Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time CW solo - advice please

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 3:33 pm

I always say,feel free to close the divider when your ready.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
53A/K for me. Last time out the divider went up asap and I was served around the footstool end of my seat by a very obliging crew member, although he said they are not supposed to, he always did if he saw the divider up.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
You talked to a stranger in Club 😮

Divider goes straight up as soon as it can (immediately after safety demo on everything except the A380).
Agree with the first line 😁

Can I ask why the exception on the A380 - what am I missing?
Old May 13, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: Iberia
My CW flights are almost always solo whether business or pleasure. One trip with mom and we sat in aisle seats across from each other. I generally select aisle because I am short and can't get over the aisle seat of a sleeping passenger without waking them and the rear facing window with aisle access are usually already taken (last minute business bookings).

This describes me pretty well
Originally Posted by pacenotes
. . .
I'm an introvert and maybe the champers helped but the flight really flew by and maybe it was a what it could of been but once the doors opened we said goodbye and that was it. Maybe in my own mind, I was like it didn't matter what I said I'll never see them again.
I've had a few occasions where the barrier never went up as the passenger on the other side and I had great conversations off and on throughout the flight. One of them thanked me as having someone to talk to eased her fear of flying on such a long flight.

The one thing I do find awkward as a solo traveler is being stuck in one of the middle "honeymoon" CW seats. That is just weird. One time a couple was split between CW and WT and they kept switching back and forth about every hour.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: QFF, VA, IHG
Not travelling solo (but with Mrs Aus ATC) and have selected 53JK for our HKG-LHR leg - the information here is great in confirming we have made the right choice. I suspect the divider will be staying down...… Guess who will be getting 53K!
Old May 13, 2019, 10:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GCab
Can I ask why the exception on the A380 - what am I missing?
The power system on the A380 is handled differently from the other longhaul jets, with the upshot that the screens can only be switched upwards after take off. It isn't as long as waiting for the seatbelt signs to go off, so typically a few minutes into the flight.
===
Personally I just press the button at about that stage anyway, regardless of aircraft. If I have had more than a brief exchange of pleasantries with the aisle passenger then I may gesture to the IFE screen or headphones and say "excuse me". If I detect the aisle passenger is a nervous flyer, which is about a quarter of flyers, then I may say something like "I hope you don't mind if I put the screens up when we take off", since the sudden whirring noise during their most anxious phase can scare some people. Even the presence of the screen may be a novelty to these passengers.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
53A/K for me. Last time out the divider went up asap and I was served around the footstool end of my seat by a very obliging crew member, although he said they are not supposed to, he always did if he saw the divider up.
Last time I had 53K they did the same thing too
FeedbirdNiner likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.