Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HEL and DME/SVO - doable as a 241 open jaw?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold

I’ve had been planning a trip to Russia for next summer using Avios and an Amex 241 voucher. The plan was to fly into LED, spend a week there before taking the train to Moscow.

given that LED has now been suspended we were thinking of flying into HEL instead, spending a few nights there before taking the train to LED, finally flying out of DME or SVO a couple of weeks later.

I understand that there are various rules around what constitutes a valid open jaw route, but I’m not familiar with all the intricacies. Can anyone help me?

also, which airport would you recommend for the return leg? DME or SVO. We would be in Club, so lounge access would be a factor.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
A quick multicity search on ba.com allows LHR/HEL//DME/LHR so don't see any issue booking this. Just remember your Russian visa.
bakera likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Is next summer that of 2019 or 2020? I believe that the LED flights only stop in October?
Old May 19, 2019, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Thank madfish. @orbitmic - This is for 2020. I always plan well in advance, In fact I’m already planning our trip to NAS for 2021.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:33 am

That will be a really interesting holiday if you’ve not been that part of the world before.

Helsinki is a great city for a couple of days, especially if you can arrive in style on the A350. I’m sure the train ride to St P will allow you to see lots more of the countryside than you would see from the plane. St P is stunning, we usually stay in the Indigo Hotel on work trips, which is very friendly by local standards and near some good restaurants. Train to Moscow is meant to be pretty civilised, but apparently quite serious airport style security to get on it. The great thing about both of these trains is that you’ll miss sitting in the traffic to get to and from LED airport.

I’m flying into DME and out of SVO on my next trip in 10 days time, so happy to share thoughts after that. SVO only gets the A321 with club world at the moment, whereas DME gets a wide body and the A321 once a day, so this may alter your decision. However, we are a long time out, so there is a good chance the equipment will change.
bakera likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For an open jaw 2-4-1 reward booking generally the jaw can’t be more than either of the two flights. So for LHR-AAA/BBB-LHR the distance for AAA to BBB can’t be more than either LHR-AAA or BBB-LHR.
bakera likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
For an open jaw 2-4-1 reward booking generally the jaw can’t be more than either of the two flights. So for LHR-AAA/BBB-LHR the distance for AAA to BBB can’t be more than either LHR-AAA or BBB-LHR.
Thanks Karfa. I remember the distance equation, but thought that there was something else as well. Does the fact that the flight to HEL has Clun Europe whilst back from DME/SVO it’s Club World have any baring?
Old May 19, 2019, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joshm300
That will be a really interesting holiday if you’ve not been that part of the world before.
Im hoping so. We’ve not been to any of these destinations before, so on one hand the suspension of LED will allow us to turn a twin-centre holiday into a three-centre.

thanks for the suggestions.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bakera
I remember the distance equation, but thought that there was something else as well. Does the fact that the flight to HEL has Clun Europe whilst back from DME/SVO it’s Club World have any baring?
For a redemption, distance is the only thing that matters.

If you're buying a cash fare, then the fare components used to price the itinerary also have to be combinable with each other. That's more tricky, but tools like ITA can quickly show you whether any fares on the routes in question are combinable with each other.
bakera likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:28 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
For some reason I thought there were issues visa wise coming in from (rather than out to) Finland. I may be getting confused with Belarus. And/or car versus train travel. Seat 61 doesn't mention anything.
https://www.seat61.com/helsinki-to-s...g-by-train.htm

StP to Moscow and back by rail is super easy.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:31 am

Not BA related (apart from the route suspension) but last trip I used the 3 day visa free rule to go to StP by ferry from HEL.
https://stpeterline.com/visa-free-rule
Old May 19, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by madfish
Just remember your Russian visa.
Also, since you talked about taking a train from Helsinki to Russia, pay attention to the dates when your visa is valid. The Helsinki-Moscow night train is somewhat of a visa trap because some people forget to check on which side of midnight you check the border and either try entering the country half an hour before the visa becomes valid, or exiting eight hours and a half after the visa expired. This is not something you would want to experience.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
You're doing the same trip as me! Initially were going to fly LHR-LED, fly up to Moscow, take the famous( forget it's name right now) back to LED and fly back. Now looking to alter it to Finnair-Nordic outbound then just fly back direct on BA DME-LHR.

Happy to share great places including a secret speakeasy bar most Helsinki residents don't know about. Going for my Birthday in November ( this year) and will do a trip report once we get back
bakera likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Some person
Also, since you talked about taking a train from Helsinki to Russia, pay attention to the dates when your visa is valid. The Helsinki-Moscow night train is somewhat of a visa trap because some people forget to check on which side of midnight you check the border and either try entering the country half an hour before the visa becomes valid, or exiting eight hours and a half after the visa expired. This is not something you would want to experience.
I have travelled with someone (unrelated) who did this accidentally. They will byb for a number of hours but unless you are on some sort of list you will probably be OK. Basically the same situation as entering the UK with dodgy documents. I was glad it was happening to someone else not me
Old May 20, 2019, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
You're doing the same trip as me! Initially were going to fly LHR-LED, fly up to Moscow, take the famous( forget it's name right now) back to LED and fly back. Now looking to alter it to Finnair-Nordic outbound then just fly back direct on BA DME-LHR.

Happy to share great places including a secret speakeasy bar most Helsinki residents don't know about. Going for my Birthday in November ( this year) and will do a trip report once we get back
Great minds think alike! This trip will be for my wife's 50th next year. I'd be very greatful of any recomendations and look forward to reading your trip report.
BTW - the train from St. P to Moscow is the Sapsan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.