Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club World: Any tips for a middle seat novice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 6:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

I’ve been assigned a main deck middle seat on this evening’s overnight flight to HKG. This will be a new experience for me, so I’m unfamiliar with the screen arrangements between the E and F seats and the degree of personal privacy they provide. Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Old May 11, 2019, 6:20 am

I had one of these last year. It’s a bit claustrophobic although you are entirely surrounded and when the screens are up it’s very private. Screens on each side. Or it’s a case of having two faces staring at you!

And you have two options to get into the aisle so pick the one where you don’t need to clamber over someone’s legs!
Old May 11, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Prospero
I’ve been assigned a main deck middle seat on this evening’s overnight flight to HKG. This will be a new experience for me, so I’m unfamiliar with the screen arrangements between the E and F seats and the degree of personal privacy they provide. Any insight would be greatly appreciated
In reality it’s not really any different than being in a window seat, other than you don’t have a window
Old May 11, 2019, 6:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Hope for an opup!

But if main deck I assume you are referring to the middle pair of seats (EF) on theA380 rather than the upper deck with the single middle seat.

If so, there are currently 3 blocked aisle seats on the upper deck if you are able to switch.

Last edited by madfish; May 11, 2019 at 6:43 am
Old May 11, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I had one of these last year. It’s a bit claustrophobic although you are entirely surrounded and when the screens are up it’s very private. Screens on each side. Or it’s a case of having two faces staring at you!

And you have two options to get into the aisle so pick the one where you don’t need to clamber over someone’s legs!
As I understood it, Prospero has been assigned one of the middle seats in a block of 4 on the main deck (seats E and F), not one of the middle seats in a block of 3. Do those seats have a screen between them?
Old May 11, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
There is a screen and it'll go to about half way down the seat squab. While this doesn't sound like much it is in my view fairly effective.
I've flown next to a stranger a few times in this config and while not ideal isn't too bad.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:48 am

They have a small pull out screen which someone on here once described as like putting a tea tray near the headboard of a double bed.

If there are solo middle seats upstairs, I'd go for those in a heartbeat.
george77300 likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Thanks for help. I can visualise the set up thanks to your descriptions of the screen arrangement. I loaded some content onto my iPad to watch on board so am happy there is at least a barrier to prevent any light spilling into my neighbour's space.

I received an opup earlier today and obviously enornously thankful to have been selected.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:49 am

Hope you don’t have someone sitting next to you, that’s about all I can offer. It’s great on your own or with a partner you know, less so with a random.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s more private than WT+ at least...

My biggest concern is shifting around while asleep and either disturbing your neighbour or being disturbed by them! The overall space isn’t too claustrophobic though the hop over for aisle access is annoying.

Always worth checking with guest services should something more desirable pop up close in.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have taken the middle seat pair as a single passenger fairly recently, on a 747 and it was like having a private suite really, with copious space. It wasn't a bulkhead, which would have been even better, but as it happened one of the aisle passengers didn't use his foot-stall at all, for some reason. These are 747 photos below, but I think the 380 is identical. The 787 middles are better than aisle seats for me, not least the extra side room and the side cabinet.

In:

Out:

Still it is always worth having a conversation with someone in the First Wing to see if there are any late changes and other options. If you get the pair to yourself I would certainly stick with that over an exposed aisle such as at the front of a cabin section.
Prospero likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Yes, at the First Wing, we viewed the available alternatives and settled with an upper middle seat. Now cozying in, earphone operation checked, seat motor operation check, glass of fizz check.

Of particular note, since the dawn of The White Company era, this is the first time I’ve taken a middle solo seat. The bedding container does fit inside the secret locker beneath the right arm rest, providing you remove the duvet. Fortunately the duvet fits inside the low level drawer. So despite the slight asymmetry everything appears to be balanced.

Thanks again for your help
Old May 11, 2019, 12:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And here is the picture of how that storage area works. This is just in the single middle seats of the 787s and 380s.

Old May 11, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Looking at these EF seats in the main cabin, as a solo traveller, having to sit next to a stranger the Club World Suite can’t come soon enough
Old May 11, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Looking at these EF seats in the main cabin, as a solo traveller, having to sit next to a stranger the Club World Suite can’t come soon enough
but as CWS says, these seats can be pretty good when it is just you. Your own mini suite.

Thanks CWS for the secret locker pic. I’ve flown on the middle solo seat once before and I completely missed it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.