Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 e-gates now open: Australia, Canada, Japan, NZ, Singapore, S Korea & USA citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 e-gates now open: Australia, Canada, Japan, NZ, Singapore, S Korea & USA citizens

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 9:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

The main thread is below, but for the benefit of any BA passengers arriving into T5 today / this week: all the LHR T5 e-gates now accept biometric passports issued by Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States. I just went through on my NZ passport and it took no more or less time than on the UK/French passports. All machines were switched on, so anyone going through the UK Border would go straight to a machine.

And landing cards for all nationalities are also scrapped as of today.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-...countries.html
Old May 20, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Ah nice - I saw this today when landing at T5 but at 6am my brain thought it'd been there for a little while. The crew did make mention that landing cards were now scrapped so this is good news all round
Old May 20, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Are there any additional e-gates at T5? And will more than half of them ever be open?

I know it's only 7 additional countries, but those 7 countries must contribute a sizeable proportion of the non-EU arrivals at T5.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Misco60
Are there any additional e-gates at T5? And will more than half of them ever be open?

I know it's only 7 additional countries, but those 7 countries must contribute a sizeable proportion of the non-EU arrivals at T5.
No extra gates added, but all were switched on this afternoon when normally only half would be - and that would sufficient for the numbers at that time of day. Both e-gate verification points were staffed with 3 Border Force officers rather than the usual one. An anecdote isn't data, but it isn't necessarily bad news if low risk people get machine processed and some staff shifted over from the desks to machine verification.
IAMORGAN and nick.t.davies like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No extra gates added, but all were switched on this afternoon when normally only half would be - and that would sufficient for the numbers at that time of day. Both e-gate verification points were staffed with 3 Border Force officers rather than the usual one. An anecdote isn't data, but it isn't necessarily bad news if low risk people get machine processed and some staff shifted over from the desks to machine verification.
Thanks. It makes sense that staff should be moved from the manned gates to the e-gates; hopefully, that'll continue to be the case.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
This is excellent news! Let's hope that the number of e-gates available is maintained at appropriate levels for the number of passengers!
T8191 likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
I just went through on my NZ passport and it took no more or less time than on the UK/French passports.
As a UK national are you allowed to enter on a foreign passport? Back in the day of manual processing a border agent in no uncertain terms told me that was against the law and he was not sending me to jail that day only because he was a good man. I remember researching this topic in "Internets", failed to find anything and just decided not to push my luck with UKBA.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luitje
As a UK national are you allowed to enter on a foreign passport? .
Yes, it's not like the USA. However I don't have an absolute right of entry unless I used my UK passport or freedom of movement as on my French passport.

You may have encountered some typical sense of British humour from your Border Force officer.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 20, 2019 at 12:00 pm
Old May 20, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
So, is the Register Traveller scheme now no longer needed for U.S. citizens?
Old May 20, 2019, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by handspring088
So, is the Register Traveller scheme now no longer needed for U.S. citizens?
Correct but let's put any further non BA / T5 connected questions into the UK forum listed above.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
You may have encountered some typical sense of British humour from your Border Force officer.
Could be, but if so, that bloke was brilliant - scared lots of bodily substance out of me.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA will need to update its T5 arrivals video shown onboard inbound aircraft, as this still states that non-EU citizens not transiting need to fill in a landing card.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Starship73
BA will need to update its T5 arrivals video shown onboard inbound aircraft, as this still states that non-EU citizens not transiting need to fill in a landing card.
Give it a few years!
Old May 20, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Amex Cent. BA Gold
Went through it this morning on a Canadian passport. It went flawlessly and was through in 20 seconds. Well done.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
However I don't have an absolute right of entry unless I used my UK passport or freedom of movement as on my French passport.
According to the current EU rules, the UK may refuse EU citizens entry if they pose a threat to security.
While freedom of movement grants you an automatic leave, a French citizen can still be stopped and deported. However, the UK border force needs good reasons for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.