, Singapore, S Korea & USA citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 e-gates now open: Australia, Canada, Japan, NZ, Singapore, S Korea & USA citizens

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Physci

part of the problem is the flimsy nature of the picture page in the current U.K. passport which means it creases easily when being inserted into an e-gate reader, leading to a failure of the machine to read the details for consistency check against the chip data.
One has to ask why, oh why, did they drop the lovely robust solid plastic page we have in our current passports?
squawk and jorg71 like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Physci
part of the problem is the flimsy nature of the picture page in the current U.K. passport which means it creases easily when being inserted into an e-gate reader, leading to a failure of the machine to read the details for consistency check against the chip data.
I had precisely this problem at LCY yesterday, with a newish passport, and it took me a while (and several instructions to "try again") to work out what the problem was. It seems to be a bit of a design flaw.
Old May 25, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
My UK passport happily works at e gates through out the world , but has never worked on return to the UK. Apparently Smiths and Kumar’s are particularly affected ..... the thing that annoys me as they still make me try and use the e gates before letting me use the manual check .
Old May 25, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Mine worked perfectly for about 2 years, then one day it stopped working altogether on UK eGates. It works in every other country I've tried, and the UKBA staff have been everything from uninterested through to threatening when I've suggested that there must be a block on my passport or name.

"It's probably a faulty chip" :: definitely not, I can read it with an NFC reader on my phone.
"You must have changed how you look" :: nope, the eGate camera doesn't even move to my face, I'm 6ft 3 and it's usually pointing at my chest.
"You're not holding it on there properly" :: oh, then I must be only good at it in literally every other country I've tried it.

Considering getting a second passport again, as now the "seek assistance" queues are getting longer.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Without e-gates and without any access to the priority lane, non-UK,EU or EEA, around 30 mins in T5.
I must've been unlucky but LHR has always been at least 40 minutes for me. Then this one time... 3+ hours at T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.