Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

JNB temporary lounge arrangements from 23 May 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 8:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Posted on the trade site this morning:
Temporary lounge location at Johannesburg

From Thursday 23 May 2019, the British Airways Galleries First and Galleries Club Lounge at (Johannesburg) O.R. Tambo International Airport International Departures Terminal will close to allow construction work.

The newly developed lounge is planned to reopen in October 2019 and, during the construction, lounge eligible customers are invited to relax and dine in alternative lounges.

Customers will be notified in advance via MMB, email and also managed locally at the airport.
  • First customers (plus guests) will be invited to use the Slow Lounge
  • Club World, Gold and Silver in WTP and WT (BA50, BA56 and BA54) will be invited to use the Aspire Lounge
Steve_ZA and acucobol like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Thank you for posting the news. It's good that we finally have a date for this work!

I wonder whether Golds and Silvers will continue to be allowed to guest during this period.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Would have been nice if Golds in CW could use the SLOW lounge but I think there might be capacity issues there.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:43 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
We got diverted to the Aspire lounge a few months ago (January) when the BA lounges had a flooding issue - it's a reasonable improvement!
Old May 17, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
5 months is a little optimistic for the new BA lounge to be ready in.

I wonder whether we'll see any dedicated First lounge at JNB-post refurb, or at least some form of dedicated area for F pax such as a Concorde Bar.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
What is the SLOW lounge like? We will be there in September. We have Priority Pass... should we consider other lounges?

Last edited by AlwaysOnTheRoad; May 17, 2019 at 10:17 am
Old May 17, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I'm on BA54 on the 25th...

MMB still says Galleries Lounge. We'll see how long it takes them to update.

Last edited by bse118; May 17, 2019 at 10:37 am Reason: reading comprehension problems on my part...
Old May 17, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
What is the SLOW lounge like? We will be there in September. We have Priority Pass... should we consider other lounges?
SLOW lounge is extremely good (streets ahead of the now temporarily defunct BA First Lounge section), no need to consider anything else.
Filthy Monkey likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BA GGL
Agreed. It’s a whole lot nicer than the awful BA lounge.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:29 am

lucky you! I’ve not been in the JNB SLOW, but the one in CPT is one of the best lounges I’ve been in. We looked enviously at it as we trudged past to the dump of a
BA F lounge in JNB.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
As others have mentioned, SLOW lounge is amazing! BA (operated by Comair) uses that lounge for their intra-Africa flights ^
Old May 17, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
We have used the SLOW lounge for domestic flights. Is there a comparable lounge at JNB for international?
Old May 17, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
We have used the SLOW lounge for domestic flights. Is there a comparable lounge at JNB for international?
Yes. It will necessarily be the SLOW lounge on the international side that's used for BA mainline departures.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
There's a SLOW lounge for international flights too.. It's comparable to, well, the domestic one...

SLOW
Old May 17, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One can only hope that the refurb includes many more seats and much better a/c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.