Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Technical Issue at Manchester - BA Delays In/Out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond

I'm waiting for BA1402 from Heathrow to Manchester. Suggesting a possible 3 hour delay due landing restrictions at Manchester. Also impacting BA1407 on the return leg.

Of course this is my first B2B at Manchester!

Anyone gave any additional info? Please post here.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Internally it’s showing a 40 minute delayed departure but a 146 minute delayed arrival which is strange.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I believe this is the reason

Old May 19, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now showing 70 minutes delayed and 181minutes delayed arrival.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Could they carry extra fuel to allow the return?

Good luck getting sorted. Is this at the start or end of a trip? Perhaps you can offload yourself and ask to start at LHR if need be.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by madfish
Could they carry extra fuel to allow the return?

Good luck getting sorted. Is this at the start or end of a trip? Perhaps you can offload yourself and ask to start at LHR if need be.
they could do and it wouldn’t be hard for such a short sector. Problem is MAN is now backed up with arrivals and departures.
madfish and george77300 like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Thanks for info provided so far. Really helpful.

This is the end of a HEL TP run. I've now offloaded myself from both flights so will reorganize them at another time.

Hope Manchester gets the problem sorted soon for everyone else on the flight.
madfish likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:01 pm

We are just boarding the 1402 to Manchester right now. About 1 hour delayed. At least we weren't waiting inside the plane in the tarmac like a lot of other people caught up by the fuel problems at Manchester.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
My flight MAN-MUC-BRE was delayed so I missed the MUC connection before I even took off. It was a gigantic clusterfudge with every airline service desk 100’s of people deep. I rebooked for tomorrow morning and booked my own hotel.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Internally it’s showing a 40 minute delayed departure but a 146 minute delayed arrival which is strange.
Apologies if you know CIHY, but this is how slot delays are shown on OpsDashboard/FICO. It can show as an on time (or delayed due to other reasons) departure but then with an arrival delay of xx minutes that is significantly greater, due to the ATC restriction. Once an aircraft is airborne the figures usually match up.

Last edited by Boeing77W; May 20, 2019 at 9:57 am Reason: Spelling
Old May 20, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Anyone know if this qualifies for EU261? It’s a technical fault, but not with a plane and beyond the airlines’ control.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by roberino
Anyone know if this qualifies for EU261? It’s a technical fault, but not with a plane and beyond the airlines’ control.
This is the relevant paragraph from the guide thread, I can't see why BA would be liable for compensation. It's MAN who messed up here not the airlines.

Q5: Are there circumstances where the airline can refuse compensation?
A5: Yes: these are referred to in the Regulation as “extraordinary circumstances”. There is no definitive list of extraordinary circumstances. Broadly speaking, extraordinary circumstances are events that are outside the airline’s control and the concept also implies a departure from what can be expected in the normal course of operation.
As a rough rule of thumb, events such as weather delays, ATC delays, cancellations due to strikes or to political instability (war, terrorism threats, etc...),are usually regarded as constituting extraordinary circumstances. Even then, however, each case must be looked at on its merits to ascertain the “extraordinary” character of the event.

Q6: do delays and cancellations due to mechanical problems with the aircraft constitute “extraordinary circumstances”?
A6: the same principle applies for technical problems as for other extraordinary circumstances: ‘ordinary’ technical problems that occur in the normal course of business are not regarded as extraordinary circumstances. On the other hand, a delay that would result, for instance, of damage to the aircraft due to sabotage or terrorism, or a request by Boeing or Airbus to review certain mechanisms on all aircrafts of a particular model following the discovery of a hidden defect would constitute an ‘extraordinary circumstance”.
In practice, therefore, most mechanical problems are unlikely to constitute extraordinary circumstances.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boeing77W

Apolgies if you know CIHY, but this is how slot delays are shown on OpsDashboard/FICO. It can show as an on time (or delayed due to other reasons) departure but then with an arrival delay of xx minutes that is significantly greater, due to the ATC restriction. Once an aircraft is airborne the figures usually match up.
Thank you I didn’t and that makes sense.
Boeing77W likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
This is the relevant paragraph from the guide thread, I can't see why BA would be liable for compensation. It's MAN who messed up here not the airlines.
I'd be very surprised if BA coughed up too, but mainly because I was flying LH. Don't really know why my posts were added to a BA forum. Thanks for the quotes from the regulations though - pretty much what I was expecting.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by KARFA
I can't see why BA would be liable for compensation. It's MAN who messed up here not the airlines.
Surely the airlines have a way to turn on MAN to get compensation back too! Not airline related, but even when people tried to take remains of a WWI shell on the Eurostar (it used to be almost monthly), they still ended up paying compensation. Less than EU261, but still.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.